Autopsy Round 1: Loss against the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

I blame myself. We've got a new puppy so I had this game on in the background after not watching for ~2 years. Mayne, Logue and now this. I'll just read the results from now on.

You know what I'm going to do. I'm going to put my phone down now. Pour myself a glass of icy cold coke and fire up the PS4 and kill some stuff

I'll put the loss down as one of those round 1 anomalies that happen.

So help me if the team plays like that again...

Mn0jDnv.png

Totally out coached. Backline near on faultless so time to put some effort into the mids and forwards. Have never seen such a disappointing result from our marking forwards in Tabs, Treacy, Fyfe and Jackson. Only Darcy looked like taking a mark forward. Mids very uncompetitive and poor ruck work from Darcy who clearly had an advantage. All this can be fixed fairly quickly but you really worry about our pathetic entries in the forward line. Clarkson is going to love reviewing our game!

By round 5 you'll all forget this and be scrambling over those GF Packages lol
love your optimism FG, bit scary though how awful our dysfunctional forward line was....feels like forever it hasn't been fixed since the Pav and Ballas days of old. Even then it was hardly Geelong-esque scary. Not only that, we're getting monstered out the middle and stoppages and starting to wonder if we are a bit too one-dimensional in there, no real bigger bodies like the Fyfe/Mundy/Barlow days. Also maybe even lacking in speed? Like Yazz sang, only way is up I guess and we didn't get pumped by 50 odd points like Brissy. Plus our 4th straight year away (I know, no excuses..). It's not like we're relevant in the eyes of the AFL until we make ourselves relevant

Oh well, back to reality. The season is here and we look rubbish...again.

For now

Disappointing, to say the least. Too much left up to the phenomenal work of the backline.

• Cox, Pearce, Young and Ryan were phenomenal - unfortunately left all up to them to try and pull us out of the mire.
  • Henry was excellent - probably the only midfielder who can walk off the ground with his head held high
  • Clark kept us in it in the first half but faded.
  • I'll get howled down for this, but I thought Jackson showed some glimpses and I think - provided we straighten this structural cluster**** out - he will be worth it in the long run. At least he was contesting 100 per cent.

• Some deeply bizarre stuff going on structurally, why did Jackson and Darcy keep going up for the same post-kickout contests? Why was Fyfe one-out deep and Tabs high when the opposite was working so well pre-season? Why was no-one leading or presenting - particularly when the ball movement kept grinding to a complete halt? Why were we kicking to
  • Where was the pressure? Several times we had three-four forwards or mids standing around the contest waiting to be fed while their smalls and mids just dove straight in and got it.
  • We got a Hughes deer-in-the-headlights turnover and a brainless Wilson free when the game was on the line. Stamp both their dance cards and get Walker and Johnson/Erasmus in.
  • Other than that brief patch in the third where everything clicked, Brodie, Jaeger and Serong were particularly ordinary and probably the worst offenders when it came to squibbing contests. Was astonished to see Caleb finished with 29.
  • The slipping over and dropping marks will end me if it continues.

Amiss for one of Treacy or Tabs as the high CHF target the bear minimum for next week, Fyfe needs to be the third tall and should never be the sole target. Sonny back in hopefully straightens out some of the silliness and disorganisation up forward as well.

Not panicking by any means, but they need a collective rocket.

I was painting my new home earlier....it was far more exciting than that. I should have carried on....

Absolutely awful, less than 60 points with a forward line that looks non-existent. Mids struggled to have any impact too, very fumbly. Oh dear, I was nervous about the bravado some fans were showing before this round rolled around, and look what's happened. You just never can wave that magic wand over cracks like this, there's too many. The thread": "where are our goals gonna come from in season 2023. Yeah, where? It now becomes a critical question lol!

Feels like we are dreaming if we think this is the way we're going to progress, me thinks I'll be giving J-Lo's presser a wide berth. He was right to feel anxiety before the bounce down, it clearly worked its way through the team. Hugely disappointing, one game I know but if that's indication - those who predicted our slide are probably right. Shitenzhouse

Watching that paint of yours dry would have been far more entertaining than watching Freo bumbling around pretending to be a football team.

Also our smalls gave us nothing in the forward line. Or we just didn't play enough smalls. There was never anyone there at the fall of the ball. Played way too tall for no reward at all.
Walters and Switkowski are our only true crumbers. Schultz plays more of a lead up and mark style of game. That’s about all we’ve got.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

love your optimism FG, bit scary though how awful our dysfunctional forward line was....feels like forever it hasn't been fixed since the Pav and Ballas days of old. Even then it was hardly Geelong-esque scary. Not only that, we're getting monstered out the middle and stoppages and starting to wonder if we are a bit too one-dimensional in there, no real bigger bodies like the Fyfe/Mundy/Barlow days. Also maybe even lacking in speed? Like Yazz sang, only way is up I guess and we didn't get pumped by 50 odd points like Brissy. Plus our 4th straight year away (I know, no excuses..). It's not like we're relevant in the eyes of the AFL until we make ourselves relevant

For now
Have some faith; we still have Amiss, O'Driscoll and Son Son

Fyfe might have benefitted in the centre, as that wasn't going very well either

For now
Brissy lost to a quality side yesterday…. The Saints ain’t quality and on top are missing a large chunk of their first choice players… no sugar coating this. If we played Porf Adelaide, we’d have been pumped by 100+

We took three first round picks 18 months ago and you couldnt open the preseason training thread this year without being overwhelmed by hubris and outright arrogance about how good we are, and how s**t other several clubs including the saints are, then we went out and served up that dross?
Now if you are telling me that Erasmus, Johnson and Amiss can’t get a game ahead of some of the passengers we saw out there today - it means one of two things.
  • the match committee has lost their collective minds
  • we have picked three potato’s in the 2021 draft

Now I’ve seen enough of Amiss to indicate he’s a quality player, and going to put his absence down to a brain freeze by the match committee.
But if the other two can’t get a look into this side ahead of Brodie or JOM or Hughes, then jeez I don’t know.
Brodie had one of his worst games for us today, but so did many others :(

:padlock:

The personnel could do it if the ball movement was better than WAFL mid table level.

Its not the result, its the method. It just won't work.

Yeah gotta agree with you here.

I feel like I should dig up my comments from when we got JLo, the side I would least like to imitate is Collingwood 2017-2018.

Slow switch and chip in the back half gives plenty of time for the opposition to get back and set up.

Our forwards don't move either, they literally just stand there because our forward half is so clogged up by the time the ball gets there. Peak Pav wouldn't have kicked a goal with the set up and service today (actually i'm sure he would have but no one else would).

We look better when we move it via fast handball chain but to do that you have to get the ball and go immediately, something we hate doing.

Every time Treacy drops a mark one of those Little Creatures brewery angels dies. Please Justin Longmuir, stop the needless slaughter of these beautiful creatures and pick Amiss next week.

Have some faith; we still have Amiss, O'Driscoll and Son Son

Fyfe might have benefitted in the centre, as that wasn't going very well either
I do have faith, I remember Round 2 last year - it was EXACTLY like this. It's just that hollow feeling when you've pumped up your team's tyres and then....you get this haha.

Also North are no slouches, and they'll be fired up off the back of that display coming over. Larkey is very dangerous. Alas..!!

It was hugely disappointing, but off I go...feed my dogs, who never let me down :)

We took three first round picks 18 months ago and you couldnt open the preseason training thread this year without being overwhelmed by hubris and outright arrogance about how good we are, and how s**t other several clubs including the saints are, then we went out and served up that dross?
Now if you are telling me that Erasmus, Johnson and Amiss can’t get a game ahead of some of the passengers we saw out there today - it means one of two things.
  • the match committee has lost their collective minds
  • we have picked three potato’s in the 2021 draft

Now I’ve seen enough of Amiss to indicate he’s a quality player, and going to put his absence down to a brain freeze by the match committee.
But if the other two can’t get a look into this side ahead of Brodie or JOM or Hughes, then jeez I don’t know.
I think it's more the fact that none of our young talent that wasn't picked today other than Amiss and Sturt show any potential as a regular goalkicker at AFL level.

And that's being generous towards Sturt - he's lucky to still be on a list.

It's been our biggest problem forever and we have gotten worse in this position every year that JL has been coach.

Btw Fyfe shitting himself and getting caught htb instead of kicking it forward was the catalyst. He's been amazing but he's not a natural forward.
Happens a lot tho. Its obvious to do the rugby thing in that situation and hit a scoop up and under kick into the forward line. AFL coaching is so so dumb that they dont tell players to do that????

Disappointing, to say the least. Too much left up to the phenomenal work of the backline.

• Cox, Pearce, Young and Ryan were phenomenal - unfortunately left all up to them to try and pull us out of the mire.
  • Henry was excellent - probably the only midfielder who can walk off the ground with his head held high
  • Clark kept us in it in the first half but faded.
  • I'll get howled down for this, but I thought Jackson showed some glimpses and I think - provided we straighten this structural cluster* out - he will be worth it in the long run. At least he was contesting 100 per cent.

• Some deeply bizarre stuff going on structurally, why did Jackson and Darcy keep going up for the same post-kickout contests? Why was Fyfe one-out deep and Tabs high when the opposite was working so well pre-season? Why was no-one leading or presenting - particularly when the ball movement kept grinding to a complete halt? Why were we kicking to
  • Where was the pressure? Several times we had three-four forwards or mids standing around the contest waiting to be fed while their smalls and mids just dove straight in and got it.
  • We got a Hughes deer-in-the-headlights turnover and a brainless Wilson free when the game was on the line. Stamp both their dance cards and get Walker and Johnson/Erasmus in.
  • Other than that brief patch in the third where everything clicked, Brodie, Jaeger and Serong were particularly ordinary and probably the worst offenders when it came to squibbing contests. Was astonished to see Caleb finished with 29.
  • The slipping over and dropping marks will end me if it continues.

Amiss for one of Treacy or Tabs as the high CHF target the bear minimum for next week, Fyfe needs to be the third tall and should never be the sole target. Sonny back in hopefully straightens out some of the silliness and disorganisation up forward as well.

Not panicking by any means, but they need a collective rocket.
How do you miss all of the frustrating turnovers by Henry, yet hang Hughes? shows how we all see the game differently.

I agree with you about Jackson - he showed a lot of positive glimpses.

The surface on Marvel was supposedly sub standard all weekend, and we were 'lucky' not to sustain injuries like other clubs did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1: Loss against the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back