Autopsy Round 14: Hawks fall in a hole v Bombres

Remove this Banner Ad

I posted this after we lost to Melbourne in round 7. Had a few objectors, but can anyone tell me that we need to bring many of these guys back for season 2022?

“I’m not sure of their respective contract situations, but I have no problem with the following hanging up their boots come November:

Frawley
Burgoyne (one season too many unfortunately)
Henderson
Stratton
Puopolo
Scully
Smith

Inject more youth and start building the team to seriously challenge in 2023.“

Keep playing the kids, they will learn from today, and the last 4 games for The likes of Cousins, CJ, Day, etc. are far more important for their development than playing farewell games for the above.
Frawley (perhaps the most unfairly maligned player we have) and Smith should continue, you're right about the rest

I posted this after we lost to Melbourne in round 7. Had a few objectors, but can anyone tell me that we need to bring many of these guys back for season 2022?

“I’m not sure of their respective contract situations, but I have no problem with the following hanging up their boots come November:

Frawley
Henderson
Stratton
Puopolo
Scully
Smith

Keep playing the kids, they will learn from today, and the last 4 games for The likes of Cousins, CJ, Day, etc. are far more important for their development than playing farewell games for the above.

6 you have named will all be gone. I reckon I could easily name another 6 that will be gone. Scully from your list is the one who the club will probably keep around for another year.

Lists back to 35 is the chat, which means we will need to move on 8-12 players depending on who we trade in and how many picks we use in the draft.

Actually surprised that more posters aren't consoling themselves with this thought.

We weren't making finals.

I can see benefit in some of the younger blokes getting a real reality check in that second half.
Because., Melbourne.

Because Carlton

Because gold Coast (we sure as hell are never getting a priority pick)

Stkilda and Port Adelaide have gotten better not by 1 first round pick but by bending us over a barrel for trades.

The more you lose the more you lose.

Because., Melbourne.

Because Carlton

Because gold Coast (we sure as hell are never getting a priority pick)

Stkilda and Port Adelaide have gotten better not by 1 first round pick but by bending us over a barrel for trades.

The more you lose the more you lose.
We are none of those clubs.

Ok I will spell this out really clearly.
Hawthorns first half was rubbish. We played against a team that was still in Darwin tired and completely cooked and kicked 7.10. Anyone that tells me anything less is taking the mick.

Breust Hanrahan Worpel Gunston O’Brien all
missed absolute sitters directly in front from 30 metres or closer.

For us to play two rucks and watch us get completely owned around the clearances again was an embarrassment. Jon Ceglar this season is making Stratts look like Keith Greig when we are talking about form. For us to play a ruck who refuses to jump against smaller and less experienced rucks is a complete joke. I know Clarko is close friends with the Ceglar family but we need to find a replacement ASAP. He is done and I don’t care that we signed him for 3 years.

To watch Wingard mope around like the world owes him a favour is a joke. Get serious or GTFO.

To watch Liam shiels plod around all day for 9 touches is a joke.

To see Minchington get a game In the first place and then completely torch the ball by hand and foot coming through the middle is a complete joke.

To see our midfielders completely stuffed with no petrol left by half way through the third is a joke and something the club needs to address very quickly.

In a real sh.t year this pretty much sums it all up for me . We played like millionaires and missed absolute sitters that would have had the game completely done and shot by HT but stuffed it up again.
Pretty good summary of a classic shit show...

The only parts missing are clarko cracking it and a death stare Bolton's way

Wingard has just shown over the last 4 or so years he is no longer suites to being a permanent forward. He played his best footy at port in his final year in the middle, and last year with us in the middle. Yet we persist with him struggling and being wasted up forward. So frustrating to watch.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
The season is done. Prior to it being done done Breust broke his jaw and we had other issues and Wingard was kicking goals, in fact when we were winning he was why, up forward - now the season is done why put him in the middle? We know what he can do - we don't know what the right mix is with O'Mraera, Mitchel, Sheils, Worpel and a couple of youngsters yet.

Thanks, keep Wingard injury free up forward away from trouble and lets see who can actually play in the middle.

Just a idea................Seems the coach agrees.

Reminds me of the bad loss to the lions maybe in 95 which killed our season and Peter knights as coach. Knights was a legend as a player but inherited the end of an empire. We were ok in 94 then went down the toilet, with a rebound in 96, then a rebuild when it was clear the old stars had run their race. We recruited players like Minton-Connell and kappler, amongst others and traded away the pick which got Adam Goodes, unless I’m mistaken. Sound familiar?

So many players went missing today and there were so many lame arse chase and other efforts, but at the end of the day it’s on clarko who couldn’t stop the one way traffic. That was the worst loss I can recall. I’m wondering whether to renew the membership after 27 years. If the coach and players won’t play for the jumper then ffs. I think the spirit of this team is broken in a way we haven’t seen for a long time. I’ll cut em some covid slack I guess but jeez it’s heartbreaking.

I'm struggling to think of teams that invested in tanking and enjoyed the spoils of defeat vs those that built confidence via wins against the odds when things were tough

But I don't want to rule out the benefits of the former - are there a lot of examples of success immediately following when a team has flat out decided that the best way forward is to lose?

Frawley
Henderson
Stratton
Puopolo
Scully
Smith

Surely Frawley is a lock.

If we are going to maximise the foot skills of Scrimeshaw/Day/Hartley etc we will need a stopper to release those guys.

If we move him on we are just going to have to get another one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree with you
This game should’ve been put to bed
The set shot misses were deplorable
It was early, it was Gunston but I was seething when he tried to kick across his body 25m in front on almost no angle. What the hell is that about? Opening up the angle? There was none. It’s either arrogance, laziness or couldnt care less but in my mind it set the scene - no killer instinct. I’m not surprised the other set shots were missed. A coach should’ve dragged him for that. Imagine Yabby Jeans putting up with that?

although I did get a Giggle from this post don’t believe it. Bombers were putrid in the first half and still in Darwin. They are a long time enemy and were potential road kill for us yet we couldn’t keep the car straight enough to get the job done.

Clarko was not a man in tank mode.
He's a good actor

One issue we have compared to all the tops sides at the moment is a lack of "destructive midfielder"
Out of our list, who could destroy the opposition as a one way runner?
At a stretch, Wingard in his prime.

A real big issue with our team/list and shows how far behind we are in terms of structure and current game style.

It was early, it was Gunston but I was seething when he tried to kick across his body 25m in front on almost no angle. What the hell is that about? Opening up the angle? There was none. It’s either arrogance, laziness or couldnt care less but in my mind it set the scene - no killer instinct. I’m not surprised the other set shots were missed. A coach should’ve dragged him for that. Imagine Yabby Jeans putting up with that?

Very astute post. That was really poor from one of our leaders early in a game.

Actually surprised that more posters aren't consoling themselves with this thought.

We weren't making finals.

I can see benefit in some of the younger blokes getting a real reality check in that second half.

I've probably been the biggest proponent of "play the kid" and that losing will end up being most beneficial. But trying to remove all emotion works for only so long... Especially when you tune in exclusively to the second half.

Last edited:
We are none of those clubs.
We are none of those clubs because we try to win every week and value winning and developing a culture of winning, a game plan that wins and players that win.

If we throw games or are complacent or happy with a bottom 4 pick and the player it brings the 45 players already on the list become losers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 14: Hawks fall in a hole v Bombres

Remove this Banner Ad

Back