Review Round 13, 2024 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against the Western Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Rayner wasn’t flashy but he was definitely impactful. Physically imposing around the contest at man and ball, carried the ball with pace and he can draw the opponent and flick off the handball to advantage with the best of them.

If games like that were his baseline I’d be very satisfied.
My knock on Cam hasn't been the games where he does little , it's the dropped marks, fumbles and shanked kicks at the times when we need him to step up . More important than the inconsistency.

Last night was one of his best games for the club. He played a team game across 4 quarters and was reasonably sure by hand or foot . Did a bit of bullocking work.

If he could play like that most weeks he cements his spot. I do wonder where he slots in now that Morris seems to have cemented a spot as 3rd tall. We still didn't see him in the back half much last night despite taking some midfield minutes.

I want to be so excited, jump up and down and yell - WE ARE BACK. But it's just one game, good signs but one good win it's not a saved season. Lets see next week if we find consistency.

Neale, Berry, Big O, Hipwood (just 1 good game this season) Andrews.

Special mention to Logan Morris, the kid has potential and is a regular contributor on the scoreboard, a great debut season so far.

The oh dear, Rayner and Cameron, especially Charlie in this game - all at sea, the pair are just drifting away.
Yeah poor Charlie ,wasn’t getting near it
Got to break free a bit earlier,not sure
Rayner did pretty good I thought
Nothing out of the ordinary but looked like he was involved and had more than a few moments
That was what should be expected,his baseline, still had a good game.

The biggest surprise was starce
Thought it was one of his best and tbh I had gone off him,another great game.
Hippie, game winning performance along with Locke.
Answerth for McKenna next week.
The only downer for the team was in the game earlier being 💩 inside fifties
Turned that around thankfully.
lohmann had dirty slippery hands but still had a great team game, I think a little underrated
Still think Sharp would have been good for us with bez in midfield
Pissing in the wind there.
I also believe with the new interpretation of the rules we did well with the umpires
That is a lottery so I’ll take it when it’s there.
We were the better side unmistakable for sure
Great win

Rayner wasn’t flashy but he was definitely impactful. Physically imposing around the contest at man and ball, carried the ball with pace and he can draw the opponent and flick off the handball to advantage with the best of them.

If games like that were his baseline I’d be very satisfied.
Yep you just got in before me
It’s all about his base base line .

Berry needs to play on ball, whether he’s playing as a designated tagger or not. He’s more than capable of winning his own ball, and if needed putting a clamp on the oppos best mid. Never want to see him on a wing again, he doesn’t have the outside polish for that.

I, like others, thought Cam’s game was quite good, certainly far better than anything he’s produced recently, he just needs to produce that as his baseline more often.

The continued worry out of this game is Charlie’s form. I’ve said I personally believe he’s lost some of his top end speed, whether that be due to an injury or age (or both) who knows, but we need to be able to still get him into the game when he’s getting nowhere near it like last night. Put him on ball or for a stint off HB to get a couple of cheaper touches. If he can somehow get back to even 80% on previous form in the back half of the year, then we are a chance of sneaking into the 8.

Berry needs to play on ball, whether he’s playing as a designated tagger or not. He’s more than capable of winning his own ball, and if needed putting a clamp on the oppos best mid. Never want to see him on a wing again, he doesn’t have the outside polish for that.

I, like others, thought Cam’s game was quite good, certainly far better than anything he’s produced recently, he just needs to produce that as his baseline more often.

The continued worry out of this game is Charlie’s form. I’ve said I personally believe he’s lost some of his top end speed, whether that be due to an injury or age (or both) who knows, but we need to be able to still get him into the game when he’s getting nowhere near it like last night. Put him on ball or for a stint off HB to get a couple of cheaper touches. If he can somehow get back to even 80% on previous form in the back half of the year, then we are a chance of sneaking into the 8.
We basically had control of this game from the first bounce and never had any hope of losing it. Our energy and work rate was up . Theirs was down. So Charlie being down was immaterial . He played further up the ground and the way we were transitioning it he didn't have much hope of getting a kick.

I'm not convinced at all that he's lost top end speed. You'll se it when he gets his confidence back. He doesn't look like kicking a goal from a set shot these days ,even looks unhappy taking it ,but once again he's a confidence player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I sat in a mostly Doggies supporter bay and the irony of how much they complained about the free kick count and htb decisions was amazing. Also amusing how often the loudest complainers are always the first to bail from the game at three quarter time.

I was really happy with how we played to the rules adjustment. Our kick mark controlling play didnt leave us exposed too often, and our pressure was hot and caught them out a huge amount. We just restricted the handball game so well. Massive credit for the adjustment in the game plan / coaching.

Was very interested in how McCluggage played much wider on the wing this week. The other interesting thing was Daniher being the one going to the wing in red time to get behind the ball as a spare.

In Airlie Beach for my dad's 70th. Perfect place to be regardless of the result, but have loved reading the comments. Can't wait to see the game!

Eric kicking 6 makes me so happy. We are all very quick to judge Eric the footballer and fair enough, but Eric the man has had to fight through a lot of adversity and - footballer or not - we are all prone to struggle when life gets tough. It's part of being human. The other side of the coin is digging your way out, and last night's performance would have meant a hell of a lot to Eric. Emotional nourishment. Hard fought and well earned Eric!

2nd quarter, McCluggage under pressure from a couple of players in the backline, doesnt bomb it away for a turnover, but uses the stiff arm, kicks it right through the middle, runs through the pack and picks up the ensuring clearance, finds an open Morris who gets it to Hipwood 20m in the clear for a goal. Brilliant play, that's how you do it.

Definitely a sign that we are finding some confidence.

The dogs have been throwers, dropping the ball when tackled and off the ball scraggers for years, good to see it finally being properly policed. Having said that I can’t remember being on the right side of the free kick ledger like that for a long time
I think we are slightly on the positive side this year with slightly more frees for than against. But yeah been a long time since I remember us having that many more than the opposition

hippy was incredible......Oscar rucked with desperation, aggression and skill.

downside.....Lohman needs to work harder when we don't have the ball.

And how do we get Robertson, Lyons and Smith into the team
:eek:

From my aged eyes Lohmann works bloody hard when we don't have the ball, he was very good last night.

Lyons is way above VFL level but is too slow for AFL footy, only gets a game if Neale goes down and even then I think I would prefer Dev as the first option as he runs hard both ways.

Henry Smith been great in the reserves but he is not displacing Oscar anytime soon as our number 1 ruck.

Do we have people watching the broadcasts? Over and over they had a go at us for bombing it in and it feels like we fixed that after quarter time.
I think early on when the pressure is at it's highest, it's a valid tactic to try and lock the ball in the F50. Linc has been underrated in the defensive arts and we're missing him and a low-ebb Charlie isn't really helping. Once the game opened up a bit it's far easier to find the space to lead.

My knock on Cam hasn't been the games where he does little , it's the dropped marks, fumbles and shanked kicks at the times when we need him to step up . More important than the inconsistency.

Last night was one of his best games for the club. He played a team game across 4 quarters and was reasonably sure by hand or foot . Did a bit of bullocking work.

If he could play like that most weeks he cements his spot. I do wonder where he slots in now that Morris seems to have cemented a spot as 3rd tall. We still didn't see him in the back half much last night despite taking some midfield minutes.

Indeed. Cam's game was selfless team first effort. This is a new Rayner that may just be the makings of him. We have seen how Berry's midfield game has been elevated by the extra responsibility of tagging the opposition's best midfielder.

Well the Rayner progression to an A grade midfielder may also be a tweak to the mindset and given specific non glamorous team first tasks. The interesting thing, which was pointed out to me, in the first half Rayner had the third best "Supecoach" score yet he only recorded eight disposals. That meant he was doing the extra non glamorous team first grunt. May it continue.

Been mentioned 50 times already but Neale, Hipwood and Berry were outstanding.

I also want to give a shout out to Starcevich who isn’t getting many plaudits but was so solid in his return from injury.

I cannot wait to see Ashcroft return alongside Wilmot, Lohmann and Morris. Our younger brigade are showing fantastic signs for the future. Wilmot has become one of our best and most consistent players.

I also felt like we started to see some signs of a return to form for Clug, Rayner and Bailey. When our midfielders are all getting 20+ disposals and you see Rayner and Bailey among the goal kickers with 15+ possessions we usually win.

Andrews, Lester, Zorko, O and Daniher all did their bit. A great team performance all round!

:eek:

From my aged eyes Lohmann works bloody hard when we don't have the ball, he was very good last night.

Lyons is way above VFL level but is too slow for AFL footy, only gets a game if Neale goes down and even then I think I would prefer Dev as the first option as he runs hard both ways.

Henry Smith been great in the reserves but he is not displacing Oscar anytime soon as our number 1 ruck.
Check out how many times he just trails in behind the opposition ball carrier running at 8/10 speed. He needs to understand that his roll is pressure. He goes at 10/10 speed when it looks like he can get it but he trots along passively when he doesn't.....too much time playing with joe will do that.

Been mentioned 50 times already but Neale, Hipwood and Berry were outstanding.

I also want to give a shout out to Starcevich who isn’t getting many plaudits but was so solid in his return from injury.

I cannot wait to see Ashcroft return alongside Wilmot, Lohmann and Morris. Our younger brigade are showing fantastic signs for the future. Wilmot has become one of our best and most consistent players.

I also felt like we started to see some signs of a return to form for Clug, Rayner and Bailey. When our midfielders are all getting 20+ disposals and you see Rayner and Bailey among the goal kickers with 15+ possessions we usually win.

Andrews, Lester, Zorko, O and Daniher all did their bit. A great team performance all round!
I'm not much of a Starce fan but he was good last night

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 13, 2024 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Back