Preview Round 1: Bulldogs vs Fremantle, March 27 2016, Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

People speak as though our team being little changed from 2013 as a bad thing. I see it as a rather big plus. Stable, mature teams are contenders come finals. Young, unstable teams are contenders for the bottom 4.
As an aside I thought Pav looked very proppy and sluggish this morning. What do other watchers think?

"Lachie Weller and Alex Silvagni have also been selected in the TABtouch 22 after strong performances for Peel last weekend in the WAFL." on the freo site
great news! Weller obviously I love the kid but I've made note a couple of times this pre-season how good Silvagni has looked. He deserves the start!

People speak as though our team being little changed from 2013 as a bad thing. I see it as a rather big plus. Stable, mature teams are contenders come finals. Young, unstable teams are contenders for the bottom 4.
As an aside I thought Pav looked very proppy and sluggish this morning. What do other watchers think?
I don't think neither good nor bad rather a contrast between us and hawthorn from 2013 to now.
Both don't play young player,

hawthorn three flag with greater depth, risk a bit with their form last season with home and away.

Freo - 1 GF , out with double chance , out preliminary final.

great news! Weller obviously I love the kid but I've made note a couple of times this pre-season how good Silvagni has looked. He deserves the start!
Silva well deserved good pre season and play well last week with peel.if he stay injuries free will be a big plus for us.

Clancee, de Boer and A Pearce the emergencies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking about this during the week and I see it completely the opposite. Silvagni and de Boer were our depth in 2013 and that hasn't changed the expectations of a lot of posters that all our rookies with no experience are solid depth and are going to come out and automatically replace experienced players is wrong IMO. I don't think we've developed much depth at all, partly because a lot of our 3-6yr draftees didn't make the grade and also the onees that are still here simply don't have the experience.

If we don't give them some consistent footy early in the season then it leaves us exposed later in the year when we are forced to play them due to injuries later on. This has basically happened every year since Lyon got here.

De Boer wasn't depth two years ago, he was firmly entrenched in the best 22.
The rest of your sentence doesn't make sense to me. I am sorry. The expectation is wrong? Rookies will automatically replace experienced players is wrong?
I think the fact that Peel has improved is a good indication that Freo's depth has improved. It's certainly not down to their coach being any better.
The Hawthorn way is for the players to get a wealth of experience in the twos before becoming a regular in the firsts. Yes, there have been exceptions, but for every Cyril there have been half a dozen Michael Tucks or Sicilys. The other thing they have been able to do is recruit elite players to their club. No other team except Sydney has been as successful at this, this year Freo got Bennell, and Geelong got a few players which will make things interesting.

Sydney - got eye on recycle player from other team, academy player , and trade premium free agencies player such as buddy.
Hawthorn- good second team, recruit player that they wanted.
Freo - recruit good young player ,
Whether to risk or not to risk them expose or fasttrack them to afl earlier for this 3 year near misses towards flag with senior star and footsoldiers getting three year older.

Nah, late in the session he was sprinting at top pace on west wing and looked fine.
I didn't notice any hesitancy in the Sims they were doing either.
Same with Spurr. His fitness test was strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back