Review Round 16, 2015 - Melbourne vs Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players for the round 16 game against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre-season is still pre-season.

A-League was fantastic to watch last year and the EPL is one of the best sporting leagues in the world.

I stand firmly in believing that if we were to get the World Cup in Australia, it would be a big dent in the AFL.
Just like Greece and Brazil, where the biggest dent was to the poor.

Just going to rattle off thoughts
  • Probably not the worst game but definitely the worst half this year
  • Maybe a good thing we didn't win this one. Can't keep relying on coming from behind
  • Didn't take the game on + Didn't nail opportunities = Serious confidence issues
  • Leuenberger/Martin combo isn't working in its current form
  • If I had a choice between Adcock and Claye Beams, I'd choose Clay.
  • Sam Mayes finally showing signs getting over his slump
  • Dees have what we lack in spades: Solid KPPs
Trying to find some small wins but yeah, deflating.

Just like Greece and Brazil, where the biggest dent was to the poor.
Greece has never hosted the World Cup?

Anywho back on topic.

It will be very interesting to see how we respond next year, I could see another bottom 2 finish quite easily if another big player turnover occurs.

But today was just not acceptable at all, best team on paper for the year and after the recent good patches over the past 3 weeks, deplorable.

pft:rolleyes: 52,000 to a friendly match here on Friday night. 5x more ppl than today for a friendly game between a spanish and an italian team at MCG last night.
To be fair there was a few empty seats at Suncorp, despite tickets "selling out" at least 3 times! But expect close to 100,000 next Friday for a Spanish team against an English team (I'll be one of those :) )

Ambivalent to Leppa, either he is in a fog and hasn't a clue or he is smart as a fox and is rebuilding for the future. But that's not our problem, if and when we start winning us rusted on supporters will be swamped by fly by nighters till the next downturn. Our biggest priority is to develop loyal supporters. In every state. Can't rely on Brisbane alone. Our biggest challenge is to widen our national supporter base
P.S. Red cordial contains at least 12 grams of sugar per glass. (That's 3 teaspoons.)
I'm ambivalent about something... don't know what. To get members on the back of that (4 goals against the trashiest team in 20 years), you don't search for loyalty. You search for masochism. Something is definitely wrong somewhere. Don't know if its the coach, admin, league or what. But whatever or whoever it is that deprives us of the opportunity to have at least one KPF, to that I lay blame. I suspect it is corrupted equalization, and therefore the fault of the AFL.

I'm ambivalent about something... don't know what. To get members on the back of that (4 goals against the trashiest team in 20 years), you don't search for loyalty. You search for masochism. Something is definitely wrong somewhere. Don't know if its the coach, admin, league or what. But whatever or whoever it is that deprives us of the opportunity to have at least one KPF, to that I lay blame. I suspect it is corrupted equalization, and therefore the fault of the AFL.
How many KPFs have we passed over in the draft in the last 4 or 5 years? We put all our eggs on Browny even knowing he didn't have long left. The club's recruiters have to field some of the blame for that. Sure, the drafts have been compromised and we have probably suffered more than most in that time but that isn't the full story. Maybe we should have played hardball with trades for the go-home 5? There are a lot of reasons but most of them fall squarely on the club.

Where is Leigh and the rest of the brains trust in all this. Seems even Swanny has gone off the radar. Leppa is out their by himself. It's the whole package that needs a vision. We seem rudderless without any strong club leadership. I would like to see Jeff Kennett as our President. At least he would have a go.

if that happened our performances on the field would be irrelevant. I would walk away and never look back.

That person is an A grade, gold plated PRICK.

Why don't you pull your balls out of your handbag and have an actual view. If you have any.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the train home and that was a shocking game to. Even Melbourne fans weren't that happy about the game. Hogan really was the difference between the teams.

On us I am surprised by all the votes for Taylor. Sure he ran hard and got a lot of the ball but was shocking with it. Melbourne knew he was going to try and run past the defender every time and they caught him how many times? Got lucky to not be called for holding the ball more often.

Disappointing today, i thought we could have won by a couple of goals. Scoring one goal in a half is unacceptable regardless of your opponent. Feel sorry for those that attended. Can we win another game this season?

On the train home and that was a shocking game to. Even Melbourne fans weren't that happy about the game. Hogan really was the difference between the teams.

On us I am surprised by all the votes for Taylor. Sure he ran hard and got a lot of the ball but was shocking with it. Melbourne knew he was going to try and run past the defender every time and they caught him how many times? Got lucky to not be called for holding the ball more often.
I agree, he needs to change his game style. He can get the ball but is indecisive with it.

Paparone might look awkward when he has the ball but 24 disposals at 83% is not bad at all.

Quietly a good decision maker and is having a decent year.

That was a truly horrible game. We lost because Melbourne sucked slightly less than us. No one deserved to win it though. Two very bad teams playing very badly is what I saw. Melbourne get some credit for at least moving the ball quickly at times.

Positives: Lewis Taylor tried and tried and tried. At times he was the only one trying to create. Harris Andrews continues to impress, a real gem. Robinson always plays like he really cares and is going to be picked over some far more talented players in the next season or two unless they show the same intent. Zorko is improving and showing glimpses of his best.

Negatives: Adcock looks almost done at times, hope I am wrong though. Rich is seriously out of form or injured. Rockliff is struggling to have an impact. Beams is barely fit. Hanley looks close to finished for the season.

All the talk of coaches being sacked is just fan venting as far as I am concerned. This was all down to very ordinary performances by both teams.

Let us never speak of this game again.

It is good that we at least didn't go quietly into the night with more than just a pathetic whimper as a fading legacy.

Not sure that we can play the strongest team card to heavily tonight considering that Rich, Beams, Hanley are all carrying injuries. We were talking before the season about how it would take a while for the midfield to gel ... just because they only start playing together in round whatever doesn't take that out of the equation.

Getting a forward will certainly help but having a team ethos of doing what you can to help the guy who has the ball (and the guy who you expect will have the ball next!) would be a good move forward and some kind of proactivity in the clearance setup would be great too.

Pretty sure that one will not be on the list of legendary games to revisit any time soon - on the positive the gameday thread this week on the main board is a lot more pages than the one last week was!

Oh and good to see some more improvement in Zorks and Mayes!

I thought Leuey was a fair bit better than Stef today. Been saying for a while that Stef is not a clear number 1 over Leuey.

A lot of work to do in the off season catching up on learning how to play like most others have been for the past few years.

Surely Leppa won't be getting a contract extension anytime soon.

I thought Leuey was a fair bit better than Stef today. Been saying for a while that Stef is not a clear number 1 over Leuey.

A lot of work to do in the off season catching up on learning how to play like most others have been for the past few years.

Surely Leppa won't be getting a contract extension anytime soon.
Gawn was smashing Stef in ruck contests, especially early. Only once Leuey started going in there more did we get a more competitive contest.

Does PP decision happen before or after trade period? I hope it was "one of those games" we had to have, so Swanny can convince the overlords for a PP. Pretty please. Pick 2 will be dream come true, at this stage end of Rd1 will be better than nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 16, 2015 - Melbourne vs Brisbane Lions

Back