Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Mar 9, 2006
At the disco!
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool
I know that it is still more than a week away but i am really looking forward to playing the tigers. It will be a good chance for us to win our 3rd match in a row. However the tigers have been playing some better football of late and should get Nathan Brown back for this one. Still tipping us by about 30 points.

Some Key Match-ups
Brown v Whelan/Bell - Although underdone Nathan Brown will still be a danger man. He will have had 3 matches in the VFL by this stage and will be ready to go. Do we go with Wrecker who has the good record on him or with Daniel Bell who has been an absolute star this season? Bell for mine.

Richardson v Caroll - Really big match-up for Chopper. Richo is one of the best key-forwards in the game so Caroll will have to be close to his best to hold the big fellow. If Richo gets on top I am not sure we have many other options. Maybe Holland.

Robertson v Bowden - Robbo returned to form in a big way with 7 goals on Queen's Birthday however it was against some inexperienced opponents. Bowden is a seasoned performed though and will prove more of a challenge for Robbo. 3-4 goals would be a great return for Robbo in this one.

Neitz v Thursfield/Polak - Lets hope that Neitz's knee is fine for this match as he looms as the danger man. With the tigers insistance to play Polak as a loose man Thursfield will be given first crack. Neitz should be too big and stong for Will and I can sense the skipper kicking a big bag here.

Sylvia v Raines - Sylvia has been very promising of late. With the week off to rest any lingering effect from the OP he will primed come next week. Raines too has been in reasonable form the last few weeks and will be looking to provide drive from half-back. I am tipping a big game from Sylvia

McLean v Johnson - Kane Johnson usually gets the oppositions best midfielder and I would expect him to go to McLean. McLean is close to 100% now and will be looking to put in another dominant performance to further establish himself as one of the best midfielders in the game.

Foley v Godfrey/McDonald/Jones - Foley has been the tigers best midfielder so far this season. I would imagine the Daniher will again look to shut him down with his best stopper in Godfrey. If not McDonald or Jones may go head to head with the tigers clearance king.

White/Johnson v Pattison - The ruck is one area where we really should have an advantage. Despite Pattison showing signs of improvement he is not yet in the category of Jeff White. White should look to dominate this game especially around the ground. He will be given good support by Paul Johnson who looks to have established himself as our number 2 ruckman in the last few weeks.

Other keys to the game will be Deledio and Tambling for the Tigers who have been red hot lately.

i think this is a very dangerous game for us. 30 points is looking optimistic in my opinion. we are yet to post a biggish total so wel proli need 100+ score to win by 30ish should be a cracker though.

could davy possibly line up on delidio???

polak could give us headaches if he went forward

• Banned
Holland has to play.

They will be too tall up forward otherwise, Holland to Richo, Carroll to Polak/Kingsley, Bizzell/Rivers covering the third tall forward.

I reckon Carroll should be given first crack. Holland is just good for the guerillas like Rocca and Gerigh. Not sure that Kingsley will get another game after his inept performance last week and Polak has spent most this season down back or in the ruck. May have Hughes and Shultz down therre with Richo. Petiffer and Tambling and Brown as the smalls.

Richmond look due for a win and are playing the G well at times this year, were due for a loss and some massive injuries. This will be a crunch game.

Yze looks set to come in to round out a decent forward line with Neitz, Robbo, Bate, Sylvia and Davey. If the skipper doesn't pull up this looks a good game to give Newton a shot in but I wouldn't be suprised to see Miller back in.

The midifield looks very stable and competitive with only Moloney and Bartram out. If Trav isn't right Buckley could play but I'd expect a foward or backmen such as Davey or Brown to play on the wing. Godfrey should tag or be dropped, he isnt worth playing if he isn't tagging, despite his right foot goals. Foley looks the one to go to.

There are alot of decisions to be made with our backline in the next couple of weeks. We know Bell and Carroll will play. Personally I wouldn't play Ben Holland if Rivers is right, last time he played on Richo he did well but Richo was starting to tear him apart in the last quarter. Bizzel and Ward should keep their spots which leaves a toss up between Whelan, Brown and Frawley. Petterd might also be left out of this. I don't think he can play in the backline as well as others and as a forward looks behind Sylvia, Yze and Davey.

I think our strength is in the middle. With Mclean back and firing along with J Mac, jonesy and trav J i think we can dominate this part of the ground. I think we need a hard tag on Foley and then we can put the ball inside 50 more than them and we will win. I want to see yze, robbo, neitz,bruce and green start in our fwd50. I hate seeing green at half back getting cheap kicks. Hes a match winner we need him getting 4 goals a game.

overrated, greeies best position is getting cheap kicks across half back, he delivers with prescision, which ward, brown, bell ect dont always do

btw, if neitz dont come up.. newton or miller for full forward?? this weeks sandy game will tell us who will lay

a big game from Sylvia

McLean v Johnson - Kane Johnson usually gets the oppositions best midfielder and I would expect him to go to McLean. McLean is close to 100% now and will be looking to put in another dominant performance to further establish himself as one of the best midfielders in the game

I thought Johnson may have gone to Bruce, if not, who do you think will go to bruce then??

Richmonds defence is weaker than midstrength beer. I'm not usually arrogant but I'll be well and truly stunned if the likes of Robbo, Neita, Bate, Yze, Green, Bruce don't kick a massive bag for us. Bowden can't hold them all down

This game is a classic test for our team,we should win this game & win it well,but these are the games that in the past the players have rolled up with the wrong attitude & just thought its a matter of turning up to win,if the mental attitude is not right we are in grave danger of losing but if they turn up switched on i really think its a matter of how far!

this may sound like a DT question and yes it is.
who do you guys have coming back for this game, anyone likely to return from injury?
do you think petterd will keep his spot in the team...not his best game on monday, but you think he'll keep his place?
cheers:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this may sound like a DT question and yes it is.
who do you guys have coming back for this game, anyone likely to return from injury?
do you think petterd will keep his spot in the team...not his best game on monday, but you think he'll keep his place?
cheers:thumbsu:

Not quite sure but Byron Picketts ban is over & he will be available if selected,Whelan would be close maybe Moloney as well,in regards to Petterd i think he'll keep his spot young players form will flucuate,other players who could be considered as well would be Dunn & Miller!

Richmonds defence is weaker than midstrength beer. I'm not usually arrogant but I'll be well and truly stunned if the likes of Robbo, Neita, Bate, Yze, Green, Bruce don't kick a massive bag for us. Bowden can't hold them all down

Only team to kick away from us was geelong on a day no one in the team turned up ready to play. Our defense is all about rebounding with bowden standing the main target and polak dropping into the hole to take the mark. Not great on paper (alot of youngsters) but this setup and gameplan isnt getting us belted. Thursfield, Raines and Newman all have the ability to stop their player and kill them the other way.

Only team to kick away from us was geelong on a day no one in the team turned up ready to play. Our defense is all about rebounding with bowden standing the main target and polak dropping into the hole to take the mark. Not great on paper (alot of youngsters) but this setup and gameplan isnt getting us belted. Thursfield, Raines and Newman all have the ability to stop their player and kill them the other way.

I'll admit, Newman is a quality player as is Raines. I heavily underrated them in my previous post but I just can't see it happening for you blokes...I've never really been a fan of Polak but I guess that's just the bitter aftertaste of seeing him at Freo for so long playing like a disinterested twat

So is Kent gonna play??? Who will we put on Kent??? What will Kent do???

I doubt he will play, and if he does, you might as well let him run around by himself, he wont do anything exciting anyway :p

he is too old, and too out of form to be of use to us, a terrible pick up this year for the tigers

My views on the game:

Simmonds and Brown a probably 40/60 and 50/50 respectivly of playing this week, they both didn't play at Coburg today which either suggests they are resting for Friday or aren't fit enough. Kingsley also didn't play at Coburg today so he is also a decent chance of getting another game, as is Andrew Krakouer who had a very good game in the VFL last weekend and didn't play today.

It looks like Richmond good have up to 3 or 4 INS in the form of Brown, Simmonds, Krakouer and Tivendale (who kicked 4 goals in a half of footy, which also suggest they are resting him for the game). They likely outs could possibly be White, Edwards, Polo, Hyde, Howatt etc.

Melbournes biggest advantage in the game will be there two key fowards in Nietz and Robbertson. Robbo has toweled Bowden up the last few games and because we have no better oppotion I wouldn't be suprise if he goes to Nietz instead, Polak simple doesn't have the engine or pace yet while Thurstfield would really struggle 1-on-1.

Thursty should go to Robbo, JBowden to Nietz, Raines to Sylvia, King to Davey, Polak to Miller and leave Newman the looseman back.
Up foward, Holland will go to Richo, Carrol to Kingsley, Pettard to Huges, ect.
Deledio will get the best the tag as will Bruce for the Dees, Foley won't be heavily taged as he gets most of his touches around stoppages. Therefore Johnson will start on Bruce, and the faster Jackson will go to the faster Mclean. I also wouldn't be suprised if Tambling gets a pretty decent tag, as is showing more and more each game and has looked really good over the last 2 weeks.

My views on the game:

Simmonds and Brown a probably 40/60 and 50/50 respectivly of playing this week, they both didn't play at Coburg today which either suggests they are resting for Friday or aren't fit enough. Kingsley also didn't play at Coburg today so he is also a decent chance of getting another game, as is Andrew Krakouer who had a very good game in the VFL last weekend and didn't play today.

It looks like Richmond good have up to 3 or 4 INS in the form of Brown, Simmonds, Krakouer and Tivendale (who kicked 4 goals in a half of footy, which also suggest they are resting him for the game). They likely outs could possibly be White, Edwards, Polo, Hyde, Howatt etc.

Melbournes biggest advantage in the game will be there two key fowards in Nietz and Robbertson. Robbo has toweled Bowden up the last few games and because we have no better oppotion I wouldn't be suprise if he goes to Nietz instead, Polak simple doesn't have the engine or pace yet while Thurstfield would really struggle 1-on-1.

Thursty should go to Robbo, JBowden to Nietz, Raines to Sylvia, King to Davey, Polak to Miller and leave Newman the looseman back.
Up foward, Holland will go to Richo, Carrol to Kingsley, Pettard to Huges, ect.
Deledio will get the best the tag as will Bruce for the Dees, Foley won't be heavily taged as he gets most of his touches around stoppages. Therefore Johnson will start on Bruce, and the faster Jackson will go to the faster Mclean. I also wouldn't be suprised if Tambling gets a pretty decent tag, as is showing more and more each game and has looked really good over the last 2 weeks.

Good post. How do you see you guys putting a stop on Green?

Good post. How do you see you guys putting a stop on Green?

Depends if he starts foward or in the midfield. Probably start Polo or Tivendale on him (our 3rd and 4th stoppers respectivly) if he plays in the middle. If he floats foward Polo, if he plays, still could play on him, however, as you won't play Miller, Neitz, Robbo, Green, Davey, Sylvia in the same foward line at the same time probably a Raines or a Newman, or even a Thurstfield will take him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 12 - Melbourne Vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back