Autopsy Round 14: Hawks fall in a hole v Bombres

Remove this Banner Ad

Hahahaha

Open your eyes and take advantage of the system, or continue to wallow in mediocrity

Open your ears and listen to our club song "we love our club and we play to win"

It's not; "we love our club and we play to take advantage of a shoddy drafting system that rewards mediocrity"

as ive said before i dont want to make excuses for what was an awful display in the second half but it was pretty obvious that it was a 'let's just leave things as they are and see what x player can show' type game

there were so many changes we could've made past half time to try and stop the bleeding

wingard mid
shiels tag
breust mid
tob defence
mcevoy ruck
ceglar FF

etc etc. and we know that in games where our season has been 'alive' Clarko has done this. by no means do i think he's trying to lose us games but more that he isn't pulling stop-gaps to try and make us win games that you would do when you have a chance at finals — an analogy many posters use is 'papering over the cracks' and to make said changes is only useful if you need the win, which we obviously don't

i honestly think we learn more maintaining the setup that completely folded than if we were to use 30-year-old blokes (or if burgers was playing, 50-year-olds) as our match-winners and win by a couple of goals. whether we win or lose that game makes absolutely no difference to the obvious fact that we crumble under pressure and finding out who out of our up and comers can perform is important going fwd

shattered we lost and pretty unhappy with the performance of a fair few senior players but i understand the rationale for the lack of 'game-saving' changes. i just hope that this theory is proved consistent as we go forward and continue to trial new blokes over those that didn't perform otherwise it was kinda for nothing

Mitch Thorp and Beau Dowler were crackers. There is no guarantees. You don't play to lose, ever. Especially not for a slightly better ticket in the lucky dip than we already have.
This logic:

“Beau Dowled didn’t work out from 15 years ago! We don’t want another Pick 6 in a draft!”

It's hard to tell if we were tanking or not.

The Clarko outburst at Burns suggests it wasn't.
But the horribly bad team selections combined with the tactical farce in the second half and unwillingness to change anything suggests it was.

It's hard to tell if we were tanking or not.

The Clarko outburst at Burns suggests it wasn't.
But the horribly bad team selections combined with the tactical farce in the second half and unwillingness to change anything suggests it was.
You can have a system and a setup you want to see and still be tanking, just so you know.

I don’t mind exploring what the young or at risk of delisting can bring, Seems sensible and overdue given where we are at, but play to win means every game I would have thought, every moment, every contest. Otherwise what are we teaching these young blokes?!

This logic:

“Beau Dowled didn’t work out from 15 years ago! We don’t want another Pick 6 in a draft!”

This logic:

No, but nice attempt at straw-manning.

Edit 1: I reworded and edited that initial post, it appears you got in first. Same point made a different way.

You can have a system and a setup you want to see and still be tanking, just so you know.
Considering he's rarely, if ever, lost his shit at a line coach on the ground when we weren't tanking, it makes no logical sense to do it when your desired result is a loss and you were on the verge of losing when he did it. Plus there's also the loyalist's fact that he's never tanked, just so you know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a mate who did his achilles playing world football who actually turned around and blamed the opposition defending him for sticking the foot in. To me watching, it felt like Jon turned around looking for someone close to him who might have done the same. If it's a calf it truly is best possible news.
Had a friend who described doing his achilles as feeling like someone booted him in the ankle. He was playing sport at the time and turned to his opponent and they were four metres off but looking at him cause of the noise that came from his lower leg.

Who cares how much we were up by at half time? What was the end result? It was a 50 point turn around.

This is the same plan that, since 2016 has seen us finish outside of the finals twice (third time pending) and a straight-sets exit.

Who picked the ruckman? Who relegated our one good ruckman to play elsewhere? I didn't. Did you? Or did the coach?
So u reckon Mcevoy playing fullback was the reason we lost the game. Listen to ureself mate. If u think about what u've written surely u will come around our midfielders literally went home at half time. Mcevoy played full back in the first half we were winning with us getting some ball we were still getting beaten in there but not the ass whipping like the second half. I have maintained since 2016. Since mitchell left and lewis we need midfielders. It is the weakest part of the ground for us everything else flows from there

Such overreactions and some pretty disrespectful comments regarding Clarkson. No one is above criticism but suggesting he's lost it is cringe worthy. I'm sure Barry Hawksfan from big footy knows more about the game than one of the best coaches to have ever coached. People getting worried about a losing culture and doing a Melbourne/Carlton need to get a grip. We cultivate premierships, it is the fabric of our club. We just need to accept that the cattle we have out there at the moment aren't great, observe some patience and trust that Clarkson is doing everything he can. And be grateful for the fact that you support the club that unless you're under 6, is the most successful in your lifetime.

I know the players would be hurting out of this more than anyone else, but my god was it hard to watch at times.
Ceglar was so promising until he did his ACL, hasn't been able to find that form since and you can see the panic in his face everytime he makes a mistake. Would love to see him focus on his tap craft, because at the minute the fact that he's getting toweled up by players like Phillips (or however it's spelt) and that's not a good sign.

Hanrahan is worth persisting with- someone described his development as being similar to that of Punky and I'm seeing that more and more.
Lewis comes in for patton almost certainly- considering he's young and down on form i hope he can use the rest of the year to find form.

Cj, Scrimshaw, Cousins, Howe all looked solid I thought- keep them all in! I think Day needs a rest.

Just watched a replay.
Hanrahan took a couple of short steps in the middle with the game on the line 2 mins to go. Haven’t seen that in a while from a Hawthorn player.
You can see why Hartley couldn’t get a game at Essendon. Lack toughness. Would prefer him at half back rather than on the goal line.
CJ has so much to learn about footy. like Nash, you either play him every week or delist him.
Scrimshaw is a brilliant Mark, but poor decision maker. Lacks confidence.
Minch. Struggles to contribute. Pass.
Glass. Another poor decision maker. Loves to handball into trouble, and kicks straight but often too long or short
Wingard disappointing yet again.
Gunston is really trying hard.
McEvoy was pretty good down back.
Cousins, Worps good again.
Shiels’ career is on a Similar trajectory to Stratts.
Most of the other guys played to their usual level.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 14: Hawks fall in a hole v Bombres

Remove this Banner Ad

Back