Preview Round 1: Bulldogs vs Fremantle, March 27 2016, Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about this during the week and I see it completely the opposite. Silvagni and de Boer were our depth in 2013 and that hasn't changed the expectations of a lot of posters that all our rookies with no experience are solid depth and are going to come out and automatically replace experienced players is wrong IMO. I don't think we've developed much depth at all, partly because a lot of our 3-6yr draftees didn't make the grade and also the onees that are still here simply don't have the experience.

If we don't give them some consistent footy early in the season then it leaves us exposed later in the year when we are forced to play them due to injuries later on. This has basically happened every year since Lyon got here.

Many Freo supporters appear to present a case that our young players are not getting better, because we are not giving them enough chances/exposure to AFL. I struggle with this. Sometimes we just need to accept that some of our younger players just aren't good enough to be 200+gamers at an AFL level. Neale, Taberner, Crozier, Sutcliffe, Sheridan have all been given plenty of chances. Only Neale has really taken his opportunities and proven himself. Sheridan appears to be slowly moving in the right direction (and I think RTB loves him), and after several patient seasons, now may start getting full games. Taberner as a big bodied forward, still needs some time to develop to see. Crozier just hasn't taken that next step. I believe Sutcliffe has been given too many chances, isn't improving, yet he keeps his position.

RTB has shown faith in youth when the talent is there. When fit, Alex Pearce has been given game time.
Then you have the likes of Bennell, a 23 (EDIT: I had 22, Cheers Patty_Moz) year old, full of talent, who once fit will be an automatic starter.
Weller, Hughes, Langdon, Grey ... may become good (or even great) players for Freo, but they just aren't that good right now. They need to earn their spots.

Once again, the Hawks average age was older than Freo's in our Prelim loss last year. That is, if you want to follow the Hawks lead, you would favour age and experience over youth every day. Can we please stop with the RTB hate and blame for lack of youth? It's just not backed up by actual facts.

Last edited:
One thing about Alex Silvani I am sure about is that there will be a contest where he will make the Dogs player really earn it.

Not elbow to the head, but a huge spoil that crunches one of the dogs five non tall forwards.

Dawson and Spurr also have the same 'take no prisoners' approach so there's a high chance of it raining blood. Imagine Brady Grey in there too.

Silvagni is a great matchup for Stringer, got strength, height, not scared of a high ball.

The Same Silvagni that got embarrassed by Jack Darling? A similar but lesser player then Stringer.

Weller in?? Does Ross know we're playing at Etihad :eek:
Enough Beetz :p. Anywhere is good that he play Ross never play youth or give false indication to the media when he said the three amigo not ready.

One thing about Alex Silvani I am sure about is that there will be a contest where he will make the Dogs player really earn it.

Not elbow to the head, but a huge spoil that crunches one of the dogs five non tall forwards.

This is true. I noticed Alex outmuscle Pav a number of times at training. He's so strong in the contest. I worry about his pace though. A player like Stringer could run him all over the ground. I'd expect Silvagni to drop back and pick up another player and let someone like Sutcliffe take him.

This is true. I noticed Alex outmuscle Pav a number of times at training. He's so strong in the contest. I worry about his pace though. A player like Stringer could run him all over the ground. I'd expect Silvagni to drop back and pick up another player and let someone like Sutcliffe take him.

I still think it'll be Sherro because of his pace.

Surely too small. Ibbo I reckon.

Well ideally Ibbo won't have any direct opponent for most of the game because with McPharlin retired and MJ injured he's our best intercept defender/loose man whatever you want to call it and Ross will never abandon that role. I don't have confidence in anyone else doing it even half as effectively as him. I'm now thinking that Sutcliffe will start off running with him on Sunday or maybe even Suban/Mzungu to get more left field. My worry is him dragging his man into the midfield and exposing them/disrupting our defensive structure.

All this angst and he'll probably end up with two kicks :straining:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think it'll be Sherro because of his pace.
It is a bold play, and huge vote of confidence for the player who will hopefully be our primary drive out of defence to be manned up on their most damaging forward.

If Sherro gets off the chain and has 30 touches Stringer will get a bake about being unaccountable and drop his offensive effectiveness.

Risky play.

It is a bold play, and huge vote of confidence for the player who will hopefully be our primary drive out of defence to be manned up on their most damaging forward.

If Sherro gets off the chain and has 30 touches Stringer will get a bake about being unaccountable and drop his offensive effectiveness.

Risky play.

Brad Johnson Reckons our entire season hinges on the drive from Tom Sheridan. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Seriously, if Freo lets Sutcliffe take Springer ... then you might as well mark Springer down with 5 before half time.

The Bulldogs defense is very short.
What do people know of Marcus Adams (ex West Perth)? Besides him, Morris (190cm) is the Bullies only other 190cm+ defender. Surely if Zac Clarke is ever set to make his mark on a game, this will be it.

Brad Johnson Reckons our entire season hinges on the drive from Tom Sheridan.
We were pretty bad with goals on the rebound last season and only managed to finish top.

Sheridan is a scope for improvement so I see where he is coming from but the problem with former players being the commentators is that they aren't guaranteed to be able to have a grasp of more complicated issued.

De Boer wasn't depth two years ago, he was firmly entrenched in the best 22.
The rest of your sentence doesn't make sense to me. I am sorry. The expectation is wrong? Rookies will automatically replace experienced players is wrong?
I think the fact that Peel has improved is a good indication that Freo's depth has improved. It's certainly not down to their coach being any better.
The Hawthorn way is for the players to get a wealth of experience in the twos before becoming a regular in the firsts. Yes, there have been exceptions, but for every Cyril there have been half a dozen Michael Tucks or Sicilys. The other thing they have been able to do is recruit elite players to their club. No other team except Sydney has been as successful at this, this year Freo got Bennell, and Geelong got a few players which will make things interesting.

Ok so we've moved de Boer out of the 22 but he was never a top 5-10 player and still in the top 25. Most of the guys you mentioned have played between 1 and 3 games and I just don't buy into any talk that they can be considered proven AFL depth. I went to talk from Barlow and Spurr during the week and they mentioned that Ross wasn't happy that Peel (Freo's B team) lost to a WAFL side on the weekend.

Crozier is the perfect example in my mind about our so called depth. He was everyone shining light for the last 2 years now everyone has cast him aside cos he hasn't had the best preseason. I see most of the guys you mentioned in the same boat, shining lights that we hope will burn brightly but so far not proven at AFL level yet, therefore not proven depth yet. So much can happen to these young guys think of Simpson, Pitt, Roberton, Mora all different examples of what can go wrong. Or they just get some niggling little issues and their form waivers for the season.

In my mind guys like Crozier who have played 30+ games are the ones we should be looking to for depth but he has dropped a bit for whatever reason. I'm not saying any of the players you mentioned won't make it but they need to be played more before we can rely on them consistently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back