Autopsy Round 15, 2023: St.Kilda v Brisbane *SPUD'S GAME* *CROUCH 150TH* *MARSHALL 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Really hope we persevere with Coff - good size & skills, was looking terrific preseason and is versatile. Got to be patient coming back from an ACL.

If we let him go & he is picked up reckon we will regret it big time (Joel Smith anyone?)

Or Nathan Freeman. He's going to go either way. He'll be mid 20s and only played about 50 games and nothing since 2021. We'd be best to persist because he's worth nothing but he's one injury ruined season off delisting after next year. Hunter Clark isn't far behind too. Ross Lyon delisted a lot of fragile bodied guys the first time.

I think was due to Brisbane working very hard & getting numbers back, and if so credit to them, but we felt soooo predictable and slow last night. Just because King is back doesn't mean you need to lob it on his head everytime and expect a miracle. He is so much more damaging one on one rather then trying to mark amongst 5/6 other players in a pack.

Butler shirked the issue multiple times last night, as did Hill (as per usual). Noticing Butler would rather get rid of the ball to the saints detriment then cop the hit.

We should have got flogged last night, and we should have lost to Collingwood by alot more. We aren't anywhere near the top 4 teams, and if we do make finals its only because of how inconsistent the middle rung have been this year (Us, Freo, Geelong, Bulldogs, Essendon)

We sat up high, Butler was praised by some on here but did a few really poor efforts coving a player, he runs off front-running to get ahead of the play and leaves his man exposed. King went down hard and again sulked and just stood around cracking the shits instead of chasing the ball when we had it locked in. I remember Lyon cracked it a couple of games back when he did the same thing. He needs to get himself off if he can't chase or be involved.

Gresham actually looked his best with his chase and defensive efforts but had a horrible game.

Brisbane did to us what we did to sides early in the year, they stifled our ball use and covered all options ahead of the ball. We were forced to kick to contests too often and couldn't get our transition running game going. They had to too going inside 50 but Hipwood and a few others were ripping marks out of the air in heavy traffic. We seemed to drop or fumble every one of ours and even some out in space.

Kane Cornes spot on about Owens here. Starts at 9 minutes

Yeah, for once I actually agree with Kane. Wtf is RTB doing continuing to put Owens in the ruck.
We talk about not letting our "Ferrari" in Max King take a few hit outs... Owens is our best flipping player at 19. I don't wanna see the kid get hurt.

Put Michito in the midfield and leave him there, none of this 2nd ruck bullsh*t.

Or Nathan Freeman. He's going to go either way. He'll be mid 20s and only played about 50 games and nothing since 2021. We'd be best to persist because he's worth nothing but he's one injury ruined season off delisting after next year. Hunter Clark isn't far behind too. Ross Lyon delisted a lot of fragile bodied guys the first time.
We could see some big changes to the list coming up.

Out of contract this year : Jones, Highmore, Campbell, Byrnes, Coffield, Wood, Stocker, Connolly, Webster, Gresham, Peris, Higgins, Bytel, Clark, McKenzie,

Out of contract next year : McLennan, Paton, Wilkie, Sharman, Butler, Howard, Keeler, Hayes, Sinclair, Van Es, Battle, Phillipou, Allison, Heath, Hotton, Ross, Membrey

I've bolded guys I reckon are pretty safe for a new contract which leaves 20 players I could see potentially leaving in the next couple of years. Not a heap of trade currency there though.

Remember that RTB was extremely sick for the game. I'm surprised he turned up. You would have to say that it could have affected his performance as it wasn't the best coached game I have seen from him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember that RTB was extremely sick for the game. I'm surprised he turned up. You would have to say that it could have affected his performance as it wasn't the best coached game I have seen from him.
Is Ross actually a particularly good match day coach? He’s a great coach from a preparation and strategy point of view but I honestly can’t think of many times he did anything in game to help turn the tide too much.

Is Ross actually a particularly good match day coach? He’s a great coach from a preparation and strategy point of view but I honestly can’t think of many times he did anything in game to help turn the tide too much.

I probably think of him as a "have a plan and trust the process" type of coach and he improbably telling them to stick to process more than swinging levers. That said I'm sure there are tweaks in match.

2010 GF

The Punter
Kicking into that 50 again mate was terrible
What the hell?
Watched one of our few fast transitions into there and king still had two on him and we still kicked it to him in a pack as he couldn’t or didn’t lead

Again, the intercept defender had 7 marks by the half

Hammer tried but he either ran under the footy or we kicked it over him early

I think we miss Membrey in this regard. I think he's better equipped to spread defenses compared to Caminiti at their respective stages of their careers. But I don't see any prospect of improvement on the horizon.

I'd think I'd just be happy for us to make new mistakes and fix old ones, rather than just never improve on what is obvious to all.

I'd say the whole 2010 final series was a Ross Lyon masterclass.

Finished third in the Home and Away season... completely different scenario to 2009, overcame a strong Geelong in a thriller.

The 2010 first GF was ours. Kosi into the ruck, Gilbert forward, Lenny second up in the ruck (AFL changed the rules to stop this from happening) and many more stuctural changes to stop a dominant Collingwood.

I'd say he is one of the best game day coaches I've seen. His preparation for game day is second to none, being a good game day coach isn't just the changes you make on game day.... it also includes everything up until that day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 15, 2023: St.Kilda v Brisbane *SPUD'S GAME* *CROUCH 150TH* *MARSHALL 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back