Review Round 11, 2024 - Hawthorn vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite our horrid football at stages this year, we’d be right in this season if we could kick straight. It’s not our year, so be it. Long preseason starting in June, easier draw, 7 players back, a couple of good kids coming through, refresh a couple of stale guys to get the hunger and vibe back and the only thing stopping us going undefeated in 25 is this bloody Hawthorn curse

Well, that was sh*t. May as well bring Sharp and Brain back in so they get more experience going forward.

Agree. Also playing Sharp as the sub has never worked. Fagan & co thought maybe this time LOL.

So much of that game was just the same old issues raring their head again (just with few missing players making it worse). Just so many lazy players who seem to not be willing to fight it out. So many times an away game where they just don't want to run and put such lazy efforts into tackling.

Watching from up in the stands you see a lot of senior mids and forwards who give up and walk way too often. Guys who have been around a long time but seem to have no desperation (probably know they will never be dropped no matter what)

Loved what we saw from Kai, good signs from Morris, Lachie and Andrews carry the team so hard we would lose by 50 without them.

But don't worry im sure we will just tinker at the edges and drop Sharp or something instead of having serious conversations about guys like Rayner

Agree. Also playing Sharp as the sub has never worked. Fagan & co thought maybe this time LOL.
I was about to say that it worked in the injury cursed game. Then I remembered he was the late in and Morris was the sub. Showed given a full game to just run Sharp looked way better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the fact Lohmann is now a much more valuable contributor than Rayner probably says everything. Lohmann knows his involvement is non-negotiable to hold his spot so he gets to contests, makes tackles, finds space. Ah Chee offers more than Rayner, Morris is super young and offers more in the few weeks he has been in. Rayner seems disinterested and lacks awareness of the situation far too often. Tunstill, Dev, Lyons, Brain, Sharp, any of them would have had more impact today. Rayner was our worst player by some margin.

Our game plan hasn't evolved and we have no idea how to chase down a score in the last quarter.

No matter how desperate the game became, we showed hardly any desperation to go fast or change the way we play.

I thought we adjusted well in the third quarter to make sure we stayed on the defensive side to help stop the Hawthorn run but it just fell apart in the final quarter anyway. We had some desperation during that time.

I think it’s probably because Neale stopped playing like he had his own football and the rest of the team couldn’t bring their own contribution.

Really frustrating considering the exact same thing happened last year and we let them get a six goal lead before actually doing something about it.

Season over. Play the promising kids. Position ourselves to get Levi et.al. as cheaply as possible.

Start 2024 with Coleman and two Ashcrofts.

The window doesn't close yet, but to seize it we simply must have deep and meaningfuls with our 27+ brigade to find out who really has the desire to go deeper to the well and then climb the mountain again. If not, they can top up their super elsewhere.
yep our two most dangerous forwards are a 19 and 21 year old who both are only playing because of injuries to senior players. Fages it too loyal to some of the senior players

Cam was playing in the mid field that first Q and I don't think he touched the ball. FFS just play him as the third tall

We lost this at the selection table imo. Ryan is painfully slow and was always going to be a massive liability on a fast deck, particularly against Hawthorn who are so quick to rebound from defence. It was so predictable that this would happen, when you have one player who provides nothing defensively the entire team structure falls apart. Add in the usual lack of run and pressure from Rayner and it’s game over. And of course the typical set shot fiasco from senior players is the icing on top. Pathetic performance from the whole organisation.

I was about to say that it worked in the injury cursed game. Then I remembered he was the late in and Morris was the sub. Showed given a full game to just run Sharp looked way better
The one effective sub we had so far has been Brain. Came on last week and got 8 disposals in a quarter. Here's your reward, dropped to 2s. Thank you very much.

Despite our horrid football at stages this year, we’d be right in this season if we could kick straight. It’s not our year, so be it. Long preseason starting in June, easier draw, 7 players back, a couple of good kids coming through, refresh a couple of stale guys to get the hunger and vibe back and the only thing stopping us going undefeated in 25 is this bloody Hawthorn curse
Unfortunately, I think it's very optimistic to think we'll be any better next year.

But unless we weaken the starting 22 it won't be any different
Haha, looks premiership worthy atm. Can't weaken anything

No No No GIF

Season over. Play the promising kids. Position ourselves to get Levi et.al. as cheaply as possible.

Start 2024 with Coleman and two Ashcrofts.

The window doesn't close yet, but to seize it we simply must have deep and meaningfuls with our 27+ brigade to find out who really has the desire to go deeper to the well and then climb the mountain again. If not, they can top up their super elsewhere.

Can we have a deep and meaningful with the coach too?

Just another mismanagement from fagan
We looked so much more alive when we had our run back so why drop one of the players that gave us the spark
Might start calling him sparkie
Anyway what a waste of an afternoon
Besides the game what a great day
That’s learnings
Something to think about

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 11, 2024 - Hawthorn vs. Brisbane Lions

Back