Autopsy Round 1: Loss against the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah that’s absolutely pathetic, a summer of all talk and a bunch of players that are too lazy to work hard.

I’ve had enough of hearing how good our young mids are, they’re an absolute liability, never win the contest and just bomb it on our forwards heads.

Serong can gtfo tbh, gets beaten most weeks

The joke's on the AFL, giving us the hardest draw like we were going to do something this year.
The joke's also on those of us that spent time engaging with media and other supporters who said they can't see where we can kick enough goals to be a threat.
What was that? Wrong team, wrong game plan, massive let down.

Worst forward line in AFL…
Non existent midfield….
Lose to an opposition missing 9 of their starting 22…
Lose to your former coach who utilises the same boring parking the bus coaching strategy…
Welcome to 2023 season Fremantle fans 🤩🤩

Yeah that’s absolutely pathetic, a summer of all talk and a bunch of players that are too lazy to work hard.

I’ve had enough of hearing how good our young mids are, they’re an absolute liability, never win the contest and just bomb it on our forwards heads.

Serong can gtfo tbh, gets beaten most weeks
He hasn't been playing well since he has been made VC - too much pressure for someone so young?

I am not going to panic

Saints at Docklands has always been a tough game. Even in the halcyon days of 2012-2015 when we were at our peak. We struggled.

Round 1 rustiness was to be expected even though it's not a excuse.

5 goals in 4 quarters we got 2 other gifts from 50m penalties.

And if you want to get technical 4 out of 7 goals we're from free kicks.

Be nice to have a home game in round 1 once in a while. Convenient the VFL don't let a Victorian team travel in round again.

Onto to North at our home patch we will be 100 times better. I recall a horrible saints loss last year parachuted a 7 game winning streak that set up our season last year.
Optus wasn’t able to host games this weekend. Nothing to do with AFL

North Melbourne will beat us next week if our midfield puts up another pathetic display like that and nothing changes in the forward line.

I was painting my new home earlier....it was far more exciting than that. I should have carried on....

Absolutely awful, less than 60 points with a forward line that looks non-existent. Mids struggled to have any impact too, very fumbly. Oh dear, I was nervous about the bravado some fans were showing before this round rolled around, and look what's happened. You just never can wave that magic wand over cracks like this, there's too many. The thread": "where are our goals gonna come from in season 2023. Yeah, where? It now becomes a critical question lol!

Feels like we are dreaming if we think this is the way we're going to progress, me thinks I'll be giving J-Lo's presser a wide berth. He was right to feel anxiety before the bounce down, it clearly worked its way through the team. Hugely disappointing, one game I know but if that's indication - those who predicted our slide are probably right. Shitenzhouse

Hughes played much better than Henry. At least he showed a bit of heart and didn't turn the ball over. Henry can just flock off.
Whilst I agree that Hughes had his usual tough as nails passages and some good moments, if you can’t see the improvement in Henry’s game you are just a hater and Thats on you!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before the game interview with Ross was talking about how we like to transition slowly and controlled. Was very easy for him to cut that off today, as I imagine it would be for most other coaches. No speed or excitement at all in the way we played, and that forward line was just the icing on the cake.

I am not going to panic

Saints at Docklands has always been a tough game. Even in the halcyon days of 2012-2015 when we were at our peak. We struggled.

Round 1 rustiness was to be expected even though it's not a excuse.

5 goals in 4 quarters we got 2 other gifts from 50m penalties.

And if you want to get technical 4 out of 7 goals we're from free kicks.

Be nice to have a home game in round 1 once in a while. Convenient the VFL don't let a Victorian team travel in round again.

Onto to North at our home patch we will be 100 times better. I recall a horrible saints loss last year parachuted a 7 game winning streak that set up our season last year.
You can thank Ed Sheeran for us missing out on a home game this weekend, not the AFL.

You can thank Ed Sheeran for us missing out on a home game this weekend, not the AFL.

We are home next week then have the home Derby in round 3. I reckon we would have been away regardless.

You could see it coming from about 20 mins into the first quarter. Exact replica of that dreary shitfight against Essendon back in 2021 which is burned into my mind. You just knew things would fall apart in the last quarter and we'd lose by a couple of kicks.

We'd need 200 entries to reliably hit a winning score. Forward structure still a major issue whenever a team doesn't let us have free reign with the ball.

It's a long season and we had a similar nightmare against the Saints in round 2 last season so I'm not torching anything just yet but we have to let go of a possession-based system. It's fine for periods throughout a quarter where we need to conserve energy or blunt momentum but it offers nothing when we actually you know...need to kick goals.

Kudos to Lyon and the Saints. Didn't pull any surprises but completely nullified whatever Longmuir was trying to accomplish.

JL has implemented a style of play that’s not gonna work.

The rage is obviously to get the ball moving forward at all costs, freo are waaaaay off that.

Can’t win a game when the defense rolls back and clogs the 50.

We should be attacking of HB with have the personal for it but instead we’re nursing it up the ground like WC from 2018.
Game might have gone pass us.

That’s a genuine concern

Pos
Serong was a bull at ballups
Young Cox and even Wilson repelling the D50 entries will keep us in games
Switta and Schulz

Neg
Bullied at clearances despite HO advantage, we looked outsized in there without Mundy. Jackson looked out matched as well.
Our general play forward of centre
Our marking skills are sub Auskick level. Catches win matches not just in cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1: Loss against the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back