Review Round 10, 2019 - Fremantle vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Freo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

How many times did Charlie actually leap rather than go for the crumb today - once? He also kicked a goal directly from crumbing.

Rayner is a medium forward who can leap - problem is that he is out of form and dropping them when they hit him in the hands. Again he left unrealistically once from memory. I’m fine with dropping him but this idea that our smalls lept too much this game doesnt make much sense to me.
I wasn't singling out this game, rather the collective season.

I think with Hodge's likely retirement at season's end, it leaves the door open for Lester to assume his role in the back six.

I know many are critical of Lester, but he is true stalwart with a lot of strong attributes that make him ripe for that elder statesmen / cool head role next season.

Rayner just didn’t run to get to that contest. Another player with a very very small tank.
He’s a 2nd year player. It takes time to build the base fitness required whether the player is #1 or #76 in the draft.
I agree that Rayner hasn’t been great this past month, but hopefully this down period is teaching him what it really takes to be a league footballer. At this level, you can no longer get by on natural talent alone. I expect him start really turning into the player we all expect him to be next season.

Rayner won’t be dropped but you would think that there would be some very serious conversations at the end of year with himself and another in Witherden in regards to fitness levels.

On the positive I think that McStay has been doing pretty well the last couple of weeks.

I know that there are some Who are going to be upset at yesterday’s game however we lost the game in the last 5-10mins. We didn’t get thumped and I’ve said before that I think that one of the reasons was their game style.

I am more worried about the Hawks game in all honesty. I think the medical and fitness/conditioning team will be working overs this week to get them back up for Saturday nights game.

Some of Hipwood's misses have been utterly embarrassing in recent weeks. Today's couple were similar to the one when the two Crows players crashed into one another when it should have been an absolute soda and yet he misses like today.

On second thought, I actually wouldn't be adverse to dropping someone like Hipwood to make a statement to the playing group.

Unfortunately Fagan doesn't have the balls to make a statement to the playing group and drop one of his untouchables. Looking at those that have been omitted this year (5 players in total across 10 games), include: Christensen, Robertson, Walker, Taylor and Cutler (pretty much all easy scapegoats), yet so many others that haven't performed all year are constantly selected.

If dropping a guy as punishment for having the yips “to send a message” is the best plan we can come up with then god help us.

Some of Hipwood's misses have been utterly embarrassing in recent weeks. Today's couple were similar to the one when the two Crows players crashed into one another when it should have been an absolute soda and yet he misses like today.

On second thought, I actually wouldn't be adverse to dropping someone like Hipwood to make a statement to the playing group.

Unfortunately Fagan doesn't have the balls to make a statement to the playing group and drop one of his untouchables. Looking at those that have been omitted this year (5 players in total across 10 games), include: Christensen, Robertson, Walker, Taylor and Cutler (pretty much all easy scapegoats), yet so many others that haven't performed all year are constantly selected.
Why do we need to make a statement? We’re having our best season for a decade and finally have some stability in the 22. Give me a spell.

Has anyone we’ve brought in since round 1 actually made much of a difference to the team?

The guys that have come in from the reserves really haven’t been having much impact and usually end up getting dropped after a couple of matches which shows the lack of depth and probably the reason why we’ve stuck with out of form players.

We did a lot right . Some of our better players were a bit down. We lack outside run . That's been self evident . How many times did we rebound and get it forward like they did ? Hardly at all post first 15 minutes . Whether we've got the cattle to do it presently is the question .

That's their entire game style though? Im not going to mark us using a comparison of how well we played their game style. Yes, they executed their defend / clog the 50 and slingshot style well on a handful of occasions - but they also couldn't score for huge patches of the game. We covered their rebound brilliantly on several occasions when I thought we were exposed. We played our game well, we used the corridor, we used tempo well, we got entries it was just always really conjested.

Lions lost by 1 point. If they won by 1 point people here would have the emotion of ecstasy instead of agony. Fremantle played better in the last 10-15 minutes with the crowd on their side helping them. They gave effort (for the most part), execution is lacking sometimes but that's what happens in a pressurized environment. Let's get on to next week. And for people on here saying that they don't try or practice hard enough, grow up and think. It's so much easier to hide on the sidelines. And if you have any profound advice, go directly to the club and show them how it should be done. Then you could be on six figures helping on training and game strategy. Bonus.

Lions lost by 1 point. If they won by 1 point people here would have the emotion of ecstasy instead of agony. Fremantle played better in the last 10-15 minutes with the crowd on their side helping them. They gave effort (for the most part), execution is lacking sometimes but that's what happens in a pressurized environment. Let's get on to next week. And for people on here saying that they don't try or practice hard enough, grow up and think. It's so much easier to hide on the sidelines. And if you have any profound advice, go directly to the club and show them how it should be done. Then you could be on six figures helping on training and game strategy. Bonus.
Agree with the home ground sentiment. We play that game at the Gabba we win.

Giving Rayner another opportunity for what?

Hipwood again does next to nothing.

Hinge, Answerth not up to that level of footy...you could go on, but we didn't select a team that would win today.
Oh give me a break negative nellie. We lose by one point and the call out is it was lost at the selection table. Again more glass half empty shit from so called supporters. I'm shattered with the loss but the boys played their heart out, didn't give up, poor execution but we were soooo close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

**** me if only hinge kicked the ball instead of hesitating. He was out of his league tonight. Lewis Taylor as well.
And how does Hinge get the the experience to know next time to react quicker. You don't think he will be a better player moving forward after this game? Try looking at the bigger picture.

Was at the game and we were shocking the last 10 minutes totally trapped in our defensive 50. I water Rayner so closely as I have been very critical of him and he is actually shot of all confidence . I reckon 3 or 4 times he didn’t put himself in the right position for a mark kept going under the ball kr totally misreading the flight he needs a spell in the magoos

Now that I've had some time to calm down...

We cannot continue to have games come down to the wire, wins or losses. They are bad for the team mentally and physically. As I said to my friend*, we really need to start putting teams away when we have the chance. Taking our chances in front of goal (because for all our faults, we are getting plenty of opportunities to kick goals, which is a good thing) early on in the game means less anxiety and pressure at the end of the game, and it also builds confidence within the team (reward for effort).

I don't know what the solution to our goalkicking is, but I can tell you now that once we get that sorted we're on easy street.

*hopefully-soon-to-be-boyfriend

Update: still sad.
Cheer up buddy . It's only a game of footy.

We were competitive and had chances but didn't take them. When Dizzy got pinged on the siren in the first quarter the pessimist in me had a thought that that could be the game . We only needed one more.

Let's look forward to this week

Big O is number one ruckman who goes forward occasionally. He’s not a forward Phil. His tap ruck work is brilliant.
Stef also provides very little up forward and I think we need to make a hard decision on the one/two ruckman debate. As I said Oscar (or Stef) up forward means in reality we are one short.

One thing that really annoys me about The Big O is that he allows the other ruckman to get in front. Stef gets way more clearances than Oscar because he fights, really fights, for the front position. Stef gets more free kicks for the same reason.

Even if Oscar gets a caught under the ball he is big enough to still complete.

Have you noticed the large number of short throw ins we have had this year? Being a trainer of cricket umpires I look for these sorts of technique issues with the umpires. I sometimes put a ruler on the bounce and see if the ball stays within the width of the ruler. Oscar in front on a short throw-in. I like to see that. Oscar has upside. Stef has runs on the board.

These games are toughening us up. It is laying the foundation for long term success.
I see some are being critical of hinge. The thing I really liked about his game is he kept putting himself in good positions and didn't hide when acid was on at end. The pace of game and execution improvement will come with more experience. I remember Hugh and bez doing similar things year 1 and 2 but because we were getting pantsed nobody cared.

These games are toughening us up. It is laying the foundation for long term success.
I see some are being critical of hinge. The thing I really liked about his game is he kept putting himself in good positions and didn't hide when acid was on at end. The pace of game and execution improvement will come with more experience. I remember Hugh and bez doing similar things year 1 and 2 but because we were getting pantsed nobody cared.
I thought Hinge was ok considering. I'm still mystified why we had Taylor when we could've had Cutler running down the wing . So that's my main beef with selection

Hinge has been solid and done enough to keep his spot imo. His rundown tackle saved a goal and I actually thought it was Mitch Robbo with the way he got him. Kicked a nice goal as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 10, 2019 - Fremantle vs. Brisbane Lions

Back