Preview Round 15 St Kilda vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't believe everyone is writing our chances off against Essendon.

I'm not writing us off because of Essendon. I writing us off because of us. We are a woeful team at the moment, and are in the position where we will have to blood more kids - hardly the time you expect to start thrashing opposition, especially opposition who are in the top-4.

It seems like Kosi might get a reprieve due to Stanley and Blake's injuries which isn't ideal but hopefully he can produce a better game than he did against North, providing he is over whatever illness he had then he should be able to do that.

A crippled Iranian goat herder could produce a better game that Kosi did against North. His standards have to be higher than that. He needs some straight talking: "You sucked. You have no points left in the bank to justify a performance like that. The only reason you're out there is because we can't elevate Archer or Lever, but either would do a better job than you, based on recent performances. You're either going to play like a champion - which is doubtful - and save your career, or you retire next year. Your extendable contract will not be extendable, given your performance in this year as a whole. The times of your being able to rely on random, isolated performances to get you by are well and truly over."

If we dropped both Clarke & Gilbert the backline would be more vulnerable than it already is. Essendon will try to expose that with all their talls.

Why would we drop Gilbert. I've been one of the most vehement callers for him to go back to Sandy, but I can't fault that performance. Did well. Showed heart when many others didn't.

Yeah with Blake out and no Goddard at half back either we probably need to keep Gilbert and Clarke to bolster our defence although I still think Simpkin should come back in.

Agree that Wilkes needs to be given a go as a key forward as neither Riewoldt or Kosi are giving us much at the moment. With Milne, Schneider, Saad, Milera and Siposs we can put together a pretty potent forward line of small and medium sized forwards but we still need another tall marking target to help out Riewoldt and Kosi, ideally that would be Stanley but with him out injured Wilkes is the next best alternative.

I don't know how we do it, but Wilkes HAS to play. Simpkin comes in for Blake, easy.

Watters has used Gilbert as a pinch-ruck at points, and I can't imagine a better insult "wake-up call" to Kosi than that.

Ive mentioned it couple times, with Siposs's elite kicking skills maybe we use him in same role as what Goddard is usually used?
That could be an option depending on which Goddard role you're talking about. If he plays mostly back the problem with that is at times it leaves you with one of Milne, Schneider, Milera or Saad to be that lead up option and we all saw how much that didn't work against North. Unless we bring someone like Markworth in but he's probably at least another preseason away from senior football because he's so damn skinny.

EDIT: Forgot about Dunell. Could definitely be an option.

Simpkin needs to return. Gilbert is a must - shit, the guy had 9 tackles and I don't remember him being outpointed in a 1 on 1. Dunell seems a good option along with Wilkes if Kosi needs to spend more time in the ruck and with Riewoldt seemingly unable to run games out (or alternatively to ensure we have some skill kicking out of defence with Goddard out).

Is it just me or do other people think Essendons new clash strip is actually more of a clash with us then their normal jumper? The grey looks very much like white in various pictures. At least with other one it was clearly Red & Black... I know big red sash stands out, but dont understand how AFL can think this isnt a clash when other one was?

art-353-essendon-away-jumper-200x0.jpg

Maybe something like this:

OUT: blake, stanley, goddard, milera, milne, clarke, gilbert
IN: simpkin, wilkes, jones, siposs, ray, newnes, ledger

simpkin gwilt geary
newnes fisher dempster
ray armitage montagna
siposs reiwoldt schneider
steven wilkes saad

mcevoy hayes dal santo

gram jones kozi
ledger

Emg: Clarke, Cripps, Gilbert

See bold....do we really lose anything by making these changes?

I can't see any real problem with this.
I wonder if Essendon will spring Gumbleton in for Crameri instead of Bellchambers?
I wouldn't be dropping Clarke though and would definitely give a young bloke a go on Dellólio. Dellolio isn't that quick for a small forward.

Just a quick one on Pears mate, where's he at? Obviously we're struggling for KP defenders so would Essendon be looking to move him and what would be the cost?

Pears is injured. Did his hammy during the Dees game.

I really think we'll see Seb Ross come in this week. Watters has mentioned he'd like to give him a taste of AFL to go on with next season and he's been playing well in the VFL including their last game. Give him a run with role on his cousin Jobe and Dempster can go to him when he pushes forward. Why not I say?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Geary - Gwilt - Simpkin
HB: Clarke - Fisher - Dempster
C: Gram - Hayes - Schneider
HF: Gilbert - Riewoldt - Steven
FF: Saad - Wilkes - Koschitzke
R: McEvoy - Dal Santo - Jones
I: Montagna - Armitage - Milne
S: Ross
OUT - Goddard (Susp), Blake (Inj), Stanley (Inj), Milera (Omit)
IN - Simpkin, Wilkes, Jones, Ross

Apparently in The Age few days it mentioned Beau Wilkes was injured. Anyone see it? Hopefully if true its just little tweak & he'll be right to go

Apparently in The Age few days it mentioned Beau Wilkes was injured. Anyone see it? Hopefully if true its just little tweak & he'll be right to go

Wonder when he would have done that - given he replaced Faz in the squad on Friday (which would have been after final training).

He contributed his stomach contents, Watters needs to be clearer with his expectations of what contributes a contribution. :p

Also, maybe it was just spin by the media to make up that if an obvious change for an obvious illness didn't eventuate that said obvious change must be injured for it not to take place? Because we are talking hindsight and a largely opinion driven business here.

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2012/07/04/watters-examines-st-kilda-list/

Scott Watters will turn to reserve playing stocks in a bid to conquer a red-hot Essendon in a cut-throat clash at Etihad Stadium on Saturday night.

“There’s going to be some opportunity thrown to some players who have to take the challenges.”

"I’m still learning a lot about this group, about who is going to be with us going forward, who wants to be with us going forward,”

“At the end of the year we’ll make some decisions on where our list needs to be to become competitive again and be a top four side.”

“There will be some young kids thrown in and there’ll be some players that have been in good form at Sandringham. They’ll get an opportunity."

“We want to pay respect to players that have been playing well."

“Simpkin will be one of them.”

When do we start blaming the players for being out there? This 'play no matter what' mentality we have in football is ridiculous, if Kosi feels like death he needs to put his hand up and take himself out because he isn't helping the team if he's as sick as a dog.

When do we start blaming the players for being out there? This 'play no matter what' mentality we have in football is ridiculous, if Kosi feels like death he needs to put his hand up and take himself out because he isn't helping the team if he's as sick as a dog.

You're preaching, but I'm converted!

Kosi should not have played in front of Wilkes.

In this scenario, Simpkin should have played back in place of Blake who is the second ruckman.

Stanley was too big a risk (except as a sub - even if there is a risk of early injury, the sub has typically been activated late in games).

Milera should not have played. I'd have taken the opportunity to play Dunell.

I'm not sure why Ray is still out of the team.

i Agree with what most others are saying about Kosi on here. If he wasnt fit then why did we play him over Wilkes, who has beed good and bad in his limited opportunities this season.

Dont get why people want Milera dropped. He's been fine except for a couple of games. He is worth persisting with.

The ones who need to be dropped are Clarke (just cant get a grip on the speed of AFL), Milne (sorry milney even though you are on the brink of 250), Kosi (we need him sort term though). It's worth keeping Gilbert in the team as he is still a good player, he's just not playing well, like many others. at least he offers something in the back line. . . :confused:

I'd bring in this week, Jones, Siposs, Wilkes, Ray, Newnes
Out - Blake, Stanley, Clarke, Goddard, Milne

Why are people calling for Gilbert to be dropped? With no Goddard and Blake, that would just be silly. Gilbert was one of the very few who was running hard defensively, actually looked like he wanted the ball... Hell, Gilbert does not deserve to be dropped. If you want to drop anyone from the backline, drop Gram... Soft soft soft! (especially when he kicked it to himself on the ground 5m from Norths goals...)

When did Newnes play his last game - I may be wrong, but I believe he has not played for Sandy either ? Not sure if we want to throw him straight back in ?

Simpkin will come in for Blake - if Clarke is out (which I don't think he shoud be, he had a good game apart fom the one incident many refer to while ignoring his defensive efforts), who will defend for him ?

No way Milne will be dropped - 250th game and actually was better than many (certainly better than Saad and Milera) on Sunday.

I would like Jones and Ray to come in and hope they are not on Watters' list that already includes Peake and Polo (Essendon have a few that should require particular attention if we want avoid another Wells scenario), but Watters' comments may hint at some youngsters getting a chance (which may also speak against Wilkes, especially if a sick Koschitzke is considered a better option, despite Koschitzke being required as backup ruckman).

Anything can happen this week, but I would expect (unless only the three minimum changes are made which is real possibility and in which case one of Jones and Ray as well as Ross stay out):

Out: Blake, Stanley, Goddard, Milera, Saad

In: Simpkin, Siposs, Ray, Jones, Ross

Why are people calling for Gilbert to be dropped? With no Goddard and Blake, that would just be silly. Gilbert was one of the very few who was running hard defensively, actually looked like he wanted the ball... Hell, Gilbert does not deserve to be dropped. If you want to drop anyone from the backline, drop Gram... Soft soft soft! (especially when he kicked it to himself on the ground 5m from Norths goals...)

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 15 St Kilda vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back