Autopsy Round 13, 2024: St.Kilda v Gold Coast: #GrabGate2024

Remove this Banner Ad

People still on about the free.

Any mention of the free near goals against Hill foe being kneed in the head?

Mistakes are made all the time. King was probably deserving of 10 frees for holding during the game but got one. Umpires make mistakes usually they go against us, this time not.
We dominated the game but couldn't convert. We deserved the win.
Some say we are bad for only 51 points. How bad must the AFL Golden boy parasites be if they score 3 points less?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

The umpiring was shit and the only thing of interest in this one was timing. Put it in the middle of the first quarter and no-one would remember it.

It was soft and possibly not even a free but Andrews made it easy to get himself pinged. He turned his back and impeded. Defenders need to impede without looking obvious about it. Like fumbling a ball over the boundary, defence is the art of looking clumsily while making life hard for forwards ... like they just happened to stumble into the path of a guy trying to get into space.
Are you calling Doogs a genius?

It was soft and possibly not even a free but Andrews made it easy to get himself pinged. He turned his back and impeded. Defenders need to impede without looking obvious about it. Like fumbling a ball over the boundary, defence is the art of looking clumsily while making life hard for forwards ... like they just happened to stumble into the path of a guy trying to get into space.
I get your point but its a touch harsh on Andrews given he didnt initiate the contact.

People still on about the free.

Any mention of the free near goals against Hill foe being kneed in the head?

Mistakes are made all the time. King was probably deserving of 10 frees for holding during the game but got one. Umpires make mistakes usually they go against us, this time not.
We dominated the game but couldn't convert. We deserved the win.
Some say we are bad for only 51 points. How bad must the AFL Golden boy parasites be if they score 3 points less?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Funny thing is I thought he was totally staging and putting mayo on it because he'd been caught absolutely dead to rights holding the ball after jinking, and then on replay saw he'd copped a pretty bad one.

Funny thing is I thought he was totally staging and putting mayo on it because he'd been caught absolutely dead to rights holding the ball after jinking, and then on replay saw he'd copped a pretty bad one.
Yeah, didnt get back onto the field after that I dont think.

Then why didn't it go the other way if King was holding Andrew?

Maybe because he didn't hold Andrew?

Why did King get the free kick and not Andrew?
The biggest thing for me was that Andrew had his back to the ball almost the entire time. King was making an attempt to go past him. Can’t see how anyone couldn’t see that, and why the afl felt the need to apologise.

When last did they apologise for a call? Obviously trying to appease their golden child’s sooky coach.

But the vision of Andrew with his arms around holding King says otherwise..... the umpire was looking straight at them ..... the AFL even confirmed that Andrew had his arms around King ..... how can that not be a hold? How can it be wrong?

McBurney said ..... We totally understand why he's paid it because he has seen arms around

So it's ok put your arms around your opponent and impede him .... as long as its not tooooo much :tearsofjoy:
Just like it’s totally ok to push a forward two hands totally in the back now….just not too much 🙄

Last edited:
This thread should be renamed GrabGate
Who grabbed who?
Personally, I think the CIA was somehow behind the awarding of the free kick.
Something to do with the alignment of the 5G towers in relation to the goal posts, leading to a negative reality inversion.

Beats my brainstorm of "Grab a phantom critique @ 20.24".

Instead, set that trend.

This thread should be renamed GrabGate
Who grabbed who?
Personally, I think the CIA was somehow behind the awarding of the free kick.
Something to do with the alignment of the 5G towers in relation to the goal posts, leading to a negative reality inversion.

And no mention of the second grabber. Very suspicious.
Any mention of a grassy knol? 🤔

7urmHDo.gif

I can’t believe how much the free kick to King is still being discussed here. :rolleyesv1:

Oh, on the subject of our team’s alleged lack of improvement vs RTB losing his magic wand, consider this:

Real progress in anything meaningful is hard-won and non-linear. It’s a grind, requiring consistent struggle and failure. Your success in life is not built on daily micro-improvements but mostly on just showing up, day after endless day.

Because even a one-percent improvement in your deadlift, your singing voice, or your understanding of quantum mechanics is not likely overnight and is that continual gain-of-function is not sustainable over time.

You might even go backwards.

At least they have A PLAN, are turning up to training 16 hour a week and are working on something.

End of reality check.

Last edited:
Watching the first qtr again. We dominated.

Defended well, rebounded well and won clearances.

But **** me. We butchered our opportunities. 3 times we burnt blokes who could have had a set shot, fumbled and missed targets and Collins saved them 2 or 3 times as well.

Could’ve easily been 6 goals up at qtr time.

The gameplan is fine. That was purely skill errors and decision making going forward. I think when we don’t put scoreboard pressure we invite pressure the other way and in turn lose our confidence to keep attacking.

Tidy this up, get on a run and we’ll be fine.

Let’s also not forget that in patches against Pies, GWS and Richmond we kicked 4-5 goals in row quickly and got red hot. At the moment it’s just not clicking.

Again Daniel Hoyne explains that our profile is fine, in fact it compares a lot to Sydney. What is killing us, which we can all see is the fact that we just make it hard for ourselves with that last kick forward.

As I said, tidy this up and be a bit better in the clearances and we are in good shape.

Also once again Kane trying to shit can it and say the eye test is that were boring and slow, which isnt the case. We're just turnover merchants in our forward half.

Again Daniel Hoyne explains that our profile is fine, in fact it compares a lot to Sydney. What is killing us, which we can all see is the fact that we just make it hard for ourselves with that last kick forward.

As I said, tidy this up and be a bit better in the clearances and we are in good shape.

Also once again Kane trying to shit can it and say the eye test is that were boring and slow, which isnt the case. We're just turnover merchants in our forward half.

Agree. We're no where near as far away as people think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As fans become annoyed with certain players they start to see errors in everything that player does. The scape goat, punching bag or whipping boy etc. They never notice the good stuff.

As we lose more games, and the media increases their pile on, the disillusioned fans also start to see things as being grimmer than they perhaps are. They start watching games with a negative mindset. In doing so they perhaps skim over or totally miss some individual player brilliance and improvement and the growth of the younger group of players.

Mates of mine (passionate Saints members) are saying how hard it is to watch the games. And it is hard to disagree. However I think our current woes have less to do with any dour game plan and more to do will poor to average skills and execution.

Still reckon we’re on the right path and I will celebrate any victories along the way, even if they don’t warrant a 24 hour continuous loop of the replay.

As fans become annoyed with certain players they start to see errors in everything that player does. The scape goat, punching bag or whipping boy etc. They never notice the good stuff.

As we lose more games, and the media increases their pile on, the disillusioned fans also start to see things as being grimmer than they perhaps are. They start watching games with a negative mindset. In doing so they perhaps skim over or totally miss some individual player brilliance and improvement and the growth of the younger group of players.

Mates of mine (passionate Saints members) are saying how hard it is to watch the games. And it is hard to disagree. However I think our current woes have less to do with any dour game plan and more to do will poor to average skills and execution.

Still reckon we’re on the right path and I will celebrate any victories along the way, even if they don’t warrant a 24 hour continuous loop of the replay.
Yeah, on the execution we've got a handful of pretty elite, creative, attacking ball users (Nas, Hill, Henry, Sincs, Bonner) but after that it just drops off too dramatically with skill and/or decision making. The defenders are fine (Battle, Wilks, Doogs, Stocker, Jimmy on a good day).

So our game is based around getting the ball in their hands, which means the opposition can focus their defensive pressure on those players, and reduce the quality and quantity of their entries. On top of that we don't score from stoppage, so when the above happens we're pretty much screwed.

The last point will only be fixed with better mids, so there's no point blaming Lyon imo. Again, I think the double-dippers (who criticise the list and then have a go at the coaches) drive a lot of the narratives going around. If our list is so crap, our coaches must be pretty awesome to have dragged us into finals last year. If our coaches are so crap, our list must be OK to have been in the 8 all year.

As for being overly defensive, whatever. I don't want us standing aside and letting them walk past - we'll get slammed pillar to post in the media if we do that, so scrap away Sainters and fight the fight is my say.

And to back it up again, Ross outlined in his presser that we had 8min of slow play to Gold Coast's 21min of slow play.

So again it's not our fault GC wanted to chip around and not move it forward quick which is usually their profile, yet where is the criticism of them playing that way. All the criticism comes down to saints are boring, dour, slow and defensive.

Everyone knows that to break through a defensive press you need to put speed on the ball yet GC were unwilling to do that. Not much we can do about that.

And to back it up again, Ross outlined in his presser that we had 8min of slow play to Gold Coast's 21min of slow play.

So again it's not our fault GC wanted to chip around and not move it forward quick which is usually their profile, yet where is the criticism of them playing that way. All the criticism comes down to saints are boring, dour, slow and defensive.

Everyone knows that to break through a defensive press you need to put speed on the ball yet GC were unwilling to do that. Not much we can do about that.

I struggle to comprehend people (like our former coach) who criticise coaches for putting in effective strategies to keep the opposition scores low. Why would you not do that if your objective is to win games of football?

I struggle to comprehend people (like our former coach) who criticise coaches for putting in effective strategies to keep the opposition scores low. Why would you not do that if your objective is to win games of football?

Either the other teams are doing it back to us, or our strategy stops us scoring as well, then one little lapse of concentration and we suddenly find they have caught up by 24 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back