Autopsy Round 13... cats 16.4 def Dogs 5.13

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a strikingly scary similarity between the Geelong game and the Kangaroos one. I just can't exactly put my finger on what it is. Besides the manic pressure they put on, they have worked something out and drowns our play. Against Norf I was thinking it was due to the lack of a tall forward, but this time there was Redpath and the same thing happened. Collingwood did it too.

It is almost as if manic pressure, forcing our forwards to play behind defense formations and waiting on the outside turns our team into a confused state of mind.

We need two tall up front. Both Repath and Boyd in the same team, thanks. Bring in a proper TALL KPD, already have plenty of third talls, JJ/Wood/Murph - midfield is already excellent besides Dhal, add in Crameri to the forward line along with Red/Boyd and Stringer and Dickson loitering around, and we are a premiership chance.

This is going to sound stupid, but I have said it all year. OUR DEFENSE is our weakness. Individually speaking. As a group, they are well drilled and can hold up (see Port game). But individually, some of our defenders are hopeless. We need taller, proper KPD.

Honeychurch, Biggs, Campbell, Jong, Stevens, Roberts and Hamling are depth players. We will never win a premiership if they are 22 starters.

There was a strikingly scary similarity between the Geelong game and the Kangaroos one. I just can't exactly put my finger on what it is. Besides the manic pressure they put on, they have worked something out and drowns our play.

They did something which shut down our ball movement.

Normally when we win the ball at stoppage or win a ground ball we have a wave of players running past and we handball sideways several times until we find some space. Whenever we won the ball and started handballing sideways there was always a Geelong player right next to the handball receiver ready to tackle immediately. This is why their tackle numbers were so high.

They did something which shut down our ball movement.

Normally when we win the ball at stoppage or win a ground ball we have a wave of players running past and we handball sideways several times until we find some space. Whenever we won the ball and started handballing sideways there was always a Geelong player right next to the handball receiver ready to tackle immediately. This is why their tackle numbers were so high.

They pushed us wide and dared us to bring the ball inside.. when we did we often turned it over which led to Geelong goals. When we played down the line we kicked long to the Geelong defenders and got out-marked & out-numbered and then got burnt on the counter as we didn't/ couldn't work hard enough to man up and create a turn-over.

Big test for Beveridge & team on how they change things up in rd 19 & 20.

There was a strikingly scary similarity between the Geelong game and the Kangaroos one. I just can't exactly put my finger on what it is. Besides the manic pressure they put on, they have worked something out and drowns our play. Against Norf I was thinking it was due to the lack of a tall forward, but this time there was Redpath and the same thing happened. Collingwood did it too.

It is almost as if manic pressure, forcing our forwards to play behind defense formations and waiting on the outside turns our team into a confused state of mind.

We need two tall up front. Both Repath and Boyd in the same team, thanks. Bring in a proper TALL KPD, already have plenty of third talls, JJ/Wood/Murph - midfield is already excellent besides Dhal, add in Crameri to the forward line along with Red/Boyd and Stringer and Dickson loitering around, and we are a premiership chance.

This is going to sound stupid, but I have said it all year. OUR DEFENSE is our weakness. Individually speaking. As a group, they are well drilled and can hold up (see Port game). But individually, some of our defenders are hopeless. We need taller, proper KPD.

Honeychurch, Biggs, Campbell, Jong, Stevens, Roberts and Hamling are depth players. We will never win a premiership if they are 22 starters.
Agree
My assessment is that they the cats and Roos were set up to intercept our short passing game
They were daring us to do it and all 18 cats and Roos on the field were zoning and switched on from the get go with elevated energy levels. To intercept

One solution we could try is to play the first quarter in straight lines to packs. Obviously this plays into their hands because they are taller with more marking options. But if they setup for the chip passing and we know that ain't the plan for the first quarter - we can limit the damage.

North cats and Hawks all got a lead early on us because they stifled our normal game and intercepted our movement. This undermined our confidence. But
That 18 man zone intercept plan relies on everyone being switched on and this is impossible to maintain as players tire.

So we limit the damage in the 1st q by playing defensive pack football and then switch when the game settles.

Thoughts?

Agree
My assessment is that they the cats and Roos were set up to intercept our short passing game
They were daring us to do it and all 18 cats and Roos on the field were zoning and switched on from the get go with elevated energy levels. To intercept

One solution we could try is to play the first quarter in straight lines to packs. Obviously this plays into their hands because they are taller with more marking options. But if they setup for the chip passing and we know that ain't the plan for the first quarter - we can limit the damage.

North cats and Hawks all got a lead early on us because they stifled our normal game and intercepted our movement. This undermined our confidence. But
That 18 man zone intercept plan relies on everyone being switched on and this is impossible to maintain as players tire.

So we limit the damage in the 1st q by playing defensive pack football and then switch when the game settles.

Thoughts?
Fair plan, but hard to get the whole team to notice it and switch to that plan if it occurrs. Unless we just go in with that plan first quarter regardless.

Fair plan, but hard to get the whole team to notice it and switch to that plan if it occurrs. Unless we just go in with that plan first quarter regardless.
I think against the best teams it maybe necessary to change our game style early and then revert as the game settles.

We were sitting ducks in the 1st quarter v geelong. They were on a mission to stifle our ball movement. The harder we tried to sustain it the more damage they inflicted on the rebound.

QF v Adelaide was similar our mid field got some early goals from centre breaks but once they got the intercepts turn over going they caught us and went past quickly.

Will be fascinating to see what we come up with next time.

I think it was the pressure they applied if we are going to have one extra on the ball we are going to be out numbered in the forward line. We need quick precise entry from centre break wins or to be able to use handball out wide or even backwards to set up targets. Long bombs to not work when you are one down in the forward line. At one stage the tackle count against the cats was 13 to our 1.

It be interesting to see when we get our best side back if a game plan succeeds against the best or do we need a plan B. I think once you have settled on a game style in pre season it is pretty much how you play all season with slight tweaks against different opposition and who you have available.

Bevo with Wood, Dahl, JJ, Stevens and possibly Mclean, Boyd and Clay back will just back our game style and personnel to win out if it is not good enough then we lose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 13... cats 16.4 def Dogs 5.13

Remove this Banner Ad

Back