Preview Round 13 2024 AFL Season: St.Kilda Saints v Gold Coast Suns, Saturday 8th of June 7:30pm, Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was buoyed watching Matteas in the VFL last week who for me looked a decent presence not only inside but around the play also. Confidence in his body language. It could be exciting watching him progress quite rapidly in VFL from here on then come into the side when completely ready.

Seems we’re in a good position currently with a few players working hard to get in at some point; Heath, Keeler, Sharman, Hastie, Schoenmaker, Crouch, Hugo, even Hall will be fun to track for the fence trackers.

Agree with comment(s) here that Schoenmaker gets a crack soon surely. Good to see not only is he a unit the guy’s got some speed too.

Wanting to ask if anyone thinks any sort of training will happen at Moorabbin today (got the day off but don’t want to go there to watch only dog walkers)?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I was buoyed watching Matteas in the VFL last week who for me looked a decent presence not only inside but around the play also. Confidence in his body language. It could be exciting watching him progress quite rapidly in VFL from here on then come into the side when completely ready.

Seems we’re in a good position currently with a few players working hard to get in at some point; Heath, Keeler, Sharman, Hastie, Schoenmaker, Crouch, Hugo, even Hall will be fun to track for the fence trackers.

Agree with comment(s) here that Schoenmaker gets a crack soon surely. Good to see not only is he a unit the guy’s got some speed too.

Wanting to ask if anyone thinks any sort of training will happen at Moorabbin today (got the day off but don’t want to go there to watch only dog walkers)?

Should be the Captains run today but unsure what time they usually do that.
Main training starts at 10:45 so maybe around that time?

Wow we won last week, King has come up, for once some team continuity with no changes and the forum is thrashing in a river of molten lava.

Never change.
Lol! Isn’t that what this place is for?!

I’d have a different narrative though. We manage to just overcome a bottom of the table side missing two key players and are desperate to improve on that effort this week, and are wondering why proven performers have not been included in the side.

All positive chat I think.

Ah yes, the prototype slow winger/half forward who doesn't get the ball, rarely hits the scoreboard and can't take an overhead mark. Superb

I reckon he must be tasked with shutting out an opposition player because on stats he’s barely even visible.

Ah yes, the prototype slow winger/half forward who doesn't get the ball, rarely hits the scoreboard and can't take an overhead mark. Superb
His role is to work up and down the ground as an outlet. His job is not to get the ball, its to keep his width and be there to block off opposition outside ball movement before working forward when we attack. That's how he scored the goal - he outworked his opponent forward.

And since he's a below par ball user, he won't get the ball as much as Hill, Wilson, Wood do because we aren't actively trying to give him the ball. It's a very team-focused role of discipline, and also gives him a less intense role where he can also focus on the leadership side of things

His role is to work up and down the ground as an outlet. His job is not to get the ball, its to keep his width and be there to block off opposition outside ball movement before working forward when we attack. That's how he scored the goal - he outworked his opponent forward.

And since he's a below par ball user, he won't get the ball as much as Hill, Wilson, Wood do because we aren't actively trying to give him the ball. It's a very team-focused role of discipline, and also gives him a less intense role where he can also focus on the leadership side of things
Also in defence of Seb, he's been one of the few "mids" who actually has been able to hit a forward target.

Training was yesterday. It's usually Tuesday & Thursday (if we're not playing Friday)

Good article today about wingers and how they mostly aren't going to get the ball:

I don't know if he's playing on the wing but if he is then sitting outside the contest and away from the ball sounds like it would be a core part of the job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was hoping Crouch for Seb but Crouch still not right obviously.

With no changes and back Marvel we'll get a chance to see if we do have an actual game style to work on. Odds are coming in on us, it wouldn't surprise if we were very slim favourites come the bounce.

Don't you think that's aiming too low and embracing mediocrity? I get that there is much more to the modern game than ball chasing but I can't imagine that there is a top 8 team carrying a player whose role is solely to run up and down the ground to hold a structure.

It's basically the exact opposite of Luke Ball, who won a heap of the footy and made an impact (in a premiership winning team against us) but was shunned by Lyon for his inability to spread. This stubborn mentality cost is a flag.

Shame that Crouch didn’t get up but I’m happy with the midfield we’ve got at the moment. Dow is finding form and Clark has a game under his belt. Just need Windhager to keep improving and Steele to put together four quarters of his best footy. Those four plus Marshall should take it up to that Suns midfield, which is bloody good.

It’s strange to see no ins and outs but the balance looks right and it was a tough win, so they all go again.

Also in defence of Seb, he's been one of the few "mids" who actually has been able to hit a forward target.
Yep, with time and space he actually assess his options and delivers decent. But Nas Sinc Hill and apparently Bonner are all still better users so he's not one to get a lot of the share of uncontested ball

Good article today about wingers and how they mostly aren't going to get the ball:

I don't know if he's playing on the wing but if he is then sitting outside the contest and away from the ball sounds like it would be a core part of the job.
This is a perfectly timed article for Saints fans haha. Wood is our 'near-side' winger who sits off back of stoppage to support the defence, while Wilson/Hill/Ross are the fatside wingers depending on who's on the wing at the time. One of those three will push up from half forward to replace Wood on true wing, which is what Hill/Wilson normally do

Going on a tangent, this is also why when we retrieve the ball, our forward line seems dysfunctional. One of our half forwards is way too high up the ground, bringing in the importance of gut running that Hill and Wilson do so well. But often it takes too long for them to run back and the opposition are left with a spare to intercept our entries that were already putrid anyway from some of the shocking skills on display

Don't you think that's aiming too low and embracing mediocrity? I get that there is much more to the modern game than ball chasing but I can't imagine that there is a top 8 team carrying a player whose role is solely to run up and down the ground to hold a structure.

It's basically the exact opposite of Luke Ball, who won a heap of the footy and made an impact (in a premiership winning team against us) but was shunned by Lyon for his inability to spread. This stubborn mentality cost is a flag.
Look you might be right, but playing a kid who's clearly not ready is also embracing mediocrity to an extent. We already tried Byrnes and Hastie in the same role, and they both weren't up to it so why persist and reward their mediocrity? The disposal count for Ross' role is highly volatile - he could easily have 20 touches this week if the ball is stuck on his wing

GWS have Jacob Wehr
Carlton have Cottrell/Hollandsx2
Bulldogs have Bailey Williams
Brisbane have Jaspa Fletcher
Swans have been a bit unstable there with Lloyd/McInerney/Roberts/Campbell/Cunningham all been tried
Geelong have Tuohy/Dempsey
Bombers have Nik Cox

Every team has one, you just don't notice them because they will never do anything fancy

This is a perfectly timed article for Saints fans haha. Wood is our 'near-side' winger who sits off back of stoppage to support the defence, while Wilson/Hill/Ross are the fatside wingers depending on who's on the wing at the time. One of those three will push up from half forward to replace Wood on true wing, which is what Hill/Wilson normally do.
Not sure about this. Isn’t it dependent on where the ball is? If the ball is on the side of the ground that Wood is lined up on, he automatically becomes the skinny side wingman and Hill becomes the fat side wingman. They then do the job they’ve been given for that situation e.g. Wood sits off the back when skinny side but goes forward when fat side.

Seb has played wing/half fwd the past 2 games with no CBAs. While I agree he's lucky to stay in after his performance, he's not a like-for-like role replacement for Crouch based on the past few games.
Seb has played wing/half fwd the past 2 games with no CBAs. While I agree he's lucky to stay in after his performance, he's not a like-for-like role replacement for Crouch based on the past few games.

The mysteries of life.

1.Why do I keep finding crumbs in the cutlery draw, even though everything I put in there is clean

2. Why do I keep putting money on the Saints when they are heavy favourites, even though I know they will probably shit the bed.
3. Why do I keep reading Cairnsman's posts, even though I know they will somehow pot Sharman.

On another topic, I'm keen to start a new group called "meet thy maker"
Schoenmaker that is. RTB get him into the team somehow. Last week one of his kickouts reached the wing, and he can pass the ball 50m without issue. He has to get a run before the end of the season. Surely!
God forbid Wilkie ever getting an injury, but possibly the only way Schoey gets a game this season unfortunately.
And until he developes contested craft, he won't be replacing Battle, Cordy or Howard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back