Preview Round 13, 2020: Brisbane v St.Kilda - Gabba, Sunday 23rd August, 3:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Lions

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 33 47.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
XEt2Dq1.png

We beat the Lions and we will be a real top 4 chance.

Paton - Howard - Wilkie
Long - Carlisle - Coffield
Billings - Ross - Hill
Butler - Marshall - Battle
Kent - Membery - King

Ryder - Steele - Jones

Bytel / Hunter Clark / Geary / Hind or Lonie or Sinclair

We've done way better than I thought we would have this year. Two dumb losses aside (particularly the Freo game, I don't get too wound up over round one wins or losses) we are punching above our weight. This game against Brisbane will be a great indicator as to where we sit. Two young, fast, and entertaining teams - albeit one team with a bit more "star power" - in the top 4, going at it.
If we win, or take them to the wire...then we can be anything this year come finals time. We have a 7 day break, and some rested top 22 players to come back in.
Not expecting to win, but think we CAN if we play cleverly, to our strengths, and confidently.
If we do win...then the ghost of Tom Joad will be dancing in the campfire light 😈

Carlise certain in. Paton probably out. Kent probably in. Lonie it hind out. I like hoe lonie plays but maybe last in first out They would be clear favourites at their home ground but we did win there yesterday and for a change the warm weather won’t matter at all. No point in trying to stop Neale so stopping a player like Lyons is vital.

The small forward role will be an interesting call. I think Hind and Kent have a bit more upside but only slightly.

I also think Lonie was our best small forward yesterday.

Might be one of those ones you just have to make the tough call, like we did Phillips.

Either way I don't think it will make a huge difference as all three are fairly even.

Out -
Paton

In -
Carlisle

That's all that is needed. I thought Lonie was pretty good at harassing the turnovers and he got in Guelfi's head. Let him have another week at least and see if he can do it against a better team.

Geary to McCarthy
Howard to Hipwood
Carlisle on McStay
Wilkie on Cameron

Steele tags Neale

Bytel heads up with Lyons.

For the Lions:

Andrews on King
Gardiner on Membrey
Answerth on Butler

Not sure what they do about Battle though...

Feels like this game is there for the taking. Win this and we are going to be in serious top 4 contention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lonie a better team player. 50/50. Lonie last in maybe first out or maybe it’s time to rest hind. They rotate the 4 smalls because we need 3 to be fit come the last couple of games.

We don't lose much either way... But I'd take a great game from Hind over a great from Lonie at this stage.

Think he's more suited to our style of play with speed and better use, more penetrating footballer

Carlisle for Paton is the obvious one, but I don’t know whether Kent could come in. Instead of Hind or Lonie, maybe Sinclair gets a rest? Seemed a bit off yesterday compared to the last few weeks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’m not sure they want 4 short people around goal though. Maybe Kent or hind could play further up the ground. We probably don’t even have an AA representative after this week in the rolling team as Steele and butler may be replaced, certainly butler, but what shows is how we are playing as a team. Very hard to stop if you play that way.

I'd be having a decent think about giving Max a rest this week. Not saying I definitely would, but I'd be thinking about it.....

1) he looks pretty gassed, the last month would have been brutal for a guy who has played half a dozen games in the 2 years previous
2) it's keeps some powder dry if we play the Lions again when it matters.

I'd be having a decent think about giving Max a rest this week. Not saying I definitely would, but I'd be thinking about it.....

1) he looks pretty gassed, the last month would have been brutal for a guy who has played half a dozen games in the 2 years previous
Don’t see how he looks gassed. Should’ve kicked 5 yesterday. Unless he pulls up really sore, I don’t see any need to rest him, particularly with a seven day break. We’re not in a position to keep our powder dry for finals. We need to get there first and this is a winnable game.

I reckon we are nearly past resting. Have normal breaks now for the next 2 then we have a bye. Obviously they have so much more information than us so if they are sorer than normal or we have a like for like replacement then go for it.

Don’t see how he looks gassed. Should’ve kicked 5 yesterday. Unless he pulls up really sore, I don’t see any need to rest him, particularly with a seven day break. We’re not in a position to keep our powder dry for finals. We need to get there first and this is a winnable game.

Yeah I thought King looked stuffed last week and possibly the week before but he came out strong this week. Seems like pumping games into him is the priority over pacing him out so I think he plays unless there's a credible injury risk. Only two more games before our bye (with 7 and 6 day breaks) anyway so I don't think there will be much managing.

Definitely a winnable game, an undermanned North nearly beat Brisbane, although that was at Metricon and not the Gabba where they're more difficult to beat.

They have a week's break between games so he should be right, he's a key part of our forward structure now so unless he's injured he should play every game.

This year, bearing in mind where we are coming from as a team, i believe winning or at least making a good fist of it by playing the best team that can get on the ground is way more important to our self belief and future than trying to be clever resting players with the view that a hypothetical finals appearance may be strengthened. Win now and keep winning as much as possible......strategy number one....IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back