Preview Round 15: Richmond vs Carlton @ MCG - Friday 7:50pm, 10/07/2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last 7 VFL reports for Matt McDonough. Absolutely stuffed up really.

Round 12
18 disposals, 10 contested possessions, 7 tackles

Only played a half of footy and still had 18 touches. Impacted the game in crucial stoppages and played a high level of AFL footy. Another player pushing for senior selection.

Round 11
24 disposals, seven clearances

Played a good game for us offensively. Defensively, he let us down a little bit at times. But he continues to find the ball around stoppages, and some of the work he’s doing in close is AFL standard, we just need to keep his game on the outside coming along.

Round 10
28 disposals, five clearances, three goals

Had his best game for several weeks. Won a lot of ball and also impacted the scoreboard. If he can play like this on a consistent basis, he’s going to be pushing hard for senior selection. It’s the standard that he needs to be at.

Round 8
21 disposals, 12 contested possessions, six clearances

Had a good return for an inside midfielder, as his statistics show – six clearances, five tackles and 12 contested possessions. Our midfield, however, was well beaten by their Werribee counterparts and, unfortunately, we never got going inside. He needs to play better in order to strengthen his claims for a return to the senior side.

Round 7
16 disposals, three clearances, one goal

Played midfield in the first half, and then a little bit down back, before being ‘subbed’ at three-quarter time to be prepared for the AFL as a carry-over player. Was probably a little down on his customary high standard clearance work and competitive work inside. But we expect his form to pick up this week.

Round 6
18 disposals, five tackles

Couldn’t back up his stellar performance from the previous round. Was okay on the night, with a lot of work inside, including three or four clearances and five tackles. Overall, however, we expect more from him.

Round 5
30 disposals, seven clearances, three goals

Played his best game for the year, picking up 30 disposals and kicking three goals. Was very competitive inside the contest, but got plenty of ball outside as well, which is something we have been focusing on with him. Is pushing hard for another opportunity at senior level.

Clearance machine...gets his own ball...kicks goals

Don't know why the hate from some posters here for a guy that is a tigers player...puts in week in week out...is in our bests consistently yet gets overlooked

Last 7 VFL reports for Matt McDonough. Absolutely stuffed up really.

Round 12
18 disposals, 10 contested possessions, 7 tackles

Only played a half of footy and still had 18 touches. Impacted the game in crucial stoppages and played a high level of AFL footy. Another player pushing for senior selection.

Round 11
24 disposals, seven clearances

Played a good game for us offensively. Defensively, he let us down a little bit at times. But he continues to find the ball around stoppages, and some of the work he’s doing in close is AFL standard, we just need to keep his game on the outside coming along.

Round 10
28 disposals, five clearances, three goals

Had his best game for several weeks. Won a lot of ball and also impacted the scoreboard. If he can play like this on a consistent basis, he’s going to be pushing hard for senior selection. It’s the standard that he needs to be at.

Round 8
21 disposals, 12 contested possessions, six clearances

Had a good return for an inside midfielder, as his statistics show – six clearances, five tackles and 12 contested possessions. Our midfield, however, was well beaten by their Werribee counterparts and, unfortunately, we never got going inside. He needs to play better in order to strengthen his claims for a return to the senior side.

Round 7
16 disposals, three clearances, one goal

Played midfield in the first half, and then a little bit down back, before being ‘subbed’ at three-quarter time to be prepared for the AFL as a carry-over player. Was probably a little down on his customary high standard clearance work and competitive work inside. But we expect his form to pick up this week.

Round 6
18 disposals, five tackles

Couldn’t back up his stellar performance from the previous round. Was okay on the night, with a lot of work inside, including three or four clearances and five tackles. Overall, however, we expect more from him.

Round 5
30 disposals, seven clearances, three goals

Played his best game for the year, picking up 30 disposals and kicking three goals. Was very competitive inside the contest, but got plenty of ball outside as well, which is something we have been focusing on with him. Is pushing hard for another opportunity at senior level.
Just a few bolded bits, maybe the fact he doesn't back it up is maybe a reason for not getting selected, there is a negative comment every second game.

Came in here for the melts and have to say slightly disappointed..... lift people, lift!

On a brighter note, if we can win (that's an if) with a side containing Hampson, Morris, Newy, Lambert, Gordon and Hunt, how much better will be when we have Ivan, Griff, Conca, C. Ellis and Menadue/Knights/Lennon/draft pick 1/FA 1/trade 1....?

Melt-Cover.png

Clearly.

Too bad no one else notices.

Hey guys sorry to burst your bubble but neither Lennon or McDonough have ever done anything in the seniors when given a crack.

Morris at least has a role to play.

Also teams aren't selected on the best 22 guys. They're selected on the role they play in the team. Lennon has no defensive side to his game and hasn't show any improvement in that regard. McDonough won't be able to play on Yarran, while Morris can.

Still wouldn't be surprised to see McBean in for Lambert as a late change.

That's enough of your making sense.

I can see the reasons behind the ins this week. Hampson is obviously in for Maric which means Vickery's primary position isn't in the ruck and instead is in the forward line with Jack. I don't rate Vickery's rucking abilities so I'd rather him be in the forward line with Jack especially considering Griffiths is out. Atleast there Vickery can kick a set shot and do some damage. If Hampson is going to be on our list then give him a chance to actually fulfill his role.

Morris is as others have said in most likely for Yarran. As ineffective as he has been this season, at least we know what we'll get from him which is slightly safer then going with some rookies.

I think it's good Lambert is getting a string of games one after the other so he's getting a taste of what is required every week. The alternative is to be dropping youngsters every other week which sends a poor message and makes it hard for them to break into the team.

I have to wonder what is going on with Matt McDonough though. Is there something going on off-field that is stopping selectors from picking him?

Also I feel Newman should only be played as depth and should maybe start to take a back seat to some of the youngsters coming through. We have much more to gain by playing youngsters over Newman.

how good would it be if we had Gartlett in the side tomorow

Nah spud. Only has 25 goals already.

We have Morris's pressure acts combined with Newman's disappearing act.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a few bolded bits, maybe the fact he doesn't back it up is maybe a reason for not getting selected, there is a negative comment every second game.
He has played 8 odd games at AFL level and they seem to be expecting him to play at a consistently high AFL level in the VFL before he gets selected, while others, who are on the love child list, only need to play 2-3 quarters of half decent footy over 2-3 weeks to get a game.

Having watched several VFL games live, McDonough might have the odd spell where he isn't quite at elite AFL midfield level, but to constantly overlook him smacks of double standards, especially when Corey Ellis and to a point Menadue got selected when they didn't have a good 7-8 weeks stretch like McDonough has had to warrant selection.

How bout we play some more youth like Collingwood.. Lennon and McDonna should have been getting game time, disgrace as far as I'm concerned. No offence but lambert is just not up 2 it and he gets a gig straight away. McDonna from over the entire year has been good and he deterred a go.

We should beat these flogs by 40points ...but for some reason I'm feeling uneasy

Including this game, we have 9 matches remaining and need to win 9 from 9 for a top 4
We need to win 7 from 9 for a top 8 to lock in a top 8 finish...so we can't afford to drop this game

Nah. We have 8 wins already. Another 7 is 15 wins.

Don't think any side has missed the 8 with 13 wins ever. 12 and percentage will probably get in.

8 (possibly even 7) from 9 - top 4
5 from 9 - finals for sure.

Reached the point where I'm not fussed about team selections, as long as all the boys play well and win

Interesting feeling

Im in the same boat. The match committee obviously has their reasons and know more then what we do here. As long as the side that rolls out have a fair dinkum crack im happy.

How bout we play some more youth like Collingwood.. Lennon and McDonna should have been getting game time, disgrace as far as I'm concerned. No offence but lambert is just not up 2 it and he gets a gig straight away. McDonna from over the entire year has been good and he deterred a go.
Players that haven't played a senior game for us this year:
  • Hampson - Playing this week
  • Conca - Injured
  • Foley - Injured
  • McKenzie - 1st Year Player
  • Dea - Can't break into our backline
  • Butler - 1st Year Player & Injured
  • Thomas (R) - Just got elevated
  • Castagna (R) - 1st Year Player & Rookie & Injured
  • Short (R) - 1st Year Player & Rookie & Injured
  • Soldo (R) - 1st Year Player & Rookie

I can see the reasons behind the ins this week. Hampson is obviously in for Maric which means Vickery's primary position isn't in the ruck and instead is in the forward line with Jack. I don't rate Vickery's rucking abilities so I'd rather him be in the forward line with Jack especially considering Griffiths is out. Atleast there Vickery can kick a set shot and do some damage. If Hampson is going to be on our list then give him a chance to actually fulfill his role.

I think it may also have a lot to do with BOTH Maric & Griff being out.
If Griff was still there, then you could use Vickery in the ruck and have Griff as backup, but with both out, and no decent backup ruckman able to be brought in (do you want McBean rucking ~30% of the time?) then playing Hampson was clearly the better option.

Also I feel Newman should only be played as depth and should maybe start to take a back seat to some of the youngsters coming through. We have much more to gain by playing youngsters over Newman.

What about just picking the 22 most likely to win the game each week? We're not good enough to play funny buggers and playing kids 'for the experience' can only be done if you don't mind which way the result goes too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back