Autopsy Round 14, 2022: St.Kilda v Essendon *SPUD'S GAME*

Remove this Banner Ad

always going to stretch us, hindsight is a marvellous thing but Hunter was always going to struggle and so the midfield just needed another 1 or 2 midfielders off their tucker and we were ripe for the picking. need to have some luck with injuries from here and if that happens and we can add steele to this side and some players like Billings can pull their finger out and we can find the instructions on how to use King then who knows what can happen with this soft bunch of marshmallows.

I would like to hear an explanation for that performance from the coach. No BS excuses, no cliches, no weasel words, an actual EXPLANATION.
I think after being a supporter for over 50 years and a card carrying, paid up member for over 30 of those years, I'm owed one.
It was evident from the first bounce that Essendon were up and about and our players were not.
The final kick stats were even but the overall possession stats were 50 in their favour, that 50 being handballs. Sometimes a high handball count like that is a sign of a team overusing the ball (St Kilda anyone?) or having to handball out of pressure all the time, but in this game it was because the Essendon players ran all over the Saints, giving their team mates with the ball multiple forward and overlap handball options. And our blokes just loped around hoping for a turnover and an easy possession.
There is something seriously wrong with this group that when there is a game against a more fancied opponent in an otherwise normal game, they can lift and win, ie Geelong, Fremantle, but when there is a game they are overwhelmingly expected to win, they go missing. Add in the element of a themed game/round, Maddies Vision, Spuds Game, Good Friday etc and they soil their nappies. That is an indication of not being able to get themselves in the right head space.

Peter Wright going well, he was one being talked up as a possible pick #1 for us in that 2014 draft wasn't he? Could have had him or Petracca or Lever or Brayshaw or Weller. We took Petracca and didn't even keep him on the list though.

Yes my melts are getting wildly off topic, but that is what this club has driven me to.
I wish we did.

Well I suppose on some level these Spud Games are working by ensuring the Saints members and supporters know exactly what it’s like to be extremely depressed, totally lost and completely without hope 😢

Time for Patto to have a rest? 66% game time for 8 touches, 0 tackles, 22 metres gained.

Webster and Patto were both struggling. Massimo Drambuie playing his first game look 10 times better. Even Hind looked better than the lot put together.

IN

Leinert
Mckenzie
Owens
Sharman

Out

Howard - low I.Q and lazy
Clark - slow
Higgins - slow
Paton - needs to do more, no dash

More from tonight..

Gresham - short stumpy legs/tackled easily
Crouch - slow
Marshall can't run/carrying an injury
Jones slow
Ross average
Long has speed and goes missing
Butler ditto
Hill has it but has gone back to his worst self in recent weeks

The team can carry so many slow pokes before things break down. We couldn't use the centre corridor coming out of defence because we were getting owned.

tldr

Our list still needs work. We need more running power.

Yep battle was the only one who could hold his head up high

Gresham was the only thing that got us back into the game. He was a one man midfield and scored most of our goals. Scored as much as Snags and King combined.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what to say. Utterly deflating and unacceptable team performance. Absolutely stepping through the motions, less lateral movement that witches hats. This was as tough a watch as I've had in years. Completely lacking dare or hunger. Absolutely sleep walking. Membrey, Battle, Long, probably earn a pass. We will be butchered by sides in the coming weeks unless we mentally tune up. Confidence is shot it seems. Im just fuming and speechless. Sorry to vent everyone. I hate essendon filth.

Am I the only one that thinks Hunter Clark is far from the finished product?

His body shape doesn't seem to have changed at all since he came to the club. He shows sporadic flashes of brilliance then seems to go periods without influencing the contest at all. He's also a passenger when it comes to the defensive side of the game. I reckon I can count on one hand the amount of games where he's been consistent throughout 4 quarters.
No you’re spot on. His body shape is inexcusable for his years in the system. Look at Daicos’ rig in his first season.
1655470928945.jpeg

what to say. Utterly deflating and unacceptable team performance. Absolutely stepping through the motions, less lateral movement that witches hats. This was as tough a watch as I've had in years. Completely lacking dare or hunger. Absolutely sleep walking. Membrey, Battle, Long, probably earn a pass. We will be butchered by sides in the coming weeks unless we mentally tune up. Confidence is shot it seems. Im just fuming and speechless. Sorry to vent everyone. I hate essendon filth.
Yea mate it was fkd - not much else to say really

My main worry is that a lot of this group are just not afl finals standard players: Howard, Butler, Byrnes, Billings, Jones, Long from the current team at minimum.
I don't believe the players don't try or give their best. All of them likely it all out on the ground. Can't overcome a lack of talent unfortunately.

Gresham was the only thing that got us back into the game. He was a one man midfield and scored most of our goals. Scored as much as Snags and King combined.
The gap between his best and worst within the same game is too wide. Got caught lairising too often early in the game

Insipid and lazy. They expected it to just happen. Werent willing to bust a gut and it showed.
Real questions need to be asked about leadership out on field. Gresh tried but we need so much more.

Jones, Butler, Higgins, Howard. I'd rather play others in front of them after tonight.
Hell Membrey is skating on thin ice.
Marshall needs to be rested. Get his body right.
Hopefully Billings wants a trade at the end of the season.
Giving Clark a pass based on it being his first game back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 14, 2022: St.Kilda v Essendon *SPUD'S GAME*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back