Review Round 16 = Gold Coast 101-90 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuinely curious for answers but is this going to be our “brand” of football now forever?
Constantly outmarked. The constant “late quarter comeback” BS.

At what point is the club going to take a hard look at itself as to why that’s not really an acceptable standard. It’s not a one off - it’s a repeatable exercise of playing like amateurs for the majority of the match and then suddenly showing up in the last quarter.

Pies deserved to lose and clearly nothing so far has served as a wake up call. The “well needed break” clearly also did nothing.

Kangas. Last in the comp. Thumped us and we stole a win.
GC. 2nd last in the comp. Thumped us all night.

So again - has this become our brand? Because it’s not cool with me. Play properly and with purpose from minute one. Not the last quarter.
No, i dont believe it is our brand.
You must take into account where the team is at in terms of injuries, personnel returning, etc.
We won a flag last year.
So we clearly know the formula for addressing our effort/pressure levels over 4 quarters.
Calm down, and wait for next week.

Yeah fair call. None the less at least half of what I said remains accurate.

The whole “we only play for real in the last quarter” is getting old. It’s not to a professional standard. It’s a record on repeat that nobody seems to have questioned enough.
We are 2 pts off 3rd despite our injury crisis. Don’t leave melb again. We are fine.

Play Russian Roulette often enough, you’re gonna end up dead.

We can’t keep giving up big leads and expecting to be able to click our fingers and reel them in.

We are especially poor in the games when we go in as favourites. We need to become ruthless in burying the sides below us on the ladder but instead we give everyone a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I don't think we have shown enough evolution in our mentality/game at this point in time.

Wouldn’t mind flipping their roles with Sullivan starting as sub. Suspect one will make way for Schultz if McCreery gets up for next week though

Richards coming off a broken foot and a number of weeks with limited training. Likely wouldn’t have even made the trip if Schultz hadn’t been ill. Would more likely have had managed minutes at VFL level. Thought he contributed well when he got his chance, but we’ll never know if he had a full 4 quarters in him.

Last edited:
The Suns’ remaining home games; Port, Brisbane and Melbourne.

Only Brisbane’s game is likely to be of any help to us.

Carltank unsurprisingly played the Suns at Marvel.

The loss of Murphy is still hurting. I know that sounds like a poor excuse, but he was the perfect complement to Moore and our defence structure. Footballers come and go, but we spent years developing him and when he finally held down his position midway through 2022, the best of Collingwood under Fly emerged.

Sad sooky rant over.

I think much of the side is lacking the 2023 chemistry. I think the constant changing of the lineup (largely due to injury) the biggest impact on that. Hopefully we start to see a more settled lineup going forward.

Our “Bigs” on every line really were non competitive and lazy in choosing when to go and when to put in repeat efforts.

Really disappointing games in particular from Mihocek, Cameron and Frampton because they were all comprehensively beaten and led to the ball all day long.

Noble’s last month also has been poor in that he has lost his legs to run and carry and drive.
He should watch Naicos and maybe even spend a summer training with him because he just wills himself and powers with his legs every chance he gets even when you think he shouldn’t have to…..he just continues to gut run and it’s no surprise the best 5-6 players in the game right now all have this trait in terms of just power running from contest to contest in the Sydney trio of Heeney, Warner and Gulden, Naicos, Bont and Sam Walsh.

The other area for concern is also the F50 in terms of how it’s functioning as a collective.
Ball bounces out of there far too easily the last 2-3 weeks.
the opposition getting to the drop of the ball and sweeping it out far too easily.

A hard watch on also the opposition tactics in the coming stretch of games regarding how teams opt to play against us.
There’s a pattern in trying to keep the ball off us by going short and through us either by uncontested marks or today —handball chain —which normally we swarm all over —but we were outnumbered in every chain today.
Teams don’t really want to get into a running open flow type game against us and are prepared to make the ground big and keep the ball away from us and our numbers.
We sag off and roll back and contribute to this method hoping to sweat on a turnover that’s too far up the ground by the time it may potentially come as opposed to try and squeeze up and try to turn it over within 70m of goal max as opposed to 100-120m from goal or even deeper in our back 50.

We need to keep our smaller players higher closer to goal and not roll them up so high up the ground and try to catch them on the way back all the time.
Jeremy Howe playing forward is the way to go too and should start there and swing back only if needed, not start back and swing forward to chase a game like it is at moment…he is the only real natural in leading to the ball carrier rather than always running to get it out the back.
The rest of our forwards should spent some time and watch his patterns on leading up.

It’s a long season and the results again so far this round show it’s all open for the taking for anyone

Play Russian Roulette often enough, you’re gonna end up dead.

We can’t keep giving up big leads and expecting to be able to click our fingers and reel them in.

We are especially poor in the games when we go in as favourites. We need to become ruthless in burying the sides below us on the ladder but instead we give everyone a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Favoritism goes where the money goes. You only have to look at the massive profits betting agencies make to realize punters aren’t a great guage.

Lost the game at selection. Starting Sullivan over Richards and playing Markov over Dean was foolish.

Our back line is a serious issue and needs to be rectified in trade week

The loss we deserve. On to next week

Yeah not sure on Sullivan has been very quiet for an extended period imo.

Reef and Fin Mc would of been dropped by now and twice on Sundays given the same output.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had one goal kicked on him today by his opponent. The second Lukosius goal he wasn’t even on the ground and was due to an IQ turnover.

Do you know every goal kicked against us doesn’t get automatically recorded against Darcy?

You need to do better research.
Agree - the incessant, and naive knee jerk reactions targeting Darcy are just ridiculous.

Last edited:
We aren't winning a flag playing like that. Better off playing without the blokes that came back in. Gave them the win at the end. I've run out of superlatives.

We need the "100% on factor" to win games. Slow starts will have us coming hard at the end but the whole win by a goal we have done for 2 years won't last forever, it's literally one missed mark, kick, handball, goal, point away from a reverse record.

200 pressure ratings for 2-3 quarters to win games.
Our pressure and individual brilliance of passages of play, creates scores.

Agree - the incessant, and naive knee jerk reactions targeting Darcy are just ridiculously.

He is often out of position to be helping his team mates this season, has been poor 1v1, and has had goals kicked against him on hand over opponents.

Moores form for near 2 years has been middling at best.

Frampton copping a bit of a caning here but aside from one or two situations I thought he was reasonable. Our team defence makes him (and Dean) look bad because too often it leaves them trying to guard two or three players whilst manning the most imposing forward.

Thought Howe was worse defensively but obviously when he went forward he was absolutely immense for us so can’t be too critical overall. Quaynor had a horrific outing too.
I can’t excuse his poor second efforts and failure to compete resulting in King running into an open goal and their sealer where he just stayed on the ground.
It was poor - he needs to demonstrate urgency and push himself into second and third efforts.

The center set up with 3 mins to go after we hit the lead was a poor choice.

Nick, Degoey and even Pendles are not lock it in types or brute mids to feed another outside mid.

They are very similar in how they win the ball.

We played to a losing ruck so that combination was not suited to "winning" the ball.
210cm Witts had fed the GC mids first use foe much of the night, we needed strong physical bodies in there. It was a poor tactical move by coaching group.

Last edited:
I can’t excuse his poor second efforts and failure to compete resulting in King running into an open goal and their sealer where he just stayed on the ground.
It was poor - he needs to demonstrate urgency and push himself into second and third efforts.
Yes needs to improve his desperation when initially beaten or impeded.

He is often out of position to be helping his team mates this season, has been poor 1v1, and has had goals kicked against him on hand over opponents.

Moores form for near 2 years has been middling at best.
Rubbish - he was AA last year and his one in one stats are still good.

His rebound has dropped off this year but I reckon that effected by injuries and the mix.

You can’t just get beaten to the ball all game, out run, pushed aside - but play 15 mins of good footy - and expect a win.

I reckon us pinching another win with minimal intensity would have been no good for us anyway.

It's our modus operandi for near on 2 years.

1-2 goals in 11 wins in 2023 was the difference between being premiers and bottom 4.

Rubbish - he was AA last year and his one in one stats are still good.

His rebound has dropped off this year but I reckon that effected by injuries and the mix.
Rubbish.

He was living off reputation. Most pundits had him not playing to well for much of last year and most of this.

His confidence to back himself and mark has gone to crap when tonight he spoiled double fisted in Q1 out of bounds instead of backing himself and marking.

His positioning often had him high up the ground caught out in no man's land on rebound.

When on hand over is often trailing the opponent.

1v1 imo has not been good for years.

Moore best footy came as that peeling defender coming across the pack.

His dash off hb has died in the arse and his kicking has been wayward for 18 months.

It's our modus operandi for near on 2 years.

1-2 goals in 11 wins in 2023 was the difference between being premiers and bottom 4.
I think that’s simplistic. Last year we shot out of the blocks and got good early leads usually. We let teams back in often but had the energy to fight back.

There weren’t many wins where we got flogged all day and had to fight back.

Rubbish.

He was living off reputation. Most pundits had him not playing to well for much of last year and most of this.

His confidence to back himself and mark has gone to crap when tonight he spoiled double fisted in Q1 out of bounds instead of backing himself and marking.

His positioning often had him high up the ground caught out in no man's land on rebound.

When on hand over is often trailing the opponent.

1v1 imo has not been good for years.

Moore best footy came as that peeling defender coming across the pack.

His dash off hb has died in the arse and his kicking has been wayward for 18 months.
Now you’re just making crap up

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 16 = Gold Coast 101-90 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back