Preview Round 15, 2018 - Fremantle vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a listen to the bye week Roar Deal podcast. David Noble was on it, and gave a great insight into the club's look at our forward line.

To sum up (from memory, and a couple of weeks later, so don't hold me to it):
- Having the three-tall forward line is straightening us up and helping us retain structure well
- Oscar's clunking a couple, but he's good at bringing it to ground, and that's a win for us. Overall, the things we're measuring that aren't always frontline stats, Oscar's excelling at.
- With Big O, our forward 50 pressure is actually increased (compared to an extra small), and his defensive work is highly rated by the club
- Having someone as tall is Oscar in the forward line is creating some mismatches when it comes to defensive players. Depending on who the KPDs are, they might have to send their best defender to Oscar just because of his height, which would have the potential to give someone like Hippy a shot at the 2nd defender, instead of the first. So it's creating synergies across the forward line. I think he said this exact thing happened in the Dogs match (or maybe the North match? I can't remember).
- Very good second ruck, offers a different dimension compared to Stef.

I felt like Oscar's contribution hasn't been as significant the last couple of games, and I'm wondering to what extent he's suffering (or even the 3-tall setup is suffering) from the lack of Charlie's defensive speed and offensive crumbing.

I felt like Oscar's contribution hasn't been as significant the last couple of games, and I'm wondering to what extent he's suffering (or even the 3-tall setup is suffering) from the lack of Charlie's defensive speed and offensive crumbing.
The evidence was there for all to see in the game against GWS. They run it out of there far too often and far too easily, forward pressure has dropped off dramatically of late.
The defensive line actually held up really well without Harris and without Gardiner for a bit.
But the forward and midfield pressure was basically non-existent.
It doesn’t all come down to O’Mac though.
This weekend with Freo, with the narrower ground and their style of play, they will have to go through us rather than around us like GWS did. Hopefully that may work in our favour.

I really can't recall Cameron crumbing or applying that much forward pressure before his injury. He was up the field a lot.

The evidence was there for all to see in the game against GWS. They run it out of there far too often and far too easily, forward pressure has dropped off dramatically of late.
The defensive line actually held up really well without Harris and without Gardiner for a bit.
But the forward and midfield pressure was basically non-existent.
It doesn’t all come down to O’Mac though.
This weekend with Freo, with the narrower ground and their style of play, they will have to go through us rather than around us like GWS did. Hopefully that may work in our favour.
I don't think the new ground is any narrower D, IIRC the dimensions are very similar to the MCG.

I'm against the 3 talls up front as well, I like the 2 tall then a fleet of small to medium players that can harass and tackle.

The 2 home teams seem to like a tall forward setup

I don't think the new ground is any narrower D, IIRC the dimensions are very similar to the MCG.

I'm against the 3 talls up front as well, I like the 2 tall then a fleet of small to medium players that can harass and tackle.
5m longer and 11m narrower. closeish!
I haven’t really watched a lot of games at the new stadium but I would tend to think that teams would want to play a bit more direct. Hence the taller set up for both local teams as Jackess pointed out.
I think it might suit us. Because we tend to play that way anyway.

5m longer and 11m narrower. closeish!
I haven’t really watched a lot of games at the new stadium but I would tend to think that teams would want to play a bit more direct. Hence the taller set up for both local teams as Jackess pointed out.
I think it might suit us. Because we tend to play that way anyway.
Yer, I got that one wrong, IDNRC:shoutyoldman:, that's narrower than I thought it was, I was under the impression that they were making it similar to the MCG to help with big end of season finals.

Yer, I got that one wrong, IDNRC:shoutyoldman:, that's narrower than I thought it was, I was under the impression that they were making it similar to the MCG to help with big end of season finals.
I also think they wanted to keep a bit of home team advantage coming from Subiaco.

I like the idea of a smaller forward setup but the small forwards we have just aren't dangerous enough without Cameron.

Bundy, Zorko and Beams can chip in but we don't have anyone else that looks any more threatening than McInerney.

Have a listen to the bye week Roar Deal podcast. David Noble was on it, and gave a great insight into the club's look at our forward line.

To sum up (from memory, and a couple of weeks later, so don't hold me to it):
- Having the three-tall forward line is straightening us up and helping us retain structure well
- Oscar's clunking a couple, but he's good at bringing it to ground, and that's a win for us. Overall, the things we're measuring that aren't always frontline stats, Oscar's excelling at.
- With Big O, our forward 50 pressure is actually increased (compared to an extra small), and his defensive work is highly rated by the club
- Having someone as tall is Oscar in the forward line is creating some mismatches when it comes to defensive players. Depending on who the KPDs are, they might have to send their best defender to Oscar just because of his height, which would have the potential to give someone like Hippy a shot at the 2nd defender, instead of the first. So it's creating synergies across the forward line. I think he said this exact thing happened in the Dogs match (or maybe the North match? I can't remember).
- Very good second ruck, offers a different dimension compared to Stef.
Not sure I agree on the bringing it to ground part, he doesn't get to enough contests and seems to be in the wrong place a lot.

I reckon the GWS game showed that reshuffling the forward structure to two talls made it harder to create forward pressure.

Dunno how CBeams was overlooked for the extended bench

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oh I know the answer to this one.

It's because he's a terrible AFL player who has proven time and time again that he can't even come close to cutting it at the level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's because he's a terrible AFL player who has proven time and time again that he can't even come close to cutting it at the level.
If not cut down by injury from very early on in his career - I think he would have made a very good AFL player.

I like the idea of a smaller forward setup but the small forwards we have just aren't dangerous enough without Cameron.

Bundy, Zorko and Beams can chip in but we don't have anyone else that looks any more threatening than McInerney.

This is a very good point If Charlie was available, or if Bastinac had kicked five two weeks in a row in the Twos, then McInerney would probably go

Geez there's some complete shite posted on here by supposed club supporters! Clay Beams may not be able to quite cut it in the 1's...but to call him a "terrible AFL player" is keyboard warrior crap!

Love to hear about your esteemed footy career!

Geez there's some complete shite posted on here by supposed club supporters! Clay Beams may not be able to quite cut it in the 1's...but to call him a "terrible AFL player" is keyboard warrior crap!

Love to hear about your esteemed footy career!

Hahaha that classic "how many games of AFL have you played.

He is a terrible AFL player, you just said it yourself when you said he can't cut it in the ones. I didn't say he was a terrible Aussie rules player. Pick the difference big fella

Barrett in. If we're playing him as a pressure forward that isn't a bad choice imo. Will add more defensively than Bastinac but less offense.

I was thinking that this morning. Replaces Bailey's forward pressure. Not the worse selection. Thought Bastinac might've played a similar role to what Mayes has over the past 2 weeks.

I'm a bit surprised that Jake Barrett is an in, he doesn't do a hell of a lot for me, solid footballer but certainly doesn't put much fear into defenders coming out of the D50, another one of our above NEAFL and below AFL standard players IMO.

Great to see Mitch Hinge named as an emergency (first time?), all the emergencies usually travel to Perth don't they?

I'm a bit surprised that Jake Barrett is an in, he doesn't do a hell of a lot for me, solid footballer but certainly doesn't put much fear into defenders coming out of the D50, another one of our above NEAFL and below AFL standard players IMO.

Great to see Mitch Hinge named as an emergency (first time?), all the emergencies usually travel to Perth don't they?

I think Jake is AFL quality but at a depth level, similar to a Lester, Bewick etc. Is a role player who may not have a lot of ability, but can do the team things week in week out.

I think Jake is AFL quality but at a depth level, similar to a Lester, Bewick etc. Is a role player who may not have a lot of ability, but can do the team things week in week out.
We need less ‘AFL quality’ players and more ‘Quality AFL’ players. Me thinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back