Preview Round 15, 2023: St.Kilda v Brisbane - Marvel Stadium, Friday 23rd June, 7:50PM AEST *SPUD'S GAME* *CROUCH 150TH* *MARSHALL 100TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • Lions

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cooked
King hammer Hayes pou

As I was looking at the jumper the Mrs quietly informed me the long sleeve was 300 bucks

What the hell?

I'd want it made out of baby seal's eyelashes for that money.

McLennan joined in general training. Looks a goer, doesn’t hold back.
Love the look of him. Another Wilkie.

In the trainings I went to when he was healthy and the games he played last year he was an absolute rock in defence in the VFL, Dragons and at training. Just a solid player who doesn't lose one on ones. Wouldn't surprise me if he just finds a way to make it.

Last edited:
I only look at the ladder position..if we are higher on the ladder on the end of the season, the Lyon wins, but if it fizzles out then I would say Basset did his dough.
If it was only that easy

I went to my 1st full training session today for along time and the difference between now and the Ratts era is light years apart

We are a professional footy club with our training standards now compared to the rubbish i use to see

If it was only that easy

I went to my 1st full training session today for along time and the difference between now and the Ratts era is light years apart

We are a professional footy club with our training standards now compared to the rubbish i use to see
Much like your posting, Muscles.

over the pre season there was an over supply of claims regarding Ross getting the best out players.

Serious question:

At the halfway mark who would we say has improved as a direct result of RLs coaching?
Nas
Owens
Wilkie
Sinclair
Crouch
Battle
Wood
Butler
Clark
Byrnes

All having career best years.

Don't think anyone could argue with the above names

Could also probably add Higgins and Crouch to the list also.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Everyone makes the criticism about forward entries.

No one ever suggests a plausible alternative. It's usually just cliche. Lowering your eyes just means you see the intercepting defender before you kick it to them.
What ever happened to leading forwards? Higgo does it occasionally. I see it a bit in other teams.

I think our forward line set up is a work in progress. I hope we can organise it better over the next few weeks.

Max is too versatile to be a stay at home forward. He's good below his knees and a good field kick. Max will never have the tank of Rooey but he should be given the licence to roam anywhere forward of centre.

If he's up the ground then we should utilise the space and let our small forwards go to work.

If the opposition defence is set and Max is manned up deep then our mids should lower their eyes and hit up the likes of Owens, Pou and Woods.

I really like the versatility of our forward line but think we just haven't got the system in place yet. If we get it organised properly we should be looking at 12 goals minimum every week.

RTB obviously has a defence focus. I just hope we can swing it around a bit for the rest of the year. I think for us to play finals it probably depends on it.

Of course our midfield group has a bit to say in all of that.

What ever happened to leading forwards? Higgo does it occasionally. I see it a bit in other teams.

They lead but the zone defences make it pretty hard to find a hole. Caminiti particularly moves around a lot and we tend to mill around a lot with guys like Owens leading to very particular spots on the ground. I think Richmond seemed to know where he was going to go this time.

Cordy was absolutely just a body on the ground but what he did do well was lead very tight into a spot down deep on the boundary and if anyone didn't follow him and make a hole behind them he'd get a kick on goal from it. He was a decoy but it seemed to stretch defences out very wide.

We probably need to get back to a more selfless forward structure but when you have a guy like King who can kick 5 goals in a canter it's hard to ignore. Also need out mids firing so that delivery improves. Sinclair sets up a lot through clean kicking. Funny enough Byrnes often does some of the better hit up kicks in the forward 50 despite being a pretty ordinary kick.

I think our forward line set up is a work in progress. I hope we can organise it better over the next few weeks.

Max is too versatile to be a stay at home forward. He's good below his knees and a good field kick. Max will never have the tank of Rooey but he should be given the licence to roam anywhere forward of centre.

If he's up the ground then we should utilise the space and let our small forwards go to work.

If the opposition defence is set and Max is manned up deep then our mids should lower their eyes and hit up the likes of Owens, Pou and Woods.

I really like the versatility of our forward line but think we just haven't got the system in place yet. If we get it organised properly we should be looking at 12 goals minimum every week.

RTB obviously has a defence focus. I just hope we can swing it around a bit for the rest of the year. I think for us to play finals it probably depends on it.

Of course our midfield group has a bit to say in all of that.

Not much you can fault King on at the moment. Since coming back he's kicked 13 goals in 4 games and against the Tigers he was always going to struggle once the rain came.

If defences get too focussed on him he should free up the others to get decent looks at the goal. He's definitely running around more this season. He is taking marks out on the lead rather than sitting in the hole waiting to get smashed.

Not much you can fault King on at the moment. Since coming back he's kicked 13 goals in 4 games and against the Tigers he was always going to struggle once the rain came.

If defences get too focussed on him he should free up the others to get decent looks at the goal. He's definitely running around more this season. He is taking marks out on the lead rather than sitting in the hole waiting to get smashed.
The problem isn't the defense focusing on King, it's our F50 entries. Need to look for Hammer a few times to throw them off. He can still clunk them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nas
Owens
Wilkie
Sinclair
Crouch
Battle
Wood
Butler
Clark
Byrnes

All having career best years.

Don't think anyone could argue with the above names

Could also probably add Higgins and Crouch to the list also.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Battle had a better 2020 than this year but not by much, could still have a better year as it only half way through.
I wouldn't argue with Butler, Brynes or Wood. The others are debatable, natural progression (ie. Nas and Owens) or we didn't notice how go they are (ie. Crouch)

If it was only that easy

Also been to both eras - spot on - light years ahead!

Every opportunity with the coaches, facilities & training regime for the players to improve but they need to want to do the work. Also query whether some just aren’t up to it? Both types likely to be moved on at the end of the season.

Last edited:

Agree with that. I like our forward structure with King as the go to option, Butler, Higgins and Gresh as the smalls and Owens, Pou and Wood as the mid size options. It gives us great versatility. I just don't think we've worked it out fully yet. Hopefully it will come soon as we can be really dangerous if it does. Not just reliant on a defence first policy.

If it was only that easy

I do remember everyone going on about how good we looked at training early last season, and it was the fittest they had see the Saints for a while, but whatever works is fine by me, as long as we improve on last season's position no the ladder, the rest is bulldu$t

I do remember everyone going on about how good we looked at training early last season, and it was the fittest they had see the Saints for a while, but whatever works is fine by me, as long as we improve on last season's position no the ladder, the rest is bulldu$t

I'm the opposite, I want improvement not ladder position. I'm a Lyon fan but I'm not sure he's getting the best out of the side at the moment. We have ironed out the bad but also some of the good and I was hoping that we'd see the second half of the season as the point that his systems really bedded in like they did at Freo in his first year.

The ladder is a false reading, an easy fixture, hitting sides at the right time etc all fluctuate and can make the results look better than they are.

I don't feel confident that our list is better than other sides in our pool and I'm getting the vibe that we are still up for a lot of list building before we are in challenge mode. Still hopeful that I'm wrong but feeling less confidence than 5 weeks ago. Injury has held us back so it's hard to read though.

RTB mentioned in his presser yesterday about the team maybe being too emotionally invested in these types of matches in the past. He referred to the preparation for the 150th celebration as well. Hoping this week has been handled in a similar fashion. Let others worry about all the lead up stuff. Best way the players can honour spud is 4 qrt effort tomorrow night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back