Preview Round 15, 2023: St.Kilda v Brisbane - Marvel Stadium, Friday 23rd June, 7:50PM AEST *SPUD'S GAME* *CROUCH 150TH* *MARSHALL 100TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • Lions

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
over the pre season there was an over supply of claims regarding Ross getting the best out players.

Serious question:

At the halfway mark who would we say has improved as a direct result of RLs coaching?

over the pre season there was an over supply of claims regarding Ross getting the best out players.

Serious question:

At the halfway mark who would we say has improved as a direct result of RLs coaching?
I only look at the ladder position..if we are higher on the ladder on the end of the season, the Lyon wins, but if it fizzles out then I would say Basset did his dough.

There's such a sense of deja vu about this game. It feels like we've been at this point so many times, a big game against a good opponent with the opportunity to really have a crack at finals. On top of that it's Spuds Game where we have gone to pieces the last two years, basically watching our season fall apart before our eyes.

Last week was so disappointing but it was Richmond at the G in the wet for Cotchins 300th. This is at our home ground, with our crowd, it's our night.

Everything points to a loss. For that reason it feels like an opportunity to start a new chapter and a really important game for the club. But we've been here so many times, it would be hard to find a confident Saints fan.

Also, on midfield depth:

• Clark, Jones, Billings and McKenzie all unavailable
  • Owens and Phillipou being played in other positions

Bingo, there's your depth. Owens struggled on Saturday night, he's 19 and now he has clubs putting work into him. But it seems an ideal night to throw him in the guts, and it didn't happen.
It's easy to overlook the impact of long term injuries. You only have to look at Geelong and Sydney to understand that. Last years Grand Finalists both outside the eight over half way through the season. Who would have predicted that?

Jones, McKenzie, Coffield, Hayes unsighted this year. Billings pretty much the same. Membrey not a factor yet. Max missed most of the first half and Steele could have and probably should've missed 10 weeks or so with his shoulder and knee injuries. Clark gone for 6 weeks minimum it looks like.

All of those players, fit and in form, would be pushing for selection. Instead we've taken a significant knock to our pool of best 30 players. I think all told we've done pretty well to be where we are and be in with a winning shot in all but one of our games so far.

Sure we have list deficiencies, especially in the midfield, but it's been made to look worse because of the limited cattle at our disposal so far this year. No team can cover long term injuries to 8-10 of your better players.

I reckon if we go 5-5 from here we probably just sneak into finals. 13 wins should be enough.

We won't beat Dees, Cats, Lions at home, or Tigers. So that is 4 losses right there.

I reckon we beat North, Hawks & Eagles.

So to make finals we might to win 2 out of Blues, Gold Coast and Lions at home.

Not easy given our current form. I rate us no better than 50% chance of making it. A win this week would significantly increase out chances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon if we go 5-5 from here we probably just sneak into finals. 13 wins should be enough.

We won't beat Dees, Cats, Lions at home, or Tigers. So that is 4 losses right there.

Not easy given our current form. I rate us no better than 50% chance of making it. A win this week would significantly increase out chances.
Win this week we make it
Lose we miss finals

Last edited:

Geelong and Richmond at Marvel are both very winnable games.

13 would be enough. We have benefited hugely from beating Dogs, Freo & Essendon earlier in the year and playing them only once; all of those teams plus Adelaide and Carlton sort of cannibalise each other over the back end of the season by all playing each other.

I think we'll beat Brisbane on Friday, win the three you identified and beat Blues (their season will be over when we meet them at Marvel) and win one of either Gold Coast (@ Metricon but they look shaky and we seem to get over them) or Richmond (we'll be miles better against them at Marvel).

Ah, it's so easy, even someone who <checks notes> gets paid more than anyone to actually play the game at the highest level will figure it out.

Perhaps it's not easy.
I didn’t say I had the answer or that it was so simple
I proposed a possible solution
I’d have no idea if this possible solution is viable or would work
What I do know is when I ran off the centre sq heading to the fwd 50 i would look and see where my forwards were and not kick it to the other coloured jumper
We would also sometimes man up the free man defender
Revolutionary stuff

B gradeMurray league might be a tad slower than afl tho
😎

I didn’t say I had the answer or that it was so simple
I proposed a possible solution
I’d have no idea if this possible solution is viable or would work
What I do know is when I ran off the centre sq heading to the fwd 50 i would look and see where my forwards were and not kick it to the other coloured jumper
We would also sometimes man up the free man defender
Revolutionary stuff

B gradeMurray league might be a tad slower than afl tho
😎

The best players in the world keep doing it. And the solution seems so simple.

This is such an important game in the context of the season and the boys are going to have to be switched on. I'm worried about the effects on the body after a tough game in the wet last week and a 6 day turnaround. Hope the boys can fire up against a tough opposition. Let's get there to Spud's game and help our boys over the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back