Preview Round 12 Fremantle v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No McPharlin, No Broughton.

Their top 4 backline is missing in action.

We win or we choke. Simple as that. Freo can't win with their injuries.

Freo got back Grover who is a pretty good replacement for McPharlin, they still have Tarrant as well so they aren't too badly off for defenders. They have pretty good depth now.

I think our injuries, with Riewoldt and Gram out, will affect us more than McPharlin and Broughton being out.

Freo are still definitely favourites, reflected by the betting odds. I think we still have a reasonable chance of winning but we will have to play better than we have the past few weeks and take our chances in front of goal.

The bub is due on June 12, but this game looks like it will be so good, I'll be telling the wife to cross her legs and hold it in until Monday!

Mental note: don't let the missus watch the game... it might get her so excited, it could set off labour...

FREMANTLE v ST KILDA
Fremantle
B: Byron Schammer, Chris Tarrant, Kepler Bradley
HB: Antoni Grover, Adam McPhee, Roger Hayden
C: Garrick Ibbotson, David Mundy, Anthony Morabito
HF: Jay van Berlo, Matthew Pavlich, Stephen Hill
F: Ryan Crowley, Alex Silvagni, Hayden Ballantyne
Foll: Aaron Sandilands, Michael Barlow, Paul Duffield
I/C (from): Nick Suban, Nathan Fyfe, Clancee Pearce, Rhys Palmer, Zac Clarke, Tim Ruffles, Matthew de Boer

In: Schammer, Ruffles, Silvagni, Pearce, Clarke
Out: Steven Dodd, Chris Mayne (ankle)

St Kilda
B: Steven Baker, Jason Blake, Sam Gilbert
HB: Raphael Clarke, Sam Fisher, James Gwilt
C: Brendon Goddard, Nick Dal Santo, Farren Ray
HF: Clinton Jones, Justin Koschitzke, Adam Schneider
F: Brett Peake, Ben McEvoy, Stephen Milne
Foll: Michael Gardiner, Lenny Hayes, Leigh Montagna
I/C (from): Robert Eddy, Jarryn Geary, Andrew McQualter, Alistair Smith, Adam Pattison, Nick Heyne, Rhys Stanley

In: Pattison, Heyne, Smith
Out: -

New: Alistair Smith (Perth)

Zac obviously hasn't come up. Good to see Smith named on the extended bench, IIRC he's a WA boy so would have played on Subi before? Wouldn't be a bad place for him to make his debut. Haha, yep the '(Perth)' should have given me some sort of hint to where he was from...

Can't see Patto or Heyne getting a game (sadly for the latter). So I reckon no change is a likely for once this year.

So no Dawson, is he still injured or just not selected?

Great to see Alistair Smith named on the extended interchange bench, would be nice to see him make his debut at home. The only player I could see him coming in for though is Eddy.

Can't see any other changes being made, would be very disappointed if Stanley didn't make the final cut.

Should be a bench of Geary, McQualter, Stanley and one of Eddy/Smith/Heyne.

Hmmm.

You'd have to think either no change or Heyne/Smith comes in for Eddy (Heyne>Eddy>Smith in my mind right ATM, only because Smith hasn't played a game yet)

Interesting to see McPhee named at CHB and Silvagni named at FF. I know teams aren't a real indicator, but if they DO line up like that, I wonder...

Hopefully, if that does happen, we can exploit McPhee at CHB somehow (maybe with Goddard for a quarter or two), but again, just team sheets.

Looking forward to this, should be a cracker. Saints by 15, same as last time.

A guy named at CHF is due for a BIG game......

I assume you're talking about Kosi and not Pavlich.

I doubt Kosi would start at CHF anyway. If Stanley is selected then he would probably line up there with Kosi at full forward.

Either way we could do with a big game out of him, conditions should be perfect for big marking forwards.

Possible match ups / probable teams

FB: Jay van Berlo, Chris Tarrant, Antoni Grover
FF: Stephen Milne, Justin Koschitzke, Brett Peake

HB: Paul Duffield, Adam McPhee, Roger Hayden
HF: Leigh Montagna, Rhys Stanley, Adam Schneider

C: Garrick Ibbotson, David Mundy, Anthony Morabito
C: Farren Ray, Nick Dal Santo, Brendon Goddard
Foll: Aaron Sandilands, Ryan Crowley, Michael Barlow
Foll: Michael Gardiner, Lenny Hayes, Clinton Jones

HF: Rhys Palmer, Matthew Pavlich, Stephen Hill
HB: Raphael Clarke, Sam Fisher, James Gwilt

FF: Nathan Fyfe, Kepler Bradley, Hayden Ballantyne
FB: Sam Gilbert, Jason Blake, Steven Baker

I/C: Nick Suban, Zac Clarke, Byron Schammer, Alex Silvagni
I/C: Robert Eddy, Jarryn Geary, Andrew McQualter, Ben McEvoy

Emerg: Clancee Pearce, Tim Ruffles, Paul Hasleby
Emerg: Alistair Smith, Adam Pattison, Nick Heyne,

In: Schammer, Silvagni, Clarke
Out: Steven Dodd, Chris Mayne (ankle), de Boer

No change

Comment: we are missing the extra tall down back and one or two genuine midfielders, but we have a fairly decent team. Crowley will go to Lenny and Jones will go to Barlow. Duffield will likely set himself up as the free man in defence and they will channel their rebounds through him. It would be nice to set up a decent forward tag on him. McQualter or Eddy might be up for the job. Tarrant is a great defender and he will suck the life out of whoever he is matched up on. Lyon may try and get Kosi free of him by rotating McEvoy and Gardiner through that spot. (Freo rarely seem to play a second ruckman so whoever is not rucking can go up forward and distract Tarrant* *Zac Clarke's inclusion probably negates that). Milne will be heavily tagged and I expect Goddard will be too, so these players will be the subject of great tactical battles between the two coaching panels.

Teams last time we met:
St Kilda
B: James Gwilt, Zac Dawson, Sam Gilbert
HB: Steven Baker, Sam Fisher, Brendon Goddard
C: Leigh Montagna, Clinton Jones, Nick Dal Santo
HF: Andrew McQualter, Jason Blake, Adam Schneider
F: Jarryn Geary, Michael Gardiner, Stephen Milne
Foll: Steven King, Jason Gram, Lenny Hayes
I/C: David Armitage, Raphael Clarke, Brett Peake, Farren Ray
Emg: Robert Eddy, Rhys Stanley, Jack Steven

Out: Zac Dawson, Steven King, Jason Gram, David Armitage
In: Justin Koschitzke, Ben McEvoy, Rhys Stanley, Robert Eddy.

Fremantle
B: Jay van Berlo, Chris Tarrant, Ryan Crowley
HB: Greg Broughton, Luke McPharlin, Roger Hayden
C: Anthony Morabito, David Mundy, Paul Hasleby
HF: Michael Johnson, Matthew Pavlich, Stephen Hill
F: Des Headland, Chris Mayne, Hayden Ballantyne
Foll: Aaron Sandilands, Michael Barlow, Paul Duffield
I/C: Matthew de Boer, Adam McPhee, Alex Silvagni, Zac Clarke
Emg: Dylan Roberton, Steven Dodd, Rhys Palmer

Out: Greg Broughton, Luke McPharlin, Paul Hasleby, Michael Johnson, Des Headland, Clancee Pearce, Chris Mayne and Matthew de Boer
In: Byron Schammer, Kepler Bradley, Nathan Fyfe, Rhys Palmer, Garrick Ibbotson, Nick Suban, Zac Clarke and Antoni Grover

Whilst Freo's outs look to be rather damaging to their chances, their ins are quite significant too, and arguments can be made for why these are possibly better than their outs

The Saints regain their forward line (with the significant exception of Riewoldt) but lose Gram, Dawson and Armitage (King and McEvoy are equivalent).

well i had a dream last night that the score was 101-115, saints way.
as that doesnt seem unlikely im going to go with that and hopefully it will turn into some weird prediction...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well i had a dream last night that the score was 101-115, saints way.
as that doesnt seem unlikely im going to go with that and hopefully it will turn into some weird prediction...

That's a nice dream dude.....I hope it comes true....

I always dream that we are getting done.....I recently had a dream we were playing the Crows at the Etihad. The Crows were piling on the goals and their supporters were going bananas...There was a play that involved a St Kilda goal...Nicky Winmar speared a beautiful pass to the G Train. He had a mullet...Those two never played together so it didn't make any sense........ :eek:

I like this team and Lyon's thinking from what I perceive. He seems to be confident that we can knock over Freo , as such he is continuing to blood young players and continue on experimenting. I expect Heyne to be in and hopefully Smith. I love the look of Kosi and McEvoy starting up front. The Knife, Heyne , Smith, Geary/ McQualter on the bench. Although according to the Sandy boys Patterson is doing well, he may sneak in, which won't disappoint me as it gives us a look at another player. Again I feel a team selected upon confidence that we have Freo's measure, this is also confirmed by Rossey stirring up Harvey a bit during the week. I can't remember him doing this before.

Just looking at the squad, I was thinking maybe Ross will go in with someone smaller, rather than Stanley. It would probably be Al Smith.

This would be a mistake.

Both Riewoldt and Koschitzke 1-0
Just Riewoldt 1-0
Neither Riewoldt or Koschitzke (counting the Collingwood game) 2-0
Just Koschitzke 1-3
Koschitzke and Stanley 3-0

We can win with just Roo, but not with just Kosi. He needs help.

Given reasonable conditions (weather prediction is sunny) and Kazak's pace, I can't see any way in the world that he'd be left out. Ross has made mention of his value in the structure (in helping to straighten us up). I'd be real disappointed if he wasn't given the opportunity of working in the extra space at Subi, and think that he's a real danger man given his ability to kick goals from 50m.

On a big ground like Subi you definitely need the two tall forwards. We can't just afford to rely on Kosi with the form he is in.

Kosi and Stanley as the two key forwards with McEvoy and Gardiner rotating forward has worked quite well the last few weeks so I don't know why Ross would want to change that set up. If it was wet maybe you would play an extra small player but it should be fine conditions.

I've also heard that Hasleby may be a late change for Freo coming in for De Boer. Hopefully for our sake that doesn't happen as Hasleby is a much more damaging player.

On a big ground like Subi you definitely need the two tall forwards. We can't just afford to rely on Kosi with the form he is in.

Kosi and Stanley as the two key forwards with McEvoy and Gardiner rotating forward has worked quite well the last few weeks so I don't know why Ross would want to change that set up. If it was wet maybe you would play an extra small player but it should be fine conditions.

I've also heard that Hasleby may be a late change for Freo coming in for De Boer. Hopefully for our sake that doesn't happen as Hasleby is a much more damaging player.

Expensive move for the Dockers given Hasleby isn't in the squad of 25 and Harvey was complaining about costs of chartering planes.

Expensive move for the Dockers given Hasleby isn't in the squad of 25 and Harvey was complaining about costs of chartering planes.

Yeah it seems a bit strange that they would leave Hasleby out of the initial 25 but I heard on the radio this morning that he has been doing some private training sessions and may still be a late inclusion.

Maybe Freo are trying to catch us off guard with our match ups by springing a late change. Hasleby can be quite dangerous pushing forward as he is strong overhead for his size and a pretty accurate kick. Could be a difficult match up for us if he comes in.

I'd much rather see De Boer playing up forward who couldn't hit the side of a barn door with his kicking.

Looks like my mail is correct.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/7384035/hasleby-a-late-addition-to-dockers-squad/

Midfielder Paul Hasleby has surprisingly been added to Fremantle's provisional squad for Sunday's clash with St Kilda despite being overlooked when official team lists were lodged last night.
Hasleby, who has a back complaint, comes into the Dockers' 25-man squad as a replacement for Matt de Boer, who injured himself at training this morning.
However, Hasleby is believed to have got through the session without any soreness. But he will still have to survive a cull of three players from the Dockers' list later today.
Fremantle needed the approval of the AFL to make the change.

Convenient that De Boer injured himself this morning so that Hasleby could come in.

You can guarantee he will be in their team now.

What's the best that when Riewoldt comes back Kosi will be dropped for him instead of Stanley?

What's the best that when Riewoldt comes back Kosi will be dropped for him instead of Stanley?

Nope. Not on what we've seen this far.

Kosi kicked 2 last week and Stanley kicked 1.

Kosi at least is able to go into the ruck for a few minutes, whereas this role wouldn't suit Stanley thus far.

In: Schammer, Silvagni, Clarke
Out: Steven Dodd, Chris Mayne (ankle), Matthew de Boer (general soreness)*

* Hasleby replaced de Boer in Fremantle's squad on Friday morning.

Haselby has been named as an emergency, so don't worry about that.

No change for the Saints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back