Autopsy Round 14: Hawks fall in a hole v Bombres

Remove this Banner Ad

HawthornFC coach Alastair Clarkson: "It looked like an Achilles at first, but our doctors assessed him & they don’t think it is. We’ll have to wait for a scan."

What evidence could you possibly have for that? He has talked glowingly in interviews about how going into the middle turned his last lesson at Port around for the better.

Lazy... Get real

The vast majority assumed he was only playing forward because Breust was injured, that certainly isn't the case. Either his game is lacking something critical, which is entirely possible, or he is just lazy.

Ok I will spell this out really clearly.
Hawthorns first half was rubbish. We played against a team that was still in Darwin tired and completely cooked and kicked 7.10. Anyone that tells me anything less is taking the mick.

Breust Hanrahan Worpel Gunston O’Brien all
missed absolute sitters directly in front from 30 metres or closer.

For us to play two rucks and watch us get completely owned around the clearances again was an embarrassment. Jon Ceglar this season is making Stratts look like Keith Greig when we are talking about form. For us to play a ruck who refuses to jump against smaller and less experienced rucks is a complete joke. I know Clarko is close friends with the Ceglar family but we need to find a replacement ASAP. He is done and I don’t care that we signed him for 3 years.

To watch Wingard mope around like the world owes him a favour is a joke. Get serious or GTFO.

To watch Liam shiels plod around all day for 9 touches is a joke.

To see Minchington get a game In the first place and then completely torch the ball by hand and foot coming through the middle is a complete joke.

To see our midfielders completely stuffed with no petrol left by half way through the third is a joke and something the club needs to address very quickly.

In a real sh.t year this pretty much sums it all up for me . We played like millionaires and missed absolute sitters that would have had the game completely done and shot by HT but stuffed it up again.
We play too few mids so have the same guys doing it all game.

Is it just me...but when Hawks are winning, the commentary team are happy to barrack for the other team and get quite excited when they do something well. Yet when we’re losing, they’re happy to bang on about how good winning team is going. Does my head in!!!
Not just you.
They also love to remain silent on anything that goes against hawthorn, but are fairly vocal whenever hawthorn get a free.

Clarkson needs to take responsibility though. At no point was Wingard put into the centre bounces, and he kept persisting with McEvoy in defence despite Ceglar getting smashed in the ruck.
Spot on, he did nothing in the coaches box, even letting McGrath run around without a tag when he was destroying us.

shiels literally ran around and did nothing, couldn't buy a kick, playing out of position, where is his future at?
Just maybe that's what the coach is working through since he was well protected in the Mitchel, Lewis, Hodge, Hill, Burg days....throw in Poppy and everyone else when we top of the tree.

Disappointing that he is incapable of being the midfield leader having had such greats to learn from for years. In a nutshell his future is at another club, imo.

I was going to say at half time we showed a bit except for Ceglar once again watching to see if the ruckman would hurt him from the first bounce but I still thought they could beat us. Then the electricity went out at half time.. so the computer went off. Perhaps that was a sign we were out too.

Do you get angry or just say this is everything we thought was wrong with the club and it came true? But because we knew this was already happening why get angry, perhaps it gets us an earlier draft pick... btw while I think Adelaide won't get a bonus draft pick based on one year the AFL said GC17 are very likely to get multiple compensation years.

Look Rutten took over, isolated our few runners, went man on man in the center bounces when BB was there and we were cactus, mind you we got ahead of ourselves and stopped the man on man at center bounces when Cegs was there and became the hunted and somewhat stupid.

The last half I felt sorry for BB, he tried his ass off above and beyond all of our players. His last quarter efforts outweighed Ceglar's entire career. If Clarko really wants to move towards a premiership again he needs to Capuano Ceglar... gotta be honest I once had him as our great white hope. He's just too soft to be allowed to play on the field anymore. (BTW I did notice too during the last minute or two he actually got hands on ball to give us a chance it's the other 100 minutes he doesn't that so worries me most games he does have a random one where you go why isn't he the best ruckman in the league?)

Other interesting things the confrontation between Clarko and Burns at 3/4 time? It wasn't pretty. It felt very much like Clarko was telling him to stick his pencil up his proverbial.

The good, early a lot of movement thru some kids when our midfield were competitive. Will Day as usual... as an interesting note did Essendon tell his forward to run away from the ball so he didn't see it after half time? Sure he got there at times but I did not see Essendon play one play thru Will Days' opponent in the second half.

We are where we are, we have a coach who has never been successful (one prelim in five years) restocking a team, but is highly successful rebuilding a team. But seems hellbent at restocking. Where does that leave us? Dunno, but he hasn't upped our draft pick after tonight so yeah. maybe he'll go back to his strengths.

For me our fundamental issues right now are non-competitive ruck (be honest No34 from Essendon beat us over the whole night) and the slowest midfield ever so once the opposition get the ball even with their shocking handball disposal early on they just walk past us when they began to hit a target, because our midfield accumulators are liabilities on the turnover cos they are too slow to keep up with anyone.

We are where we are, it ain't pretty but it is what it is.

All I want is a roadmap of where we are going, in 2005 I knew exactly where we were going because we had a coach with a plan, yes we didn't know if that plan would work but it was a big improvement on not having a plan and not knowing where we were going previously, in 2020 I feel exactly like I did in 2004 just waiting for a coach with a roadmap or plan.

Anyway hopefully we can tank the last 4 perhaps with AFL umpiring direction and not win another game again so we get the best pick we can get.

The vast majority assumed he was only playing forward because Breust was injured, that certainly isn't the case. Either his game is lacking something critical, which is entirely possible, or he is just lazy.

For better or worse, the coaches have wanted him forward this year. My theory has been that the coaches wanted to give O'Meara, Mitchell and Worpel as much time together as possible so they could learn to play together. It's also a group that isn't very versatile so rotations are limited. And it's been close to impossible for a forward to consistently impact games for Hawthorn this year (even though he was early in the year when we weren't crap). Chad's numbers are pretty similar to Breust's overall. Simple as that.

Gutted. Half time I wasn’t confident but I was happy. Bombers just got the momentum and their bloody supporters as always started chirping up again. Didn’t hear a peep in the first half. Terrible outcome, but kudos to the Hawks fans around me who stuck it out, didn’t blow a lid, and all encouraged my kid who was still cheering when the siren went. Everyone around me exhibited the “ride the bumps with a grin” and truly set a great example for my young lad. Moments like that make me proud to support this club, despite the rubbish we saw on the field
We've been spoilt over the last decade or so against the old enemy. For the most part the Bombers have been a rabble for quite a while

I still can't believe we lost this one but well done to your son for keeping the faith - this is a great club and it won't be too long before he's proud to be a Hawk supporter again

Your O’Brien hate is pretty tiresome, even if it is sometimes warranted.

If O’Brien was dropped, do you really think Lewis would really play any better?
Lewis's best is better than O'Brien's. Lewis maybe currently struggling but we know he is capable of more and in time he had the potential to be a Coleman medallist. I have high hopes for that, maybe you see Lewis as a 5% chance or less if that. But it Obrien has 0% chance. He's had 7 years, plenty of afl exposure and opportunities as the main target.

He will never start clunking them, he will always do what he did today and shank what should be a certain goal for someone if his kicking skills.

O'Brien is currently playing as good as he ever will. Lewis has shown he is better than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wingard has just shown over the last 4 or so years he is no longer suites to being a permanent forward. He played his best footy at port in his final year in the middle, and last year with us in the middle. Yet we persist with him struggling and being wasted up forward. So frustrating to watch.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ok I will spell this out really clearly.
Hawthorns first half was rubbish.
We played against a team that was still in Darwin tired and completely cooked and kicked 7.10. Anyone that tells me anything less is taking the mick.

Breust Hanrahan Worpel Gunston O’Brien all
missed absolute sitters directly in front from 30 metres or closer.

For us to play two rucks and watch us get completely owned around the clearances again was an embarrassment. Jon Ceglar this season is making Stratts look like Keith Greig when we are talking about form. For us to play a ruck who refuses to jump against smaller and less experienced rucks is a complete joke. I know Clarko is close friends with the Ceglar family but we need to find a replacement ASAP. He is done and I don’t care that we signed him for 3 years.

To watch Wingard mope around like the world owes him a favour is a joke. Get serious or GTFO.

To watch Liam shiels plod around all day for 9 touches is a joke.

To see Minchington get a game In the first place and then completely torch the ball by hand and foot coming through the middle is a complete joke.

To see our midfielders completely stuffed with no petrol left by half way through the third is a joke and something the club needs to address very quickly.

In a real sh.t year this pretty much sums it all up for me . We played like millionaires and missed absolute sitters that would have had the game completely done and shot by HT but stuffed it up again.
I’ll spell this out clearly, that is the biggest load of rubbish I have read in this thread. The rest of the post is ok.

I posted this after we lost to Melbourne in round 7. Had a few objectors, but can anyone tell me that we need to bring many of these guys back for season 2022?

“I’m not sure of their respective contract situations, but I have no problem with the following hanging up their boots come November:

Frawley
Burgoyne (one season too many unfortunately)
Henderson
Stratton
Puopolo
Scully
Smith

Inject more youth and start building the team to seriously challenge in 2023.“

Keep playing the kids, they will learn from today, and the last 4 games for The likes of Cousins, CJ, Day, etc. are far more important for their development than playing farewell games for the above.

I love Scrimshaw... Only positive thing i have in me at the moment
He has got some learning to do coughed up the handball in the middle rather than take the tackle and HTB to let the defence set up..

Clarkson needs to take responsibility though. At no point was Wingard put into the centre bounces, and he kept persisting with McEvoy in defence despite Ceglar getting smashed in the ruck.
Any chance he's seeing who works with who, who has what and doesn't have it, since the season is way over? Did Cousins show he maybe able to work with O'Mraera since nobody else seems able to? Our mids actually kicked goals in this game. Wonder who failed defensibly. Broken leg me me? Sheils?

Clarko now knows he cannot blame this on the young players. Valuable I would think, to finally see it's the older players who EVERYONE thought he could build around are letting the team down, not the kids.

Don't know if you've noticed but Clarko always takes responsibility. That is what a head coach does, when not collecting premiership medals.

I posted this after we lost to Melbourne in round 7. Had a few objectors, but can anyone tell me that we need to bring many of these guys back for season 2022?

“I’m not sure of their respective contract situations, but I have no problem with the following hanging up their boots come November:

Frawley
Burgoyne (one season too many unfortunately)
Henderson
Stratton
Puopolo
Scully
Smith

Inject more youth and start building the team to seriously challenge in 2023.“

Keep playing the kids, they will learn from today, and the last 4 games for The likes of Cousins, CJ, Day, etc. are far more important for their development than playing farewell games for the above.
Scully another year, so when everyone says Scully and Patton cost us nothing it’s bs. It’s cap space if it doesn’t work out, combine that with wingards 800k for 8 touches a game and all of a sudden your light on for space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 14: Hawks fall in a hole v Bombres

Remove this Banner Ad

Back