Preview Round 15 St Kilda vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

we dont normally have 4 tall fwds??

Siposs isnt a tall forward, he hardly plays in forward line anyway. We normally have Roo, Kosi, Stanley. So Wilkes replaces Stanley. Kosi going to have to ruck alot to help out Macca given no Blake now.

Happy with those changes.

Ray, Jones, Wilkes, Simpkin and Siposs are all good inclusions.

Ray and Jones are both hard workers in the midfield and can play shut down roles which we were badly missing last week when guys like Wells ran loose. Wilkes and Siposs will give us some more marking and goal kicking power up forward which we badly lacked last week as well. Simpkin can play the steady, shut down role in defence that Blake plays and allow the likes of Fisher, Gilbert and Gwilt to play more attacking roles.

I know Kosi deserves to be dropped after last week but we need him for ruck back up and hopefully he can get back to some of his early season form up forward. He couldn't be any worse than last week at least and I'm sure he's aware he played a bad game and needs to make amends this week.

You know, I want to see "something", and whilst these changes reflect the poor discipline and if you play well in the VFL you'll at least get a look in, it's very same-same when things obviously aren't firing on all cylinders and "something" is needed to either address it or change up what is then deemed normal.

Bring in another backman and go with Gilbo pinching in the ruck as an extra midfielder who jumps. Bring in an extra midfielder and try to outrun/tank several individuals in the opposition, bring in clean disposal players and attempt to play keepings off pinpoint transition footy. Just something as opposed to a persistent "when shit hits the fan and we have some minor structural miss matches, we'll play 4 negating players (Jones, Ray, Geary, Dempster) and a same size forward structure (Roo-Kosi-Stanley/Wilkes + 3 smalls) to deal with the shocking bombing that consistently is our disposal inside 50" and hope for the best that these player changes won't suck as much as the previous blokes did. Well, unless you're Kosi because you're tall and we don't like risky footy so you can play as you please and we'll just verbally remand you whilst giving you an ironclad "due to your genetics you'll get a game this week" speech.

So no, rather disappointed actually as I can't see us getting close on current form with that side as it needed a far bigger injection of people who give a damn about going out there and giving 100% or buggering off and not being entirely selfish.

So no, rather disappointed actually as I can't see us getting close on current form with that side as it needed a far bigger injection of people who give a damn about going out there and giving 100% or buggering off and not being entirely selfish.

Well Ray and Jones usually give 100% and I'm sure they will be desperate to make the most of another chance.

Simpkin has always given 100% in the games I've seen him play, he might get outmuscled with strength and height but he doesn't give up and throw in the towel.

I've been impressed with Siposs in his last couple of games with his workrate which wasn't up to scratch earlier in the season, Watters making him earn games rather than being gifted them has helped.

Wilkes form in the VFL has been good and he deserves another opportunity and like Ray and Jones I'm sure he will be desperate to make the most of another chance.

I'm happy enough with all those inclusions but the proof will be in their performances against Essendon. Should any of them play badly and not give 100% I reserve the right to bag the shit out of them.

You know, I want to see "something", and whilst these changes reflect the poor discipline and if you play well in the VFL you'll at least get a look in, it's very same-same when things obviously aren't firing on all cylinders and "something" is needed to either address it or change up what is then deemed normal.

Bring in another backman and go with Gilbo pinching in the ruck as an extra midfielder who jumps. Bring in an extra midfielder and try to outrun/tank several individuals in the opposition, bring in clean disposal players and attempt to play keepings off pinpoint transition footy. Just something as opposed to a persistent "when shit hits the fan and we have some minor structural miss matches, we'll play 4 negating players (Jones, Ray, Geary, Dempster) and a same size forward structure (Roo-Kosi-Stanley/Wilkes + 3 smalls) to deal with the shocking bombing that consistently is our disposal inside 50" and hope for the best that these player changes won't suck as much as the previous blokes did. Well, unless you're Kosi because you're tall and we don't like risky footy so you can play as you please and we'll just verbally remand you whilst giving you an ironclad "due to your genetics you'll get a game this week" speech.

I for one am very pleased with the ins and outs

We are in serious need of defensive pressure as that's been our achilles heel so Jones and Ray in is pretty much a MUST to address this serious problem and besides they can help Lenny out and allow our other midfielders more outside run. So you are not a fan of their disposal but the thing is there is noone else to bring in and you know something i'd rather bring them in and give 100% which is what you wanted as well then play air heads or younger blokes not up to it.

As for the blokes with few games under their belt how can you be dissapointed? Siposs and Simpkin are the future of the club and must be getting game time.

As for Wilkes inclusion. That speaks for itself where Kosi will be spending time this weekend and while i'm not overly enthused he's still playing i can understand why they kept him in the side even though i don't agree with it. If we can't play Wilkes now then why on earth is he on the list? Now is the time to see if he can cut it in the big league.

Agree with most of that, the only thing I disagree with is Geary being a negating player. He showed last week how attacking he can be when he's asked to. But yeah bit of same old same old.

Don't mind the changes but one thing we didn't do is address the speed problem at all in the midfield which is going to be a big problem. Not crazy about Jones coming in either, would've liked to have only seen one tagger with Ray doing a run with job if needed. That would've allowed us to bring in another midfielder like Ledger or Ross for his debut.

On the positive it's great to see Siposs and Wilkes come back in. Both very deserving and should improve the forward line both with goalkicking and mobility, assuming we can get it into them of course.

Agree with most of that, the only thing I disagree with is Geary being a negating player. He showed last week how attacking he can be when he's asked to. But yeah bit of same old same old.

Don't mind the changes but one thing we didn't do is address the speed problem at all in the midfield which is going to be a big problem. Not crazy about Jones coming in either, would've liked to have only seen one tagger with Ray doing a run with job if needed. That would've allowed us to bring in another midfielder like Ledger or Ross for his debut.

On the positive it's great to see Siposs and Wilkes come back in. Both very deserving and should improve the forward line both with goalkicking and mobility, assuming we can get it into them of course.

I had Geary in my dreamteam earlier this year. There were some phenomenal games early on. Then he got some tagging roles and I had to get rid of him.. My point is, he is very good running of the backline, and and he seems to have improved his disposal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the Saints injuries, I'm very pleased with those changes - just what I thought might happen (#109) - maybe except for Clarke. Slightly surprised with the 3 emergencies, and I thought Clarke might have made the 25.

I had Geary in my dreamteam earlier this year. There were some phenomenal games early on. Then he got some tagging roles and I had to get rid of him.. My point is, he is very good running of the backline, and and he seems to have improved his disposal.

I had Geary in my DT/SC as well after he was scoring well early in the season but then he started playing shut down roles and scoring bugger all so offloaded him.

Not really a great pick for DT/SC as his role changes from week to week but he has been great all year for us with his versatility, he can play good shut down roles but can also get a lot of the ball and be damaging when he plays a more attacking role.

Along with Steven and Armitage he has been one of the shining lights of our season. All three of them will be a good chance of finishing top 10 in our B&F this year providing they don't miss too many more games with injuries.

Last time they played Round 3 2011

Essendon 21.10.136 defeated St Kilda 12.12.84 margin 52 points

Essendon INS: Carlisle, Hille, Hibbered, Myers, Dyson and Reimers.
Essendon OUTS: Monfries, McVeigh, Winderlich, Zaharakis, Bellchambers and Crameri.

St Kilda INS: Saad, Wilkes, Geary, Simpkin, Hayes and Kozschitzke
St Kilda OUTS: Peake, Gamble, Clarke, Dawson, Stanley and Goddard

Key facts from last time they played

St Kilda had 38 more disposals winning the count 381-343
Out of the 21.10 essendon kicked they have lost 10.5
Jobe Watson had 33 Disposals 3 goals (last 5 matches against St Kilda averages 33 disposals 1 goal)
Tom Bellchambers had 41 hitouts out of essendons 56 (St Kilda had 28 Hitouts)

Yeah I really like him in the attacking role. Would be nice if we could get some more small defenders so we could release him more often.

As I was watching the game last week I was thinking that it would probably be the last time we'd see Raph. May very well have been. (The "like" button is just below, to the right, Hayes.)
;)

Last time they played Round 3 2011

Essendon 21.10.136 defeated St Kilda 12.12.84 margin 52 points

Essendon INS: Carlisle, Hille, Hibbered, Myers, Dyson and Reimers.
Essendon OUTS: Monfries, McVeigh, Winderlich, Zaharakis, Bellchambers and Crameri.

St Kilda INS: Saad, Wilkes, Geary, Simpkin, Hayes and Kozschitzke
St Kilda OUTS: Peake, Gamble, Clarke, Dawson, Stanley and Goddard

Key facts from last time they played

St Kilda had 38 more disposals winning the count 381-343
Out of the 21.10 essendon kicked they have lost 10.5
Jobe Watson had 33 Disposals 3 goals (last 5 matches against St Kilda averages 33 disposals 1 goal)
Tom Bellchambers had 41 hitouts out of essendons 56 (St Kilda had 28 Hitouts)

As far as defender's go, I'd rate Blake above Simpkin, up against a relatively slow but much taller opponent. Against a quicker guy I think Simpkin has the edge. Maybe a good match up on Ryder.

Good side, i think it's time we all stopped whinging about selections,Kosi was a monty to play and he'll play off the bench with Macca.Wilkes will line up at FF at the start and Saad will be the sub.

hope they don't put Wilkes in the backline like they did last time! He aint a backman

I think he is a better match up for Fletcher than Hooker or Hardingham.

Riewoldt needs to play CHB/CHF rotate ruck.

I don't want to watch a game where Kozi plays forward and is too slow for Hooker/Fletcher or even Hardingham.

And certainly don't want to watch a game whereby Riewoldt takes a couple of uncontested marks 80 metres from goal to prove he can lead faster than Fletcher (a 37 year old veteran).

Wilkes for Full Forward.

Kozi and Roo can get back their prized glamour forward spots once the team starts winning again. And both start kicking straight!

Kozi/Roo to rotate Ruck/CHB/CHF and help out Macca!

Drop Kosi please, I do not buy into the sickness excuse. Saints fans prepare yourself, there will be plenty of football rebounding out of the Saints forward 50m to help set up Essendon attacks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 15 St Kilda vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back