Autopsy Round 1: Loss against the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

2. I think three times today a player kicked across the ground in a loopy manner between half back and half forward. Each time it was to a static player who was overrun by advancing defenders. I find this very painful to my brain to watch.
3. When we have three talls in attack why do they so often stay close together and contest the same marking contest impeding each other.

Defence today saved us from further humilation. Cox Young Pearce and Ryan Thank You. **** me they were missing half a dozen walk up starts.

Last edited:
Also our smalls gave us nothing in the forward line. Or we just didn't play enough smalls. There was never anyone there at the fall of the ball. Played way too tall for no reward at all.
I wonder if we went in too tall. It was supposed to be pretty hot in Melbourne today (even with the roof closed) - they looked clumsy and slow, and their smalls were able to crumb better than us.

Also our smalls gave us nothing in the forward line. Or we just didn't play enough smalls. There was never anyone there at the fall of the ball. Played way too tall for no reward at all.

Thought Schultz and Switkowski were great up the ground in contests and both took important mark(s). Also did their job of scoring.

Our midfield was AWFUL. Also you were right on the Walker front, we needed him badly against this opposition.

Not surprised by the result. Reality check for those that thought we were a top 4 side and getting offended by journos putting us outside the 8. We might scrape in from home wins, but we aren't contending for several years. You can't be a serious side if you can't kick goals.

Needs to be a big change in coaching philosophy. Tactics and team selection. The problem with the tactics is how do you just change that after a pre-season training a certain gameplan? But we need to be getting as many games as possible into the likes of Amiss, Johnson, Erasmus, Sturt, Walker, O'Driscoll in the side. Just reading that list should show how we are several years away ... they are a major part of our future and none of them are in the side for various reasons.

No system, no desire and a really disappointing 1st up effort being watched from an expectant membership led to believe we might be on the cusp of something.
No system? Its the system thats so obviously broken.
I saw enough opportunities bombed today to suggest it wasn't the method.

More the execution moving inside 50.

How many times will forwards drop a basic chest mark before they catch one.

Or not kick to open players inside 50.

We missed plenty of opportunities to put them away in the 3rd quarter and didn't left the door ajar and they pounced.

We kicked 7.10 probably 3 to 4 behinds were kickable and kicked at least 1 OOF.
It is the method. When you move the ball that slow there will ALWAYS being 200 blokes in your forward line which means there are no easy entries. And because JL is so risk averse you wouldn't take the better entries anyway because if you turn it over there you get scored against. So we get to the 50 and bomb it which makes the forwards look ordinary because they are always in packs. Add in some round 1 rustiness and general lack of ability and you get that.

Its the whole reason you move the ball fast, so the defence is less organised and forwards can get space or at least 1v1 .

If we're not going to move it fast, we need to delist/trade every below good kick in the team and draft smart forwards. You can move it slow when every player on your team kicks like S.Mitchell or Birchall and your forwards know how to find space.

The forward line looked so much more cohesive in the pre season games. Everyone had space. Today was 5 players going to the same contest leaving 6 saints to sweep up the mess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In all seriousness:
We got outworked, especially the mids.
Forwards were poor, I love Treacy but he's gotta stick marks or there's no point. Fyfe looked lost and devoid of confidence. Amiss has to come in for someone. Don't thinknTabs is untouchable either.
Defense was solid enough, but too much pressure to absorb.
We also tried to get too cute at times, at got ****ed for it.
Walters, NOD and Amiss are my ins. I liked Henry's game, so would lose Hughes (he was good, but sooooo slow on the ball).
The game has sped up now, we need to do the same. If we don't, we're done.

We'll improve, but fuuuuuck, gonna be another long year backing these purple mother****ers.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We took three first round picks 18 months ago and you couldnt open the preseason training thread this year without being overwhelmed by hubris and outright arrogance about how good we are, and how shit other several clubs including the saints are, then we went out and served up that dross?
Now if you are telling me that Erasmus, Johnson and Amiss can’t get a game ahead of some of the passengers we saw out there today - it means one of two things.
  • the match committee has lost their collective minds
  • we have picked three potato’s in the 2021 draft

Now I’ve seen enough of Amiss to indicate he’s a quality player, and going to put his absence down to a brain freeze by the match committee.
But if the other two can’t get a look into this side ahead of Brodie or JOM or Hughes, then jeez I don’t know.

Our ball movement typified by numerous players refusing positive forward movement and instead taking a one meter hand ball to a player under pressure.

Couldn’t get enough of it

Brayshaw is the biggest culprit. I love the bloke but **** me does he have some kind of aversion to passing forward. It has been a problem of his for years.

Not surprised by the result. Reality check for those that thought we were a top 4 side and getting offended by journos putting us outside the 8. We might scrape in from home wins, but we aren't contending for several years. You can't be a serious side if you can't kick goals.

Needs to be a big change in coaching philosophy. Tactics and team selection. The problem with the tactics is how do you just change that after a pre-season training a certain gameplan? But we need to be getting as many games as possible into the likes of Amiss, Johnson, Erasmus, Sturt, Walker, O'Driscoll in the side. Just reading that list should show how we are several years away ... they are a major part of our future and none of them are in the side for various reasons.

Needs a complete change of player type.
Goal kickers

Sturt, Corbett, Kuek etc need to be rotated through.

No injuries and a kick up the arse from a team that gave great effort. Thats the positive for what looks like a very talented group of players.
Great to hear the voice of reason in round 1. There's NO excuses, and there'll be a lot of discussion and changes. It's ok to feel deflated and disappointed, but some 'supporters' are going a bit overboard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1: Loss against the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back