Autopsy Round 16, 2024: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I only caught the first 2.5 quarters. Our skills were deplorable at times. Our ability to stuff up easy opportunities is second to none.

I can accept being a bottom four team but what scares me is what the future holds. We don't really have that many good young players, most of our best players are pushing towards 30, it looks like we'll lose one of our few good players who is around 25.

The only positive out of today is Pou's VFL game, we need him and a few others to come through as elite midfield players. But what does next year hold? Could we go backwards again? It's genuinely scary to me to think about where we are really at; other sides have been bottoming out stockpiling young talent we have been mid table or finals for ages, we just don't seem to have the young guns of other sides.

If we are at the start of a rebuild that is scary to me.

Max King is a CHF and should never be wrestling in the goal square.

Is Max playing injured?
No.

If David King has the downfield footage of the last warm up after we ran out to the song you'll see a player that performed how he prepared. F All care. Mosied around the forward 50. A couple of lackadaisical kicks and that was it. In the same time the other forwards had close to 10 kicks each. Demanding the ball. The guy is a prima donna.

Josh Battle may or may not be out the door but he played like a man that cares.

Many years ago Ross made a statement with a couple of our great players. How is Max getting a free ride? The time for a statement today was by subbing him out.

in a season where for a variety of reasons I've watched mainly on the t.v and been disgusted, I reached a next level today with him. I want him gone. If he goes to another club and pulls his finger out so be it. I'm convinced he'll never do it for us.

Oh and pay Josh Battle what he wants. We have so few others worthy we should reward him. Make it impossible for Hawthorn to take him without blowing their cap and club up.

Gee, I notice a lot of the “positive” posters who accuse many of negativity week-on-week are sticking the boots into Max King

Very interesting to see.

You’ve really bought into your supreme leader’s command to start blaming the list now haven’t you?

Max is an easy target when he shouldn’t be.

We had David Misson come out and admit the coaches are “confusing” the players on how to move the ball just a few weeks back.

Add to that our absolutely appalling skill level.

How do you reckon it would be playing key forward in our team? I’ll give you a tip, it would be up there with the most horrible jobs in the world. Like pushing shit up a hill.

Our problem is gameplan, coaching and skill level. Our kicking is poor and our player movement is also too reliant on long bombs. Our forwards simply can’t predict what’s going to happen and it shows.

Keep tipping on Max and the list. You’ll get your way and have a Ross Lyon-led rebuild.

After hiring a (years) out-of-date coach tactics-wise, letting him hire everyone in the bloody joint, do you really think it’s smart to then give him the keys to a bottom-out rebuild?

It would be suicidal.

Stop blaming the list now. Look at what a modern tactically astute coach like Sam Mitchell is doing (his best midfielder? A midseason draft pick) with an average list. Their skills and decision making are a joy to watch. Like a different sport to the dirge Ross serves up.

Get a progressive coaching group in that you don’t hire over cognacs on a yacht. Have a proper hiring panel and demand the best technical coaches in the game. Develop our existing talent to their full potential.

Start putting heat on the club and Bassit for making such a shocking decision as getting a prehistoric coach back for a last dance.

We are members of the club.

It is not Ross Lyon FC. We don’t exist to revel in his press conferences. We exist to try and win Premierships.

If we get rid of these dinosaurs, we can still save the club.

NAS will never be a star until he stops shanking kicks into the forward line or taking shots at goal that always miss

Jesus, he's the closest thing we've had to young star in 20 years. Nas isn't anywhere near an issue. Some of the stuff he's doing in his 55th game would put him up there with some of the best in the comp.

Gee, I notice a lot of the “positive” posters who accuse many of negativity week-on-week are sticking the boots into Max King

Very interesting to see.

You’ve really bought into your supreme leader’s command to start blaming the list now haven’t you?

We had David Misson come out and admit the coaches are “confusing” the players on how to move the ball just a few weeks back.

How do you reckon it would be playing key forward in our team? I’ll give you a tip, it would be up there with the most horrible jobs in the world. Like pushing shit up a hill.

Our problem is gameplan, coaching and skill level. Our kicking is poor and our player movement is also too reliant on long bombs. Our forwards simply can’t predict what’s going to happen and it shows.

Keep tipping on Max and the list. You’ll get your way and have a Ross Lyon-led rebuild.

After hiring a (years) out-of-date coach tactics-wise, letting him hire everyone in the bloody joint, do you really think it’s smart to then give him the keys to a bottom-out rebuild?

It would be suicidal.

Stop blaming the list now. Look at what a modern tactically astute coach like Sam Mitchell is doing (his best midfielder? A midseason draft pick) with an average list. Their skills and decision making are a joy to watch. Like a different sport to the dirge Ross serves up.

Get a progressive coaching group in that you don’t hire over cognacs on a yacht. Have a proper hiring panel and demand the best technical coaches in the game. Develop our existing talent to their full potential.

Start putting heat on the club and Bassit for making such a shocking decision as getting a prehistoric coach back for a last dance.

It is not Ross Lyon FC. We don’t exist to revel in his press conferences. We exist to try and win Premierships.

anything to give the anti-ross agenda a spew, eh lol

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Know the feeling , iv spent over $800 this year just for me and have been to 2 games and I live 3 train stops from Marvel, that's how checked out I am.
I am totally convinced RTB is not the answer, you are never going to win a flag playing the way we do , take a look how hawthorn are playing, chalk and cheese

Really disciplined list build too. Have built a really good midfield and forward line and are cherry picking high output low profile players off other lists. Playing an exciting attacking game plan too which makes footy fun to watch.

Max King is a CHF and should never be wrestling in the goal square.

He's playing the way Ross played Kosi back in the day. Under GT he looked like a superstar potential player. Once Lyon arrived he was a deep post spiller. I'm not sure that King isn't doing what he's asked. We want players close to their man able to get on the defensive side of them to stop quick transition would be my guess.

That was a complete wank by him
I worked out why some players choose to do the round the corner sets shots from only slight angles a long time ago.

It mostly gets them off the hook for missing what should be a regulation goal for an AFL standard player. If they ran in straight and continually missed everyone would be all over them for having the yips.

If they miss a round the corner shot from in front, the commentators mostly just shrug it off, saying that they miscalculated the kick and got the angle wrong. In reality it's a cop out for a players who do it who are being paid big money to play the game and execute a basic skill. Higgins is a classic case.

The angled set shots have a place when kicking from near the boundary as it opens the goals up and increases the chances of kicking a goal.

But from a slight angle it's a wank as you say.

Very interesting to see.

It would be suicidal.

Still waiting for your head coach suggestions, or rival presidential campaign

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very interesting to see.

It would be suicidal.

Hawks have a midfield that present and run non-stop unlike some of our midfield players that can barely notch up 15 possessions each

They showed footage today of Horny Fracas winning the ball at half back and then putting on the afterburners to then win a free kick on the opposite side of the ground at their half forward ..... chasing him was Clark who all but gave up after 30m of chasing because I am guessing .... it all got a bit too hard

We know our midfield sucks hard but we now need to draft accordingly ..... draft mids who can run run run and who have decent ball and decision making skills

Hawks don't have any superstar mids but they all work hard and work together as a unit and they are reaping the benefits

Of course 18yos aren't going to have an immediate impact but we have to start somewhere

We already have a beginnings of a decent young team we just have to keep adding to it through smart drafting

Skills ... decision marking .... and lots of running power

I worked out why some players choose to do the round the corner sets shots from only slight angles a long time ago.

It mostly gets them off the hook for missing what should be a regulation goal for an AFL standard player. If they ran in straight and continually missed everyone would be all over them for having the yips.

If they miss a round the corner shot from in front, the commentators mostly just shrug it off, saying that they miscalculated the kick and got the angle wrong. In reality it's a cop out for a players who do it who are being paid big money to play the game and execute a basic skill. Higgins is a classic case.

The angled set shots have a place when kicking from near the boundary as it opens the goals up and increases the chances of kicking a goal.

But from a slight angle it's a wank as you say.
Most small forwards would have taken the straight forward set shot .... not our Snags though

It like a cat that chooses to pee in the corner rather than use its litter tray

It was like Sharman was sitting on the bench and said **** this I will show them how to play full forward when I get on
Sharman may never be the player we hoped when he played those first few games. But you have to admire his attitude. Just compare it to King's demeanor.

He's been regularly dropped back to Sandy, shunted all around the ground when he does play and often used as the sub. Yet he never seems to drop his bundle and tries his guts out.

He won me over with his recent stints at Sandy when he virtually won us games that looked gone. There was no coasting through. Are you listening Max?

If it was up to me he'd play every game for the rest of the year, preferably in one position. At least you know what you'll get.

Last edited:
All the talk of us tanking for early draft picks.

Our best 3 players today that look like they care were Marshall, Sinclair and Wilkie and they were all rookie or late draft picks.

Most of our early draft picks have been busts and then you have Hill who cost us a King's ransom in money and early draft picks.

Hill looks like he couldn't give a single f*** about us winning, he is just there for the money and getting a nice easy pay cheque.

Our best 3 players today that look like they care were Marshall, Sinclair and Wilkie and they were all rookie or late draft picks.

Most of our early draft picks have been busts and then you have Hill who cost us a King's ransom in money and early draft picks.

Hill looks like he couldn't give a single f*** about us winning, he is just there for the money and getting a nice easy pay cheque.
Hill was incredible today. Having a damn good season. He is always presenting in good spots for his team mates when they're under pressure.

Jesus, he's the closest thing we've had to young star in 20 years. Nas isn't anywhere near an issue. Some of the stuff he's doing in his 55th game would put him up there with some of the best in the comp.
Christ you can't read , I never said he was an issue or he is no good, maybe go back and read again before you go off half cocked as always

The decision to appoint Lyon and a bunch of ex-St Kilda sycophants is looking more and more Trump like every day. Club is in real trouble and unfortunately pick 3 or 4 is not going to change much.

We have nailed one first round pick in 15 years. We have recruited flaky players and held on to a number of players for 5 years too long. In my view, we have the worst list in the AFL, an olden time coach and a board that had fully bought into the return to 2009 story.

Can rip the bandaid off now or go another 5 years and merge with Roos in 29. To be honest, a merge is the best chance we have of a flag in the next 20 years.

And just BTW. How does North, who won a flag in 1996, get a bunch of priority picks before St Kida who are 58 years without a flag?

Higgins kicked some beautiful drop campaigner goals against the Lions, why tf did he go all Harry McKay around the body

Next week will probably be Brad Hill's 100th game as a Saint. Hope the club makes it an occasion, because after a slow start I think he's been great for the club, Lyon is getting the best out of him that's for sure.

Hawks have a midfield that present and run non-stop unlike some of our midfield players that can barely notch up 15 possessions each

They showed footage today of Horny Fracas winning the ball at half back and then putting on the afterburners to then win a free kick on the opposite side of the ground at their half forward ..... chasing him was Clark who all but gave up after 30m of chasing because I am guessing .... it all got a bit too hard

We know our midfield sucks hard but we now need to draft accordingly ..... draft mids who can run run run and who have decent ball and decision making skills

Hawks don't have any superstar mids but they all work hard and work together as a unit and they are reaping the benefits

Of course 18yos aren't going to have an immediate impact but we have to start somewhere

We already have a beginnings of a decent young team we just have to keep adding to it through smart drafting

Skills ... decision marking .... and lots of running power

Newcombe might not be a star name but he's Brownlow quality. Will Day is the most underrated player in footy, for impact he's as good as it gets. Then Connor Nash, Worpol and Amon outside who are all able to get 30 touches a game if someone else is struggling. They run deep and high quality.

Dylan Moore and Ginnivan both peel up with the play too. Moore has turned elite just about this year.

Sicily, Hardwick, McKenzie, Weddle, Chol, Jiath, The Wizzard, D'Ambrosio, Morrison, Meek are all good players with more left to get out of them and Mitch Lewis still to fit back in.

They are so much closer to a flag than us right now. They have quietly built their list up quickly by clever trades and drafting. They got a core together while we were bringing in guys like Hill and Howard.

Battle would make them very close to a top 6 side from what is currently a fringe of the 8 side. Development should see them jump hard in the next few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 16, 2024: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back