Preview Round 1 - Brisbane Lions v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You seem to be the common denomitator though, lukiusmacsimus. I know you don't post often, but when you do you seem to get your back up about something. The forum is a dialogue, not a soapbox, so if you put something out there you need to be comfortable with people presenting a counterpoint if they don't agree. Don't think of it as a personal attack, but healthy debate.

I realise that you don't post much and it must be frustrating if someone argues against you during that time during those brief times, but try to see it in a more constructive light, rather than a personal attack.

Hang on, did you read my first post?, I was not on a soap box at all. It was a carefully measured point that alot of other readers enjoyed. Dlanod decided to take it out of context, and start a boring, fruitless argument that was honestly just a waste of time.

Congrats on the persecution. Anyone who posted the same would have gotten the same response - and often does. People who claim the club might be taking games for granted because supporters do always set off my stupidity meter.

oh so Brisbane Lions fans arguing the club might take games for granted because the fans do happens on a regular basis? this happens all the time? when was the last time a Lions fan would have argued that?, and just generally, whhhaaaaat?. How about we stop aimlessly debating this confusing non topic and discuss what my first post was addressing - how our young side is going to deal with the favouritism and hype going into a round one clash?

Lukiusmaximus said,,,,"As has been mentioned, the only way that we will lose this game is through arrogance or complacency. The only possible downside to the NAB cup victory that I can see,is if the players assume they are now accomplished or already good enough and thus - relax and walk with a winners strut prematurely. If we do this we will be hit quickly with a reality check. Whilst I believe we are indeed on the up, we must approach every single game with the hunger and humility of a bottom four side desperate to win every contest, as we did toward the end of last season."

Like your post. All fair opinion. It certainly needs to be recognised as I'm sure it has been by Vossy and Co.;)

Thanks, I thought it was a very relevant topic worth discussing, apparently not?? :)

I rest my case...another alias.

..thereby never really knowing for sure, so no trust for the poster....and made to feel like something is being put over you..

nah, me no like this alias crap.:thumbsdown:

Nice to see them worried on the Doggies board about which of our midfielders to tag. Good to see that perceptions of our increased midfield depth aren't just coming from us.

Can't tag Rich, Rockliff and Zorko all at the same time :)

Bet Moloney is going to love the lessened attention as well.
Yeah, some are of the belief taggers are a dieing breed - ask Dangerfield of Hocking or Fyfe/Selwood.

Yes, it is a legitimate question the doggie board is asking and Voss [I assume] will be smiling in the knowledge that he has a plan B, C and possibly even a D with a Karnny!

Hang on, did you read my first post?, I was not on a soap box at all. It was a carefully measured point that alot of other readers enjoyed. Dlanod decided to take it out of context, and start a boring, fruitless argument that was honestly just a waste of time.
I did read your first post, but that wasn't what I was referring to. I shouldn't have said 'soapbox', I'm sorry, I should have said 'monologue'. Anyway, the point is that it would be a good idea to expect to have to support your argument. I always say that I really really like it when people supply contrary opinions and ideas, because it leads to great robust discussion, so please continue to do so. But expect counter-arguments.

Couldn't help but laugh, after reading this thread, I popped onto the Lions' site, and was welcomed with the headline "Voss wary of Bulldogs' bite". I think this is definitely a sign that Voss is underestimating the doggies, because he's clearly spending all his time on Bigfooty :p

I did read your first post, but that wasn't what I was referring to. I shouldn't have said 'soapbox', I'm sorry, I should have said 'monologue'. Anyway, the point is that it would be a good idea to expect to have to support your argument. I always say that I really really like it when people supply contrary opinions and ideas, because it leads to great robust discussion, so please continue to do so. But expect counter-arguments.

No I totally agree. Thanks for the clarification, I didn't understand the argument so i found it hard to engage in any meaningful response. I will try to not become irrational in the future. I welcome any debate, and should expect is as my posts are generally on the more interesting side of things.

Couldn't help but laugh, after reading this thread, I popped onto the Lions' site, and was welcomed with the headline "Voss wary of Bulldogs' bite". I think this is definitely a sign that Voss is underestimating the doggies, because he's clearly spending all his time on Bigfooty :p

Good to know we are on the same wave length, I wonder I the notion led to debate in the meeting room!? :)

Indeed, I disagree... and wish to post my current point of view is that I will possibly be opposed to your next post.

And I standby my point of view... until I contradict it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay, let's talk lineups.

Libba39 posted his side on the WB board tonight, but I modified it by putting Claye Smith in the place of Cooney who is expected to miss. Their side could look something like this:
B: Morris Roughead Picken
HB: Johanissen Markovic Goodes
C: Griffen Wallis Higgins
HF Dahlhaus Jones Murphy
FF Gia Cordy Smith
FOL: Minson Lower Liberatore
INT: Stevens Dickson Stringer
SUB: Hrovat

And I reckon ours will looks something like this:

FB: Adcock Merrett Patfull
HB: Golby Maguire Yeo
C: Karnezis Raines Rich
HF: Zorko Martin Rockliff
FF: McGrath Brown Cornelius
R: Longer Redden Moloney
INTER: Hanley Beams Bewick Green (s)
EMG: Polkinghorne, Docherty, Lester

I don't actually see Polks missing, but I have no idea who he forces out.

Really hard to talk match-ups with the Dogs, as it seems I don't really know much about them. Actually, based on these lineups, I wouldn't be surprised to see Goose sitting out this week.

Really hard to talk match-ups with the Dogs, as it seems I don't really know much about them. Actually, based on these lineups, I wouldn't be surprised to see Goose sitting out this week.

Going to go a bit left field here and say Raines out for Mayes to debut. He played as Sub for the GF and didnt get much chance to do a lot. They may see him as someone who still needs to early that spot. Wouldnt be surprised to see Ace as the Sub and Green starting. Makes strange sense to me, as Ace tends to have a good first quarter then fade out.

Going to go a bit left field here and say Raines out for Mayes to debut. He played as Sub for the GF and didnt get much chance to do a lot.

Mayes didn't play in the NAB GF. I suspect you are thinking of Docherty.

I'm sure your tongue is firmly in cheek, but is there any element of truth in your statement?

I ask because I've long admired Boyd. Yeah, he can be wasteful, but I thought the good (winning of the pill) still far outweighed the bad (disposal). Granted, I've not seen many doggies games these past couple of years - is that not still the case?

How's the Dogs midfield lining up these days anyway? What roles do the different guys play? Would appreciate your input.

There is an element of truth in there. He burns the ball a lot under no pressure. His good does outweigh his bad though.

One area we can replace pretty easily is inside mids so if we get belted it has nothing to do with the loss of Boyd and more to do with the fact we are pretty poor in every other area of the ground.

Our midfield is pretty much an inside mid cluster****. With Picken the only player that plays a defined role (tagger). Everyone else is expected to win the hard ball as their #1 focus. We don't really have any receivers in the side other than Griffen but he wins the hard ball too and is tagged every match so doesn't really get any easy ball. If cooney doesn't get back to near his best this will be the same case this season.

With the addition of Lower who's been doing very well as a tagger I think Mcartney might play Picken in other areas of the ground as a defensive player either up forward or back.

Okay, let's talk lineups.

Libba39 posted his side on the WB board tonight, but I modified it by putting Claye Smith in the place of Cooney who is expected to miss. Their side could look something like this:

Polks will force Beams out.

Sheesh, it's going to be harder to get games into Polec, Mayes, Docherty and Paparone with a line-up like that.

He's well in the mix.

And to try and back this up, Beams was one of ten players that participated in all 5 NAB Cup games.

I believe he wore the green vest in the GF to manage his minutes (like Moloney & Rocky vs GWS) and not a sign that he'd just missed the cut.

And out of interest, only 5 players actually played all 5 games without being a sub (Bewick, Zorko, Martin, Polks and Yeo).

Wow. Clearly lowering your expectations and preparing for the worst.

Then come Thursday, you get an overwhelming surprise when Vossy picks Beams.

He's well in the mix.
Honestly? Yes.

But at the same time in an unbiased way, I believe the only players that could get pushed out for Polkinghorne (From your line-up) would be: Beams, Ace, Yeo and Bewick.

Which of those players is the most similar to Polkinghorne? Beams.

In my eyes, Claye is 10x the player that Polks is (Biased alert) but clearly he plays a role in the team that is needed and admired by the coaching staff, which is fine by me.

If I could change your line-up I would actually drop Ace for Polks, Make Bewick the sub and put Green in the pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back