Preview Round 1 v Hawks (team listed #982 p40)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d rather not rest Cox as you suggest.
There’s no point having a Cox if he just stoods still.
Better Cox is fresh, ready and energetic so early in the season.
Let him just get into it.
Last thing for mason is to be in and out
Of the side.
With Cox, being so big in this case, size does matter.
i see what you did there ;)

Reid and Cox both shouldn't play if wet. I'd like to see Buckley have the balls to sit one out if the weather is terrible.

But the mcg has to be seriously soaked to have a major effect on the game so unless it's bucketing down I'd keep them in.

Reid and Cox both shouldn't play if wet. I'd like to see Buckley have the balls to sit one out if the weather is terrible.

But the mcg has to be seriously soaked to have a major effect on the game so unless it's bucketing down I'd keep them in.

Nah. Just play Grundy as a spare across half back knocking players over and bringing the ball to ground and give Cox more ruck time of conditions are wet during the game.

Much prefer them to play in all conditions, cyclones perhaps excepted.

While I agree with most of this post, anything before 1925 lessens the impact because there was not a full 12 team comp.
Carringbush just how far do we take that?

How about Melbourne's run in the '50's - that was with only 12 teams.
Carlton's run in the '70's and '80's - only 12 teams.
Hawthorn's amazing run after they got gifted Waverly - only 12 teams.

Why not discount Geelong's massive run recently because they are the only team to have their own private home ground which is surely a huge advantage?

We all know that every expansion club has had monstrous resources poured into them by the AFL and rule changes to ensure they were successful. So how about we discount all of those efforts??

Just where do we draw the line???

I'm stuffed if I know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carringbush just how far do we take that?

How about Melbourne's run in the '50's - that was with only 12 teams.
Carlton's run in the '70's and '80's - only 12 teams.
Hawthorn's amazing run after they got gifted Waverly - only 12 teams.

Why not discount Geelong's massive run recently because they are the only team to have their own private home ground which is surely a huge advantage?

We all know that every expansion club has had monstrous resources poured into them by the AFL and rule changes to ensure they were successful. So how about we discount all of those efforts??

Just where do we draw the line???

I'm stuffed if I know.

No you've read me wrong, it wasn't until 1925 that there was a full 12 team comp - before then it was varying between 4 and 10 so anything up until 1925 didn't have as much "impact" as it did after.

Probably would've been a better sample from 1925 to 1939 - in which we completely dominated I agree.

No you've read me wrong, it wasn't until 1925 that there was a full 12 team comp - before then it was varying between 4 and 10 so anything up until 1925 didn't have as much "impact" as it did after.

Probably would've been a better sample from 1925 to 1939 - in which we completely dominated I agree.
It's hard to get context over the net but I get where you're coming from.

Too often younger supporters get into this 'cringe' mode about our club and it irritates the hell out of me. Those that do don't seem to understand that all this negative media stuff is carefully crafted to bring about internal dissent if at all possible.

The AFL despise us because of that period of total dominance - which is almost totally the work of one Jock McHale. Their lickspittle lap dogs in the form of the sporting media, do the dirty work the AFL can't afford to be seen doing and the Pies are kept under siege.

The point I was trying to get across to Spesh Ed and others is that the impact of Jock was competition wide.

Like many of the famous NFL coaches of yesteryear he could dissect a young guy and know exactly what made him tick, then slot him into the machine in exactly the right position to extract his best.

Too often younger supporters get into this 'cringe' mode about our club and it irritates the hell out of me. Those that do don't seem to understand that all this negative media stuff is carefully crafted to bring about internal dissent if at all possible.
The point I was trying to get across to Spesh Ed and others is that the impact of Jock was competition wide.

change-permanent-famous.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back