Preview Round 15: Richmond vs Carlton @ MCG - Friday 7:50pm, 10/07/2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has played 8 odd games at AFL level and they seem to be expecting him to play at a consistently high AFL level in the VFL before he gets selected, while others, who are on the love child list, only need to play 2-3 quarters of half decent footy over 2-3 weeks to get a game.

Having watched several VFL games live, McDonough might have the odd spell where he isn't quite at elite AFL midfield level, but to constantly overlook him smacks of double standards, especially when Corey Ellis and to a point Menadue got selected when they didn't have a good 7-8 weeks stretch like McDonough has had to warrant selection.
Let's put him up for trade at the end of the year and let's see if anyone is willing to part with a draft pick for him, if he is such a gun we should be flooded with offers.

If Lambert warrants automatic inclusion after 3/4 of a game then McDonough surely warrants a game after a good 7 weeks of footy where he has averaged 22 disposals a game, despite missing at least 3 quarters of footy in that time. In fact if you take Lamberts 28 disposals from 3/4 of a game to get recalled as the standard, then 18 disposals 10 contested possessions & 7 tackles in a half of footy must mean McDonough is extremely stiff to miss out.
How does coming on at the end of the second quarter = 3 quarters of a game? Its closer to half a game.
Also the selection committee do a little more than look at the stats. Theres a reason they chose Lambert instead of McDounough and no its not bias. You dont know why, I dont know why. So theres no points arguing with anyone.
Also why the hell are you arguing to me that McDonough should've been picked this week? Where did I ever say he shouldn't have? All I was replying to was you saying Lamberts VFL from wasn't good enough o be selected. Which was false.

Let's put him up for trade at the end of the year and let's see if anyone is willing to part with a draft pick for him, if he is such a gun we should be flooded with offers.

He chokes at senior level. The difference between VFL and AFL is massive. Look at the Bean. Faaarking kills it in the Magoos but when he comes up to the pros he is lost. I tell ya what, if McD gets another crack at the seniors he'd want to perform. I'd taken Chris Knights and his dodgy hammy over McD any time. Truth be told and now he's back Knights might actually get a Guernsey over McD leading into the finals

He chokes at senior level. The difference between VFL and AFL is massive. Look at the Bean. Faaarking kills it in the Magoos but when he comes up to the pros he is lost. I tell ya what, if McD gets another crack at the seniors he'd want to perform. I'd taken Chris Knights and his dodgy hammy over McD any time. Truth be told and now he's back Knights might actually get a Guernsey over McD leading into the finals

I'm more likely than McD to get a spot and I've retired! He has pissed somebody off.... maybe he's told us he's leaving at the end of the season. If so, fair enough, leave him in the VFL. If not.... well I'd rather have him in than a couple of blokes in there at the moment (to see what he has.... he couldn't contribute less than they are currently).

Right decision to only play 2 tall forwards, given that the conditions will wet. Not sure why Morris was included, hasn't show any form in the VFL. Madonna or Benny Lennon would have been better choices IMO.

Kane Lambert also lucky to get another game, but hopefully he is up to the pace of AFL this time around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does coming on at the end of the second quarter = 3 quarters of a game? Its closer to half a game.
Also the selection committee do a little more than look at the stats. Theres a reason they chose Lambert instead of McDounough and no its not bias. You dont know why, I dont know why. So theres no points arguing with anyone.
Also why the hell are you arguing to me that McDonough should've been picked this week? Where did I ever say he shouldn't have? All I was replying to was you saying Lamberts VFL from wasn't good enough o be selected. Which was false.
He didn't come on at half time. He came on in the early stages of the second quarter. As for the statement that Lamberts form warranted selection, if 3/4 of a game with 28 disposals warrants selection then surely half a game with 18 disposals & 7 tackles warrants selection as well.

No one will trade for him, he is coming off contract all they'd have to do is wait until we delisted him and they pick him up as a delisted free agent, the same way we picked up Hunt. BTW I've never said he was a star, my point is that IMO there are different sets of rules for different players when it comes to being selected. McDonough has played a solid 7 weeks of footy and IMO should be rewarded with a crack at it especially if we're looking at keeping him on the list to see if his decent form at VFL level can transition to AFL level.

No one will trade for him, he is coming off contract all they'd have to do is wait until we delisted him and they pick him up as a delisted free agent, the same way we picked up Hunt. BTW I've never said he was a star, my point is that IMO there are different sets of rules for different players when it comes to being selected. McDonough has played a solid 7 weeks of footy and IMO should be rewarded with a crack at it especially if we're looking at keeping him on the list to see if his decent form at VFL level can transition to AFL level.
We are looking to win games , not looking to see if kids can perform . In my opinion I would love to see mcdonna play , or even Lennon , but I trust the coaching staff have picked Morris for a reason . I'll back the staff who have overseen wins interstate against big sides . I reckon you guys should do . Have a go when it doesn't work

We are looking to win games , not looking to see if kids can perform . In my opinion I would love to see mcdonna play , or even Lennon , but I trust the coaching staff have picked Morris for a reason . I'll back the staff who have overseen wins interstate against big sides . I reckon you guys should do . Have a go when it doesn't work
You still reward young player when they have performed consistently at VFL level instead of bringing back players who aren't/haven't performed that well. As for not having a go until after it doesn't work, do that and I'll get accused of being reactionary. At least by voicing my concerns about selection before the game I can't be accused of waiting for a poor performance to sink the boot in.

Morris has proven to be average as a defensive forward. Doesn't get enough of the ball, bad decision making, not enough tackles and doesn't put any scoreboard pressure on the opposition.

Why not give McDonough (HE WAS DRAFTED AS A SMALL FORWARD) a shot there ... Tell him he has a 3 week period to really have a influence. If it works, beautiful. If it doesn't work it honestly can't be much worse than what Morris has offered.

I rate Hardwick but one thing he doesn't have is flair, he is old fashioned. Take some risks with the line ups.

The gap between VFL and AFL is so massive players need more than a game or a quarter to adjust. The longer they spend there the harder the step up becomes. Someone like Corey Ellis was given that extended run when he wasn't great in his first game and was starting to show a bit. McDonough hasn't had those same chances to settle. No idea why, maybe they know he's gone at the end of the year so why waste time on him. Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back