Autopsy Round 14: Hawks fall in a hole v Bombres

Remove this Banner Ad

• Ceglar as the number one ruck
• McEvoy in defence
• Wingard as a permanent small forward
• Stratton as captain

Absolutely terrible decisions that can be seen from a mile way.
Dude, none of those things make us win today.

Firstly, McEvoy was BOG in the first half, and we may not have been as far up without his rebounding presence. Cegs I thought didn’t do so bad. He’s not why we lost. He actually won the hit outs and was one of the few in the last who gave us any sort of endeavour. I’m not his biggest fan, and hope we can move him on, but blaming what happened on him is insane.

Thirdly, Wingard doesn’t want to play in the middle. It was an issue at Port and it’s clearly an issue now at hawthorn.

Finally the players voted for Stratton captain, as they do every captain. Not Clarko.

He doesn’t want to play there mate, and doesn’t have the tank. He’s checked out. If the rumour that he’s leaving is true, it would be make a lot sense.
Verify any of this with fact or quit posting it.

There was an interesting piece on the ABC website a couple of weeks ago where they had 5-6 mins of Worpel and Mitchell analysing his game (it was the Sydney match). At one point, Worpel said that was the first game all season where he said he was buggered at the end of the match...

That's alarm bells for me. One, the fact a key mid hasn't been buggered at the end of every match worries me. Secondly, Mitchell didn't really pick up on it. Why not? (He may have done behind closed doors).

There's a school of thought that Mitchell is one of footy's sharpest minds. Well, why is the midfield so poor? It's not all down to cattle.

Not sure I really buy into the rhetoric that Mitchell’s a poor midfield coach.

I think Mitchell’s strength is refining players games. Case in point West Coast 2017/18. If you’d listened to how glowingly some of those players talk about Sam Mitchell (particularly Redden and Schoefield) I think it’s hard to point that finger so soon.

I think he may be having a more difficult time with Tom Mitchell and Jaegar O’Meara though in comparison.

There was an interesting piece on the ABC website a couple of weeks ago where they had 5-6 mins of Worpel and Mitchell analysing his game (it was the Sydney match). At one point, Worpel said that was the first game all season where he said he was buggered at the end of the match...

That's alarm bells for me. One, the fact a key mid hasn't been buggered at the end of every match worries me. Secondly, Mitchell didn't really pick up on it. Why not? (He may have done behind closed doors).

There's a school of thought that Mitchell is one of footy's sharpest minds. Well, why is the midfield so poor? It's not all down to cattle.
You only saw what the club wanted you to see. Think about it that way.

But I don't want to rule out the benefits of the former - are there a lot of examples of success immediately following when a team has flat out decided that the best way forward is to lose?

Pies in 2004/2005 is probably the best example. Finish second in 2003, then bottom 4 in 04/05 , including second last and priority pick in 2005. Added Pendles and Thomas that year, jump back up to 5th in 2006, and a flag 4 years later. Looked liked a successful tank to me. The trick is probably not tanking for years like Carlton and Melbourne did. Culture can probably handle consistently losing for a couple of years, but not much more than that.

Dude, none of those things make us win today.

Firstly, McEvoy was BOG in the first half, and we may not have been as far up without his rebounding presence. Cegs I thought didn’t do so bad. He’s not why we lost. He actually won the hit outs and was one of the few in the last who gave us any sort of endeavour. I’m not his biggest fan, and hope we can move him on, but blaming what happened on him is insane.

Thirdly, Wingard doesn’t want to play in the middle. It was an issue at Port and it’s clearly an issue now at hawthorn.

Finally the players voted for Stratton captain, as they do every captain. Not Clarko.

Wingard DOES want to play in the middle. That was the problem at Port. You have it completely backwards. Every Port supporter would (and they already have) attest to that.

Verify any of this with fact or quit posting it.
Wingard DOES want to play in the middle. That was the problem at Port. You have it completely backwards. Every Port supporter would (and they already have) attest to that.
Hmm I’ve heard completely differently.
He playing well on the mid is 100% everything we need, at least in patches throughout games. There’s surely reason why he’s not.

Wasn’t the issue at Port that he did want to play in middle and not be stuck up forward?

Which would be more in line with him looking disinterested now if we’re still doing the same thing and boxing him in the forward line.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn’t the issue at Port that he did want to play in middle and not be stuck up forward?

Which would be more in line with him looking disinterested now if we’re still doing the same thing and boxing him in the forward line.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If he’s disinterested / having a sook because as he’s not in midfield we should ship him out.

At hawthorn you play wherever the team/coach needs you. I can’t imagine we wouldn’t have made this clear to him or made promises we aren’t keeping

Luke hodge would have probably preferred to play midfield but we turned him into a utility. We turned Jordan Lewis into a wing and runner, etc etc BB is playing FB FFS.

You only saw what the club wanted you to see. Think about it that way.
That's a fair point, and I'm well aware what goes out from the club passes the Pravda test.

It still doesn't answer why he was never buggered after a match until round 8...

Not sure I really buy into the rhetoric that Mitchell’s a poor midfield coach.

I think Mitchell’s strength is refining players games. Case in point West Coast 2017/18. If you’d listened to how glowingly some of those players talk about Sam Mitchell (particularly Redden and Schoefield) I think it’s hard to point that finger so soon.

I think he may be having a more difficult time with Tom Mitchell and Jaegar O’Meara though in comparison.
That may be the case (refining players' games), but his job is to get the midfield unit functioning. And it isn't functioning.

It’s harsh to hang the forwards and defenders when our midfield lost us the game in the 3rd quarter. No team would survive that type of onslaught except for Eagles and Tigers.
Nothing harsh about what I said except for Ceglar who deserved it. Shiels is a mid. Minch had a run through mid also, but I cut him slack if anything. Hardwick has been struggling for weeks and not just this game. Pattton comment wasn’t form based.

Although agree the mids lost us the game in the 3rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 14: Hawks fall in a hole v Bombres

Remove this Banner Ad

Back