Unofficial Preview Round 1 Vs Giants - Saturday March 16

Remove this Banner Ad

They are a very talented outfit in the premiership window. Looked sharp in round 0. We will need to compete well with them regardless and use this as an opportunity to see where we need to be against the top 4.

So when did they change the rules to make the bottom teams get the harder draws and the top teams get the eas.......ah * it

The AFL is a joke
Don’t we have the easiest draw Fixture in the comp? Gotta play them at some stage and to be perfectly honest, i’d rather play the top tier teams first up rather than around or post bye when they are in full swing. They all started pre season almost a month after we did.

🤣 We try to tell ourselves these things, but it’s not true. If we come out unscathed and lose by 70 points, I’ll be livid. I’ll accept a 27-30 points loss, nothing more.

It only takes Greene, Brown or Hogan to either break free and kick a bag or for them all to go silly and get a bag.

Baggage Claim Lines GIF by Storyful

Whether or not “Northball” is more likely to win this week, I expect our coaches would rather keep playing the style they want the team to play for the longer-term benefits. I clearly recall the Hawks throwing away games early under Clarko because they prioritised learning a new system. Also we are not experienced or good enough right now to be tailoring game styles every week.

Just going to enjoy the roller coaster and have faith we have players good enough and coaches smart enough to achieve highs along the way, and ultimately higher highs and more highs than lows.

Whether or not “Northball” is more likely to win this week, I expect our coaches would rather keep playing the style they want the team to play for the longer-term benefits. I clearly recall the Hawks throwing away games early under Clarko because they prioritised learning a new system. Also we are not experienced or good enough right now to be tailoring game styles every week.

Just going to enjoy the roller coaster and have faith we have players good enough and coaches smart enough to achieve highs along the way, and ultimately higher highs and more highs than lows.
I think this is spot on. Have to have long term faith in the game plan.

pies were way off their best - especially with their defensive system.
Needs to be pressure all over the field and to win contested ball
It's not their fault, it would have been demoralising seeing the end of their era at the hands of North in that practice match...

Thank god this thread has taken a turn from loser mentality to optimistic.

We CAN play great footy. We DO have the talent. We are going to give them a bloody run for their money.

How many debuts we thinking this week
Kerch, pink and duursma with fish , Stephens of the traded players
I think Pink but depends on Corr who I reckon they'd bring in if "fit".
Kerch I thought was close to a lock based on how they've played him over the pre season but if we were squeezing half back spots he's who I'd skip first up.

Stephens & Fisher are definite IMO. Duursma I reckon went from outside chance to close last week.

Kerch I thought was close to a lock based on how they've played him over the pre season but if we were squeezing half back spots he's who I'd skip first up.

Stephens & Fisher are definite IMO. Duursma I reckon went from outside chance to close last week.
McKercher's been a lock since his name was called on draft night. Maybe earlier.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having watched them live versus the Pies, I think we'll have goals kicked against us in the second half of quarters. In the main they are a big, strong, fit team, with excellent skills to boot.
Away from Melbourne, I would be 'happy' with a 5 goal 'honourable' defeat.

McKercher will play 100%

Lol, we’ve been ****ing with everyone during the preseason. They’re going to go tall in the forward half, because we don’t have any defenders, only to unleash Comben and Corr.
Watch northball succeed when they’re playing too many talls.

Last edited:
call it again north by 28 in the heist of the round , will be like what the mayor of Hiroshima said.........
I'm calling it the other way: North to lose by 82 :rolleyes:

Giants have so much talent. Arguably the second or third best team in the league at the present time. I agree with you, what do we have that's proven itself or compares over the last eight years? Not a great way to kick off your season.

Our first 5 weeks are brutal, however there surely has to be one positive? You would much rather play the top 4 from last year earlier rather then later when they are peaking.

We are 1-2 months ahead in Pre season and have most of our list available. 9/10 times we wouldn’t beat them anyway, let’s be realistic. Playing them early gives us a better shot in my opinion.

Also allows us to try our new game plan vs legitimately good sides. Like everyone, I am sick of losing, however look for small signs in the early parts of the year and go from there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Round 1 Vs Giants - Saturday March 16

Remove this Banner Ad

Back