Round 13: Geelong vs Essendon

• Thread starter ScouseCat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

S

ScouseCat

After a narrow 16 point loss to Fremantle 2 weeks ago at Subiaco and having the bye on the weekend, Geelong faces Essendon at Telstra Dome on Friday night.

Essendon have struggled for consistency this season, winning just 5 of their 12 games. Essendon's last match was against the Kangaroos at Telstra Dome, coming up short in a game which could have gone either way. They will be desperate for a win against Geelong this week, otherwise their finals chances will be all but gone. Geelong on the other hand will be keen to record their 4th win of the season and move further away from the dreaded wooden spoon position.

Last time the Bombers and Cats played, Geelong ran out comfortable winners at Telstra Dome, restricting Essendon to just 8 goals for the entire match.

Jarrad Rooke is one player to watch on Friday night. Rooke has been a good player for us so far this season, and should James Hird play, I'd expect Rooke to be given the important job of shutting down the Essendon captain.

Kent Kingsley is another player to keep an eye on this week. Kingsley has kicked 9 goals in his last 2 games after coming back into the side, and will need to continue on that good form if we're to register a decent score against Essendon.

Cameron Ling is also one player to watch on Friday night. Ling was suspended for the round 16 game against Essendon last year, and will be keen to do well this time around and continue his good form this season.

This week's game against Essendon is definately a winnable game for us. The Bombers aren't exactly setting the world on fire at the moment, and provided we play well, we're a good chance to upset the Bombers and all but end their finals hopes for the year.

Go Cats!!

Article from Monday morning's Age is hinting that James Hird could very well return for the Bombers on Friday night.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/06/22/1056220477705.html

(relevant excerpt only)

Hird set to make comeback against Cats

By Melissa Ryan
June 23 2003

Barring calamity, Essendon captain James Hird will resume his place for Friday night's clash against Geelong. He is to return after the calf injury that fitness conditioning coach John Quinn equated to having "300 kilos of force going into a single point".

"I trained with Hirdy yesterday and did a session with explosive sprinting, kicking, changing directions, and he's been on a special program for the last week," Quinn said. "I can say to you with 100 per cent surety, unless there's some calamity over the next five to six days, James Hird is an absolute certainty to line up against Geelong.

"We've had him working very hard. In many respects, he's worked harder in the last two or three weeks than he would have if he had have been playing. He's had to work hard because we don't want him to come back against Geelong on Friday and be running out of puff after half a game or something."

Hird's injury has been a complex one. He received it in round seven when a Richmond player landed heavily on his calf in a marking contest. His calf quickly ballooned, but there was no apparent muscle damage when the swelling went down.

The amount of intensive running was increased in response, but he had a setback two days before the round-10 West Coast match, when he was scheduled to return.

"We thought, 'Oh, what have we done, we may have pushed him too hard, too soon'," Quinn said. "In hindsight, that may have been the case because what had happened, it hasn't torn the muscle fibre itself, but the sheath (around the fibre) has become separated from the sheath beside it.

"Where they've separated, blood has come into that void and filled it and that's been difficult to get that blood out of there."

Further excitement for the Bombers could come with the selection of Jobe Watson for his senior debut, which coach Kevin Sheedy last week signalled was a distinct possibility.

In addition to Hird, I know that Essendon have been carrying some other injuries in recent weeks prior to the bye as well.. any updates on those? Bomber fans, feel free to chime in (as always, we not only welcome the opposition's respectful opinions and information on this board, we encourage it)...

One thing's for certain-- Dean Rioli had been given a three-week ban last week by the tribunal, so that's one less worry for us.

Without Mooney and with James Hird coming back from injury, I think that Essendon will win a close contest on Friday night.

Just got an sms from Y_I who is ill.

Essendon are struggling but they will win a close battle with the Cats.

Geelong have a few out suspended and injured and the last time they played was against Fremantle over at Subi.

goldrush did write suspended and injured, but that still really makes it 1. :)

Mooney Suspended
Hunt would be a little doubtful, but should play ressies.

Originally posted by phatandphreaky
Yep, with Gumby out, there go our chances of winning in the next two games.

Would Mooney have made much of a difference anyway, especially next week against Port?? I still think we're a chance this week. Essendon aren't much chop in the ruck and if we can dominate around the packs with King and Chambers giving our midfield first use of the ball, Lloyd and Lucas aren't going to get the supply they need to kick a winning score for the Bombers.

Originally posted by ScouseCat
Would Mooney have made much of a difference anyway, especially next week against Port?? I still think we're a chance this week. Essendon aren't much chop in the ruck and if we can dominate around the packs with King and Chambers giving our midfield first use of the ball, Lloyd and Lucas aren't going to get the supply they need to kick a winning score for the Bombers.
Yep with Mooney being able to kick goals as well as defend. Tell me who is going to stop Scott Lucas other than Ben Graham?

Originally posted by goaldrush
Just got an sms from Y_I who is ill.

Thanks, Suz. Yes, guilty as charged, with a bad head cold, and picking myself up off the canvas here... :)

Going back to Suz's original post, I'll respectfully disagree with her. I would doubt that Cameron Mooney, who has been struggling to find a consistent form all season, means more to Geelong than a potentially dangerous James Hird-- who has been missing to that club for the last several weeks.

Assuming that both don't play (we know Mooney won't), Steve Johnson will take over for Mooney, and he's done pretty well in the VFL in recent weeks. He kicked three against North Ballarat a week ago yesterday, and looked good all over the ground, goalkicking aside.

As for Hird, they've played without him for at least the last month or so, and Kevin Sheedy would know how to prepare his team without Hird in the lineup. And the same can be said for other Bombers who are missing and/or injured as well...

And Mooney will be the only one missing this week, the rest of the squad is as fit as a fiddle.

I think Geelong can win a close one, it won't be as dominant of a performance as last year's Round 16 match was, ut it could be as little as a difference of less than a couple of goals.

However, at this point in the week, I'll say Geelong by about 16 points. Subject to change, however...

Working beautifully.

Um, not heard of Scarlett or Harley?

BTW Gumby has never been able to defend. Hell, i doubt he even knows what the word means.
I have heard that Mooney can play CHB.
Scarlett and Harley would not be able to stop Scott Lucas or Matthew Lloyd respectively

Nope, Mooney's a CHF exclusively.

As P&P said, we doubt Mooney could play an ounce of defence if his life depended upon it.

Scarlett and Harley would not be able to stop Scott Lucas or Matthew Lloyd respectively

I think they would do a pretty fair job in tandem, along with Graham, if not individually. After all, it is a team game...

Suzi,

Please go away as far as possible. You know stuff all about football in general, and even less about the Geelong Football Club.

For you to suggest that:

a) Mooney is good in defense
b) Lloyd & Lucas are far too good for Scarlett (most likely AA FB 2003) & Harley and then to make yourself look even more stupid by offering this nugget of wisdom:
c) Mooney for the job on Lloyd & Lucas

you do nothing but to support my request for you to go as far away as possible and stop sprouting out such inane, idiotic suggestions that someone drinking peyote with absinthe chasers wouldn't be capable of. Let it go.

Originally posted by Tyler Durden
Suzi,

Please go away as far as possible. You know stuff all about football in general, and even less about the Geelong Football Club.

For you to suggest that:

a) Mooney is good in defense
b) Lloyd & Lucas are far too good for Scarlett (most likely AA FB 2003) & Harley and then to make yourself look even more stupid by offering this nugget of wisdom:
c) Mooney for the job on Lloyd & Lucas

you do nothing but to support my request for you to go as far away as possible and stop sprouting out such inane, idiotic suggestions that someone drinking peyote with absinthe chasers wouldn't be capable of. Let it go.

It's only a game and this is a forum where we can discuss our opinions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's only a game and this is a forum where we can discuss our opinions.

That is exactly right, so lets stick to the topic at hand and leave the other stuff off this board.

Doing my best to get this thread back on track...

Kent Kingsley is another player to keep an eye on this week. Kingsley has kicked 9 goals in his last 2 games after coming back into the side, and will need to continue on that good form if we're to register a decent score against Essendon.

Kingsley's been on fire, yes-- and I would expect him to score another bagful of goals provided that the delivery is there.

However, the Cats will need another forward to grab some marks on the lead and kick towards the big sticks in order to take some of the pressure off of Big Kent.

I said earlier that Steve Johnson would be the one most likely to take over the CHF spot from Cam Mooney. Also, would this be a good spot for Aaron Lord to continue his run of good form? And who else might stand a chance at producing alongside Kingsley.

Any other ideas?

Cameron Ling is also one player to watch on Friday night. Ling was suspended for the round 16 game against Essendon last year, and will be keen to do well this time around and continue his good form this season.

Agreed on that, I can see great things from Ling (especially if he has to go up against Hird in the centre of the ground) and from Chambers as well. Our midfielders played quite well against the Bombers in that Round 17 match last year, and I don't see us having any problems in exploiting those matchups on Friday night as well.

Re: Re: Re: Round 13: Geelong vs Essendon

A CHF traditionally is a strong marking tall. Neither Lord or Johnson fit the bill.

In that case, I'm sure one player or the other will have some sort of influence as a small forward (which Lord has had in recent matches).

I'd plonk McCarthy and Graham in the forward line, and let it play out from there.

That, I think, is the more likely scenario. Conventional wisdom, if you want to call it that. :)

In any event...

(a) Steve Johnson will get a run somewhere, and

(b) Geelong will need production and results from a forward option other than Kent Kingsley.

You cats seem to match up well against us, so i suspect it will be close...

Lloydy will be doing his best to get Fletch as AA FB, so i hope he kicks a bag :D

If one side gets a matchwinning lead, what's the bet they put Gary on Jobe ?

Originally posted by Darealrath
If one side gets a matchwinning lead, what's the bet they put Gary on Jobe ?

Or vice-versa? Could happen, just a hunch that I have.

I said it a few minutes ago over on the Essendon board, and it wouldn't surprise me if it happened much sooner than that.

May not happen at all, but I think it's something a lot of casual observors will want to see-- the sons of legends going head-to-head against one another...

Gee Suzi perhaps you should stick to all things Hawforn...

Scarlett can handle pretty much anyone in the AFL. Mooney can't even handle his mind let alone a star forward.

Originally posted by Unwritten_Law
Well I'm looking forward to the David Clarke - Matthew Lloyd match up, should be a ball tearer.

David Clarke will most likely be running around in the VFL, especially considering his recent form there. Mind you, he could be brought in to rustle a few Essendon feathers on Friday night.

Almost as good as the potential Peter Street - James Hird battle.

Street has the pace, strength and skills, but Hird has the height advantage.
if hird is fit he will kill street
if he is still recovering though street will have a chance.
haven't seen much of geelong admittedly, wat'd u say u'r strengths and weaknesses have been this season..
imo the game will be won or lost in the centre, any team who can take control in this (our weakness) has the upperhand
hird coming back should improve our clearences however, llyod has been in sensational form and if cupido supports him as he did in the first few games we should be able to get enough goals to win.

More news on the Bombers-- and an update on the James Hird watch...

Kevin Sheedy has confirmed, at least for the moment, that James Hird will make his return from inury against the Cats on Friday night.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=100632

Hird ready to return
5:26:00 PM Mon 23 June, 2003
Matt Burgan
afl.com.au

Essendon skipper James Hird is set to return for this Friday night’s clash against Geelong at the Telstra Dome after missing the past five matches through injury.

The 30-year-old suffered a calf injury against Richmond in round seven and has been sorely missed since, with the Bombers winning just two games since round eight.

Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy confirmed on Monday at the Bombers’ training session at Windy Hill that Hird was likely to resume.

“I think there’s a fair chance that he’d be in. I think he’s pretty happy with the way the injury has come along, but it’s like anything with Jim, you’ve just got to make sure you wait and see now. That’s where it’s at,” Sheedy said.

Sheedy said Hird would have plenty of motivation to return to the field and prove several critics wrong, who believe that his injury-plagued body has been put through enough.

“He’s pretty keen to prove a lot of people wrong,” Sheedy said.

“Caroline Wilson probably wrote this year, that he’s a fading star and I think he’s pretty keen to make amends on that comment.”

When asked if Hird would pull the pin at the end of the season and announce his retirement, Sheedy said that he expected the Bombers’ great would continue.

“We naturally hope he doesn’t (retire). I wouldn’t think he would,” Sheedy said.

“He’s got to make up for a bit of lost time doesn’t he?”

“He’s probably played three years of the last five.”

Sheedy said he would consider giving Hird in alternative roles on the ground in order to prolong his career, but he said that it would be a weekly proposition.

“That’s a possibility. It just depends on the opposition’s player placements, but his last injury was a freak of nature and the injury last year was also,” Sheedy said.

“I said ‘I don’t think Danny Frawley told Chaffey to go out and jump on James Hird’s calf muscle and I’m pretty sure I didn’t go and tell Mark McVeigh to go and belt his head in’.”

“It’s pretty hard. He’s a very unlucky player Jim Hird – very, very unlucky player.”

“We’ll drop a couple of players. There’s no doubt about that and I don’t think we’ll be bringing a younger player in, if Hird comes in.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 13: Geelong vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back