Round 14: Geelong vs. West Coast

• Thread starter Fall Out Boy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

F

Fall Out Boy

Struggling to get back into the footy, after the week off, but looking forward to this game.

Eagles should be favourite, given the venue, but i'm confident we will put up a good showing.

Hopefully Haynes will have a day out against his former club. Have been fairly competitve against the perth sides over there the last few times. Hopefully our improved form this year will turn it into a win. I think west coast will sturggle to kick a winning score against our defence.

Last time the teams played, this was a draw in Geelong.

But since then, these teams have gone in opposite directions.

Nonetheless, I see this as our best chance to break our interstate win drought-- we're on fantastic form at the moment, the week off notwithstanding, and we seem to play close games at Subiaco Oval. And the Eagles haven't exactly been the unbeatable force there that they were last year.

According to this morning's media reports, we're due to get King, Enright and Riccardi back, and Sanderson looks set to play despite incurring a broken nose against the Lions (maybe he'll wear a protective mask?).

Note the start time-- 6:30 pm Melbourne time live on Fox Footy for the pregame, with the opening centre bounce coming one hour later (at least that's what I've been able to gather from the AFL and Fox Footy sites).

In any event, it looks like Fox Footy has allotted four hours of coverage for this match, until 10:30 p.m.... very nice. :)

Originally posted by phatandphreaky
Eagles should be favourite, given the venue, but i'm confident we will put up a good showing.

Current odds at centrebet

WEST COAST 1.90

GEELONG 1.85

Geelong and West Coast have built up a good rivalry and I especially enjoy it when the cats are playing the Weagles. Don't let the fact that it's at Subiaco put you off. Neither team has really seemed to be able to establish a home ground advantage as I guess the grounds are pretty similar. Against West Coast at Subi, Geelong are 4-4, at KP Geelong are 8.5-7.5.

This will be a good test for Geelong. The momentum of the season has been interrupted by the mid-season break and there is always the possibility that the team might think it's done it all already after last rounds big win. Plus Geelong need to get an interstate victory on the board for psychological purposes.

The loss of Gardiner is hurting West Coast hard, but they'll be no pushovers. If geelong can get there frame of mind right, then they should record a small victory, otherwise the Eagles will run over the top of them.

I'm just wrapped that the mid-season break is over (and that snore-fest from Sydney) and that footy is back. Cats by 11.

I'd take those odds on the Eagles.

Hopefully we drift out to $2+, if so, it'd be worth a bet.

Originally posted by benny's buddy
Anyone else feel a bit of deja vu?

I know, I said the same thing before we played away to Port Adelaide. But this is an even stronger chance to do so, and therefore I have an even stronger belief we can fly back to Victoria with a win.

Eventually, it has to happen, a win interstate can only help to fuel confidence for a finals campaign.

Cats by 28 points for me.

I feel that Geelong has a very good chance of breaking their poor interstate record.

West coasts lack of forward options will see them struggle to kick a decent score. As long as we cut down the run and drive from their midfield I think we can get over the line.

Geelong by 15 points

Originally posted by Rodion
Geelong by 5 goals. Just can't see West Coast kicking a winning score against Geelong's defence.

If there is anything in WCE favour, it's that, like Geelong, it lacks a key forward. It has a range of even players who have different styles and I suspect will test the Geelong defence, who are used to dealing more with key-focused attacks.

I have a feeling that Phil Matera will have a field day against our defenders.

A fair few times we've been shown up by smallish goalkickers this year, probably due to the fact that we don't have any genuine small defenders.

Guys like Sanderson, Hunt, Rooke and co. do a good job, but none is able to go with tricky small forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by catattack
Rain and wind predicted.

We've had plenty of practice in those conditions over the last two games, so it will hold no problems for us.

I think we'll win and win comfortably (This scares me as I'm never confident except when we play Richmond and Melbourne) and the only thing that may be an issue is our mindset and how we come up after the week off, usually we are pretty sluggish for the first half of a game after the break, so I'm hoping we are raring to go and put in 4 quarters of sustained pressure, which would see us easy winners.

Our defence should handle their midget forward line and I also question their defence's ability to handle our forwards. KK usually has a good game against W.C, so lets hope he can boot 4 or 5 and Benny, Dessie and our smalls also chip in and if they did we would probably post a winning score.

I have a feeling that Phil Matera will have a field day against our defenders.

A fair few times we've been shown up by smallish goalkickers this year, probably due to the fact that we don't have any genuine small defenders.

Guys like Sanderson, Hunt, Rooke and co. do a good job, but none is able to go with tricky small forwards.

Agreed. Aaron Davey tore us up, and even against the bulldogs Matthew Robbins was too elusive for Sanderson. Have to keep an eye on Sampi as well.

King, Riccardi fit to play
4:17:50 PM Wed 30 June, 2004
Samantha Lane
Sportal
148962aw.jpg

Geelong will launch into the second half of the season at almost full strength, after captain Steven King and veteran Peter Riccardi were declared fit ahead of the round 14 clash with the West Coast Eagles.

Vying for a position in the top four, the Cats will this week be missing only Corey Enright, who injured his shoulder in round 12, from their best 22.

King, the club's chief big man, has overcome a chronic Achilles injury, but missed the two games before the bye with hamstring tightness. Both he and Riccardi, who damaged his shoulder in his 250th game in round 12, are available after profiting from the mid-season break.

"He'll play this week," Thompson said of King before the team trained at a wet Skilled Stadium on Wednesday.

"He's overcome his hamstring and we were precautionary against Brisbane, knowing that we desperately want him up and going and having a good run in for the rest of the season. We didn't want to take any risks."

Thompson said King was on the verge of being able to run out an entire match after being used in bursts in the matches before he injured his hamstring.

"He's played three or four, so he really did build up. And the game that he did hurt his hamstring, against the Bulldogs, he was in pretty good form."

"We don't want him just playing. We want him playing full games and we want him playing decent footy. That's what we require of our captain and we demand it."

Charlie Gardiner is also available after damaging a thigh during the Cats' inspired round 13 victory over the Brisbane Lions.

Thompson said the challenge for his side, which has won seven of its past eight encounters and sits fifth on the ladder, is to win interstate. Geelong has a poor recent travelling record, losing all but one of its past 14 matches on the road. It has lost narrowly to Sydney, Fremantle and Port Adelaide in away games this year.

"This group, as a group, haven't really performed well enough interstate because they haven't won games," Thompson said.

"If you want to become a good side, you've got to beat good opposition and you've got to play at all venues. The fact is it's a national competition and you've got to travel."

Another big test for the Catters.

I agree that Matera poses a big threat. Keeping him quiet will be the key.

I've got a funny feeling we are finally going to win one interstate.

Geelong by 26 points.

Hope u dont mind an eagle reply...

I think this will be a great game....hopefully rain will hold off and both teams can show their skills.
U guys are going great guns,but its a long way to Perth..... Your defence is great....Scarlett will kill Doogs and hopefully Matera fires for us or we will struggle.

I think (hope) we will get on top in the mid-field,and thereby kick enough for a winning score.

For me...Eagles by 7 points.

Quite welcome here, Fraka. :)

As for rain, we'd actually love plenty of it. We are a good wet weather side, and it certainly won't help the Eagles.

Quite welcome here, Fraka. :)

As for rain, we'd actually love plenty of it. We are a good wet weather side, and it certainly won't help the Eagles.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: NOT THE AKER CURSE:D :D :D :D

I reckon the wet weather will play into our hands. We beat the Kangas and Brisbane in scrappy conditions and they're tough sides. Also the wet won't help guys like Matera and Sampi.

Possible match ups ( Teams Pending)

Harley or sando (hunt?) on matera
Rooke on Sampi
Monica on Judd
Ling on Cousins
Scarlo on hansen or McDougal
Milburn to take the extra tall??
Mooney on cox

For me the key to the match will be shutting down Judd. I think that Monica will be the best option for him because of his pace and his ability to hurt WC on the rebound. He is also very versitle and will be able to go where ever judd goes.

Mooney on Cox would really work well for us. Mooney is in good form and works well round the ground. Cox wont have the pace to keep up with mooney so he can possiblu play a kick behind the play or sneeking up the ground. This would also let king play up forward stretching the W.C defence.

Rooke on Sampi could be intersting. Rookes defence hasnt been good of late and if he isnt careful Sampi may get away from him and turning the game on its head.

Overall i think our forwads are better then there defence and it will only be strengthend by a resting Mooney or King.

The midfeild is where the game will be won. if ling can hold cousins and Monica play accountable footy on Judd then i think we are ahead.

Our defence is rock solid and we have alot of options to play on their only damaging forward (Matera).

For me the Cats should win Comfortably given the conditions

Sunny - Cats by 15pts
Raing cats by 25 - 30pts

You guys are going great, but your away games have been ify. Although it will be a close game, i am confident that our strong running midfield will have too much in the tank in the last quater. Your guys got close to catching up with freo a few weeks back (who were very ordinary that game i must add), but again ran out of steam when a little extra was needed.

The wet weather forcast should suit our small forwards.

Eagles by 4-5 goals.

Good Luck!!... but not too much ;)

Originally posted by Eagles4Eva
You guys are going great, but your away games have been ify.

We have lost all three interstate games, however all three were very tight matches, against teams much better than West Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 14: Geelong vs. West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back