Review Round 16 - Collingwood @ PF Stadium - 29th June 2024 - 4:35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon we got bigger problems than Holmans selection.

Maybe his other 21 teammates can actually do something for once
This
Nick is and always has been selected 18-22
His wage reflects his status
He never has been and never will be a match winner but he will give 100% trying to carry out team orders
We need the the guys picked 1-12 to start decreasing the delta between their best and worst
And bloody quickly

e2fb1b0e28ce8ebe91b02f730f976039.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's a pretty strong team tbh, Collingwood are flying but it's on our home deck. Should be a close game, but we definitely have the cattle to win this
I'm not convinced our forwards will kick enough goals but I'd be disappointed if we dont give it a fair shake
That's a pretty shit HF line
Swallow Day Berry.
Hall of Fame right there

Last edited:
Umpires are
2-Nick Foot Tasmania
3-Leigh Fisher VFL
11-Curtis Deboy SA
33-Brent Wallace VFL

I will be watching everything you do Fisher and Wallace

Very relieved to see King's name on that list. The last time we played a three tall forward line of King, Luko and Day we smashed Geelong by 64 points. Luko kicked 5, King kicked 4 and Day kicked 3. Humphrey also kicked 5 in that game and Long had 2. It was a very good night for our forward line last time we played these guys together.

How good it would be to sing the song on Saturday night
You’ll at least get to sing that pre game pump up song burning ring of fire

Him and Berry are the same player and between them combine for less than a goal a game…

Not sure what the deal is with berry he’s scared to have a shot for goal. So many times in the forward 50 with ball in hand and looking to pass it off every time instead of having a shot

This
Nick is and always has been selected 18-22
His wage reflects his status
He never has been and never will be a match winner but he will give 100% trying to carry out team orders
We need the the guys picked 1-12 to start decreasing the delta between their best and worst
And bloody quickly
Holman is in the same class as Berry and Long. None do enough but we keep picking one, two or all three. None should survive the cull that will come over the next year or two. I'd still be looking to get Rankine back as he only has one more year (2025) and if Adelaide keep stinking it up - there's a chance. He would make the forward line from a small mid / forward perspective.

I'm not convinced our forwards will kick enough goals but I'd be disappointed if we dont give it a fair shake
That's a pretty shit HF line
Swallow Day Berry.
Hall of Fame right there
Unlucky to get all their names back in BUT it's a game we should at least have a good chance of winning. Last two games though fill me with dread - so hoping for a win but not surprised if we do our annual thing and fold up the tents. Prove me wrong boys!

Without little doubt, our main problem this year so far is a midfield which is quite disappointing and surprising to a point.
For sure, a player like Rioli would be handy for rebound but is not critical for our team improvement. Without midfield functioning properly, we are in trouble as any team would be.

Why is that? I don't think it's a talent issue. Yes, we are learning a new system, but it was now 14 games and our midfield look and stats are getting progressively worse (lost clearances in 4 of the last 5 games). Players look unsure about roles, what to do. We are now also losing contest, supposedly our strength. Yes, there is some fluctuation in form. But for me it's on coaches. No willingness to adjust or too late changes, not running more people through are just examples. Oppositions now know how to play us in the middle. To see that we were able to mix it up in the last quarters in the last 2 games is giving me a hope, but time is running out this season.

Earn big bugs, Dimma. You got a lot talent on the team. Time to harness it and play some attractive footy. All that slow, cautious approach does not excite me.

Last edited:
Without little doubt, our main problem this year so far is a midfield which is quite disappointing and surprising to a point.
For sure, a player like Rioli would be handy for rebound but is not critical for our team improvement. Without midfield functioning properly, we are in trouble as any team would be.

Why is that? I don't think it's a talent issue. Yes, we are learning a new system, but it was now 14 games and our midfield look and stats are getting progressively worse (lost clearances in 4 of the last 5 games). Players look unsure about roles, what to do. We are now also losing contest, supposedly our strength. Yes, there is some fluctuation in form. But for me it's on coaches. No willingness to adjust or too late changes, not running more people through are just examples. Oppositions now know how to play us in the middle. To see that we were able to mix it up in the last quarters in the last 2 games is giving me a hope, but time is running out this season.

Earn big bugs, Dimma. You got a lot talent on the team. Time to harness it and play some attractive footy. All that slow, cautious approach does not excite me.
I don't know whether anyone else agrees but I have always felt that Witts (great servant etc) has never really palmed the ball to advantage. He has always tended to just drop the ball at his feet - Rowell etc rush in take possession but immediately gets tackled and struggles to clear the ball or break free into open space. Gawn etc and others always attempt to tap to advantage - players on the run or in the clear - and this is what I hope Moyle can bring to the game plan. Play is congested enough already without letting the ball drop at the feet - surrounded by oppo and our own mid field - and then it's a real struggle to get it out in the congestion and close body stuff that goes on. Played ruck in a galxy far far away so I have some knowledge of which I speak - so don't berate me.

Maybe this sounds harsh, but if Holman gives 100%, he should be doing more for that... Never seen a bloke try so hard for so little impact; no possession, no score impact, loses his man all the time and lets them rebound. Rogers has almost as many average tackles as him. I feel his “tackle” ability has been severely overrated.

Opposition teams walk it out because none of their halfbacks are accountable for our forwards and can just peel off and rebound.

It’s not just “tackle pressure.” Score goals and then they will be afraid to take the game on if it means leaving their player open.

Long story short, need more from him and Berry. Genuine liabilities the last month when it comes to scoreboard pressure. Let Holman take a tagging role on a HB at least, to try and use his “strengths”.
Holman is in the same class as Berry and Long. None do enough but we keep picking one, two or all three. None should survive the cull that will come over the next year or two. I'd still be looking to get Rankine back as he only has one more year (2025) and if Adelaide keep stinking it up - there's a chance. He would make the forward line from a small mid / forward perspective.
Long is by far better than the other two. Kicks goals, at least. And is pretty accurate. Sadly, him and Swallow our our best small forwards who are fit.
I don't know whether anyone else agrees but I have always felt that Witts (great servant etc) has never really palmed the ball to advantage. He has always tended to just drop the ball at his feet - Rowell etc rush in take possession but immediately gets tackled and struggles to clear the ball or break free into open space. Gawn etc and others always attempt to tap to advantage - players on the run or in the clear - and this is what I hope Moyle can bring to the game plan. Play is congested enough already without letting the ball drop at the feet - surrounded by oppo and our own mid field - and then it's a real struggle to get it out in the congestion and close body stuff that goes on. Played ruck in a galxy far far away so I have some knowledge of which I speak - so don't berate me.
Nah I agree. He is a predictable ruckman. Good opposition mids just rove him easily. Has been this way for some time.

I don't know whether anyone else agrees but I have always felt that Witts (great servant etc) has never really palmed the ball to advantage. He has always tended to just drop the ball at his feet -
He was actually coached to do that when he arrived because the only chance we had of winning a clearance then was an in and under tussle
Any attempt at tap to advantage was just feeding the ball to the opposition's elite runners
Now we have some A grade mids it seems his muscle memory can't rejig to take advantage of their skillset

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly the Holman inclusion is to try and keep the ball locked in the forwardline. Either as a fresh sub or hunting from the start with Berry and Long. Freo walked it out in transition last week Hopefully the dropping has sparked some fire in him. Considering he hasn’t been the Holman of old this year

And if we couldn’t stop Freo walking it out… Collingwood basically scored in transition against us every time last year

Been some people ‘politely’ requesting that out favourite Collingwood supporter stays away from our board this week.

Just wanna say, Jen2310 , you always welcome here. You aint put a foot out of place once, have cheered proudly alongside us Suns supporters in the away cheer squad, and more often than not are the first to break any Suns news.

Have spoken to Big Red Machine and he us agreeing fully. You want Jen off the board, you gotta fight us first!

Keep doing you girl. The only flaw in your life is you bring yourself to wear that black and white crap! Don’t worry what anyone says!

Been some people ‘politely’ requesting that out favourite Collingwood supporter stays away from our board this week.

Just wanna say, Jen2310 , you always welcome here. You aint put a foot out of place once, have cheered proudly alongside us Suns supporters in the away cheer squad, and more often than not are the first to break any Suns news.

Have spoken to Big Red Machine and he us agreeing fully. You want Jen off the board, you gotta fight us first!

Keep doing you girl. The only flaw in your life is you bring yourself to wear that black and white crap! Don’t worry what anyone says!

For the record Jen I’m not in that group
I did say that comment about you probably making a condescending comment if/when Collingwood win but I sure haven’t wanted you silenced that’s for sure.

OR if it was to do with me being included then the interpretation is off because I wouldn’t want you silenced. No way.

Last edited:

I am Big Red Machine

And I co-sign this message.

Go Suns

For the record Jen I’m not in that group
I did say that comment about you probably making a condescending comment if/when Collingwood win but I sure haven’t wanted you silenced that’s for sure.

OR if it was to do with me being included then the interpretation is off because I wouldn’t want you silenced. No way.
Its all good Bods. I would never do that. I have too much respect for the people here; plus, that's not in my personality or DNA nature to do so.
You've only have my support. Win, lose or draw.

Jen2310 I think it goes without saying that I’m not apart of the “group”. You’ve been nothing but lovely, kind and supportive of us as a club and fan base. Having met you in person multiple times I can say there isn’t a mean or nasty bone in your body. I’m sad and disappointed to hear you’ve somehow alienated some people on this board and that you have been treated with such disdain. I’m not sure how as you’ve been so giving to us even to the extent where you have gone out of your way to sit on the sidelines at training for hours taking pictures to share with us and writing us many training reports. The real ones appreciate you.

I i can add is Jen is one of our best mods,
the unpaid work she does regarding training etc is brilliant.
She does a great job.

Jen2310 I think it goes without saying that I’m not apart of the “group”. You’ve been nothing but lovely, kind and supportive of us as a club and fan base. Having met you in person multiple times I can say there isn’t a mean or nasty bone in your body. I’m sad and disappointed to hear you’ve somehow alienated some people on this board and that you have been treated with such disdain. I’m not sure how as you’ve been so giving to us even to the extent where you have gone out of your way to sit on the sidelines at training for hours taking pictures to share with us and writing us many training reports. The real ones appreciate you.

Have always found her very respectful on here and never crossed the line given how easy it can be for big club supporters to take the low hanging fruit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back