Autopsy Round 13... cats 16.4 def Dogs 5.13

Remove this Banner Ad

Too many of our players didn't come to play, turnovers and missed goals killed us. Simple as that. Full strength the margin would've been closer, but let's not pretend it cost us the game.

So tell me, did your structures fall apart because your players were too young/inexperienced to successfully implement them, or were your structures changed on the fly to compensate for the fact that you don't have the players to pull off your ideal game plan?

He is now trolling

Mods give him a day off

We get done for Half this in other forums so let's play by their rules now

You won mate go the @&$& away

So tell me, did your structures fall apart because your players were too young/inexperienced to successfully implement them, or were your structures changed on the fly to compensate for the fact that you don't have the players to pull off your ideal game plan?

Our structures have stood up fine against other finalists including the Eagles the other grand finalist. However we have a young list made even younger by injuries.

I also think our tough game the week before against Port took it out of us, whereas you had a bruise free game against North due their injuries. Finally I would point out our structures stood up ok against Carlton (with no bench) and Collingwood. How did Geelong's structure stack up? What do you think were the reasons you lost both those games? Did Geelong lose it's structure?

Our structures have stood up fine against other finalists including the Eagles the other grand finalist. However we have a young list made even younger by injuries.

I also think our tough game the week before against Port took it out of us, whereas you had a bruise free game against North due their injuries. Finally I would point out our structures stood up ok against Carlton (with no bench) and Collingwood. How did Geelong's structure stack up? What do you think were the reasons you lost both those games? Did Geelong lose it's structure?
I have no idea how we lost to Carlton and Collingwood. They both played blinders respectively while we were just off our game. It happens. Hawthorn lost multiple times to Richmond and Port Adelaide. It never mattered in the end.

I just think some clubs structure up better against other clubs. It's kind of like paper, rock and scissors. You can beat one team, that team can beat another team yet the team that lost to the team you beat go on to beat you.

How many best 22 were geelong missing out of curiosity. It's absolutely no excuse, I just want to know.

For us I count:

Jj, wood, Stevens, Murphy, crameri, Dahl

Sorry about the belated response.

The only players out of the cats team who would improve it(playing at there best) are S Selwood, Mitch Clark and cam Guthrie. We have coverage for them, but that's a lot of talent in those three.

It was good to finally find out what happened when the two least accurate goal kicking teams played, I was very surprised how straight we kicked. I gotta say, it felt pretty great. Kind of like the opposite of massive frustration.

Why put off till later what you can do now?
You're not helping if your intention is to get rid of me.

Before I do go, our clubs meet again in five weeks' time. Of the players that were missing last Saturday, who do you expect to see back? I'm thinking Boyd, Dalhaus and Johannisen? Any others?

Before I do go, our clubs meet again in five weeks' time. Of the players that were missing last Saturday, who do you expect to see back? I'm thinking Boyd, Dalhaus and Johannisen? Any others?
Definitely Wood (fingers crossed) and possibly Stevens

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wood and JJ in the backline, Dalh in the midfield and possibly Clay Smith (the players would lift for his first game back) and Boyd for the forward line. That is a lot of experience for our young side. Forgot Stevens, we would take out the really young players and go with our most experienced side.

I respect you Mike, but not need to get all serious and tell other posters where to go, when they are having a genuine conversation and not necessarily trolling

Let's try keep the spirits high
I don't buy that they are not trolling or trying to have a genuine conversation.

I engaged once and have only received smug condescension back. Fool me once...

I respect you Mike, but not need to get all serious and tell other posters where to go, when they are having a genuine conversation and not necessarily trolling

Let's try keep the spirits high

Mate look at his first post

It dropped of arrogance and condensation and that's coming from me :)

Wood and JJ in the backline, Dalh in the midfield and possibly Clay Smith (the players would lift for his first game back) and Boyd for the forward line. That is a lot of experience for our young side. Forgot Stevens, we would take out the really young players and go with our most experienced side.
Would prefer McLean in the side as well.

He simply isn't physically capable IMHO. You reckon Bev would give him a game if he was a non tryer? Seriously?

You make a very good point. I seriously trust Bev, so maybe we just don't have another alternative at the moment. Let's hope that during the tail end of the year he has some better selection options.

A little from column A, a lot from column B. We are reliant on a few important and key players in our forward attacking setup

Why the **** are Geelong posters hanging around our board like a bad smell? Particularly with their subtle trolling. **** off.

Hopefully Easton Wood, Koby Stevens and Clay Smith. Wood, Dahlhaus and JJ are the really important ones though. Tom Boyd is hardly best 22 and Im not sold that he makes us a better side at the moment.

Geelong’s structure killed us.

Their structure is push the opposition to the boundary at all costs when defending, stay on the centre side of your opponent. Wait or force the turnover “inboard” then slice them up on the overlap through the centre corridor. They have been doing it for years.

They are well drilled and use the ball well.

Our game plan is franatic contested game and quick short handballs, pushing up in defence, getting numbers around the ball.

This game plan works well against a lot of sides, yet if you don’t use the ball well you can leak easy goals on the turn over. This happened on the weekend and against Adelaide in the finals.

Our game plan needs to be tweaked, some cleaner outside players added or we won’t go anywhere in Sept. Bevo can do it though.

Apologies for posting so long after the game.

The thing i noticed most being at the game was the breakdown of our defensive "transition" where one player goes to the opposition player with the ball (leaving their man) and the next doggies defender pushes up to cover the next man.

There were multiple times where two or three Bulldogs players were drawn to the Geelong player with the footy leaving multiple open options for them to cut through our press. I don't think that this would have been a directive from the coaches to change what we have been doing all year, which means the players failed to roll out our defensive gameplan.

Because of this we were chasing tail a lot more throughout the first three quarters and you could see the majority of the players were spent in the last which resulted in the blow out.

Hopefully they learn from this and also learn how to kick straight and take their opportunities when they come like Geelong did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 13... cats 16.4 def Dogs 5.13

Remove this Banner Ad

Back