Review Round 16 = Gold Coast 101-90 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Was really a fumble night.

Don’t fumble and we win.
Fumble fumble fumble.

Pretty sure the umps will have “oops” moments when they watch to replay. Hardly the reason.,,:but annoying!!!!

Agree. That was the difference. They were really clean with the ground ball gets, we fumbled a lot. They also held shape really well outside the contest while we were sucked into them, so when the footy was forced out it was invariably to a GCS player in space with team mates also clear on transition.

No I don’t. He has way more ability than what his output is in 2024. Like I said, I’m struggling to understand what his role is or what it is we want from him. He should have been playing on King. Is he or is he not our premier defender? If we are keeping him away from the best forwards so we get intercept marks or drive off the backline then it’s failed time & time again. We don’t get anywhere near enough from him in 2024.
So he’s to blame for who the coaches are playing him on?

I’ll tell you this one thing about intercept marking as a general rule. I’d like you and a few others here to pay some attention to this.

Ready?

Ok - intercepting is largely reliant upon pressure from upfield.

There you have it. Think about this when the ball gets pumped and pumped into our forward line with little pressure.

Now we reset.
We have no more byes and our travelling is all but over.
Of our eight games remaining, seven are at the MCG.
We’ve only played at the G twice in past eight weeks. It feels like we’ve been playing all over the place, copping injuries and generally just hanging onto our form.
Now the run to finish begins and we can get some continuity going.
Seven of the eight left are at the G. That gives me some positive vibes.
The MCG factor is definitely positive, but gee it’s a tough run home. Has to be the hardest of anyone, surely? Double ups against 3 teams vying for top 2, plus red hot teams in Brisbane and Hawthorn.

Important moment, we get the lead with 4 minutes to go.

Get the center clearance and ball ends up with Sidebottom. He basically kicks towards the boundary rather than kicking towards the goals.

Then we made a couple mistakes and down 11 within 2 minutes.

Seems like we were playing it safe straight out of that clearance. If we were down a point, Sidey would have kicked it to the top of the square.

Turning point.

I haven't checked out the stats for the game yet but without knowing all of that I thought we were destroyed out of the center all night (might be wrong but it felt that way), we just couldn't get first use of the ball enough. I thought Pendles, Checkers and DeGoey just looked short of a gallop even though they all did some good things at various stages. Our midfielders seemed far too loose for 3 qtrs even for our standards and just didn't work hard enough to give us the opportunites to build a lead, even though our forwards butchered many chances.

Our defenders in one-on-one situations were diabolical and were the difference in the end I thought. Now, i am aware that sluggish midfield pressure is a defenders nightmare and we were sluggish for most of the night (did Crisp get a kick??) but they really do need to learn the one-on-one aspect of the game far better and I'm looking at Moore & Frampton mostly. They need to be more reliable here, we conceded 31 scoring shots. I do have to be fair as their mids were cutting paths through our for most of the night and they were caught off guard a lot, so I will give them an out, but still they didn't and never look comfortable in one-on-ones.

But, in the end I knew we would mount a final qtr comeback, we all knew we would because we always do. i just wished we could have played Q1,2 & 3 a little better and took a 1 or 2 goal deficit into the last, it just proved too much this time. I really don't think we can rely on these comebacks this season. It doesn't feel like lightning would strike twice in that regard. When we get a full squad back up and going can we become THE team that puts sides away? I think we need to step up a gear this season to do it. We are off the pace but with time to improve.

Overall I was disappointed in the loss, I thought we had this game but just didn't fire the shots until it was a bit too late. It was a winnable game but we were just not good enough with key players coming back that were clearly underdone. Anyway, can't win them all I suppose.

Last edited:
Didn’t deserve to win, and we didn’t 🤣

Richard’s seems best 23, Sullivan has cooled.

Markov seems out of touch, would like to see Reef have a crack at that spot - he has pace and height.

Seems like unless N Daicos plays a blinder we can’t get it done.

Moore hasn’t had a big game in what feels like a year. You know, intercept marking and rebounding with those long bounding runs.

We need some players back and some tough calls at the selection table, a few favourites getting an easier ride than they should.

Now we reset.
We have no more byes and our travelling is all but over.
Of our eight games remaining, seven are at the MCG.
We’ve only played at the G twice in past eight weeks. It feels like we’ve been playing all over the place, copping injuries and generally just hanging onto our form.
Now the run to finish begins and we can get some continuity going.
Seven of the eight left are at the G. That gives me some positive vibes.

Honestly we just need to bring effort and we should be fine

Fly has alluded to this before. When we bring our pressure we generally win but when that effort is off we get exposed

My disappointment comes from the fact that coming off the bye, we were the team that looked tired

Maybe.

But whether it isn't it won't distract from Darcy Moore's performances and those questions around his performances are being increasingly asked.
Them being asked from you can be questioned.

You’re welcome to post when we win btw. Try it next week 👍

Honestly we just need to bring effort and we should be fine

Fly has alluded to this before. When we bring our pressure we generally win but when that effort is off we get exposed

My disappointment comes from the fact that coming off the bye, we were the team that looked tired

The bye actually takes a lot out of you. Sun, Surf, fine dinning, couple of wines….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Unfortunately Frampton is probably not the crack key defender that we like to imagine him to be. He was well beaten by both King and Lukosius tonight. Moore seemed to trail his opponent all night. Our smaller defenders were also underwhelming. Although I am sure there is much more to the loss than our defence being beaten by better opposition.
Frampton was incredibly poor.

He has had to be moved when Darcy has been exposed this year and done well and he was able to keep Daniher honest for once earlier this year.

But his lack of mobility can be exposed against your King's. He just didn't appear switched on either, not just trailing him inside 50 off slow plays, but his reactions including no follow up chase in the 3rd to pressure his shot on goal or watching then remembering to chase the ball as they dribbled a goal over the line

I’ll tell you this one thing about intercept marking as a general rule. I’d like you and a few others here to pay some attention to this.

Ready?

There you have it. Think about this when the ball gets pumped and pumped into our forward line with little pressure.
Everyone gets the blame huh, except your boy? If you can’t intercept then play on your man & beat him one on one regardless of the pressure upfield. His 2023 form & 2024 form are miles apart. If you can’t see that it’s because you don’t want to.

Didn’t deserve to win, and we didn’t 🤣

Richard’s seems best 23, Sullivan has cooled.

Markov seems out of touch, would like to see Reef have a crack at that spot - he has pace and height.

Seems like unless N Daicos plays a blinder we can’t get it done.

Moore hasn’t had a big game in what feels like a year. You know, intercept marking and rebounding with those long bounding runs.

We need some players back and some tough calls at the selection table, a few favourites getting an easier ride than they should.

I’ve given up asking for Steele to be dropped. I’ve been beating that dead horse for most of the season now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frampton was incredibly poor.

He has had to be moved when Darcy has been exposed this year and done well and he was able to keep Daniher honest for once earlier this year.

But his lack of mobility can be exposed against your King's. He just didn't appear switched on either, not just trailing him inside 50 off slow plays, but his reactions including no follow up chase in the 3rd to pressure his shot on goal or watching then remembering to chase the ball as they dribbled a goal over the line
It’s like New Year’s Eve for you.

Anyone else fascinated by the hyperbole every time the suns beat us? How it's the best win of their history? I swear every time that irrelevant fake club beats us the overtop commentary is hilarious.

Frustrating game but we were shite and lost by two goals to a Hardwick team that hasn’t lost at home this year.

Not writing us off just yet, but next week is a genuine must-win.

Everyone gets the blame huh, except your boy? If you can’t intercept then play on your man & beat him one on one regardless of the pressure upfield. His 2023 form & 2024 form are miles apart. If you can’t see that it’s because you don’t want to.
He’s not playing as well as last year I’m not claiming that.

He’s not losing one on one’s anyway, or hardly any. He didn’t tonight - if you can find them then let me know.

What you are saying about beating a player one on one regardless of the pressure upfield is unrealistic. Every single defender in the league Can’t live up to that.

Ready?

Spot on. We really need to beef up our midfield for next year. We are almost all Nick Daicos. Every side we've played this year have fancied their midfield against ours. I reckon that's why our first halves have been ordinary

That five minute burst in the last quarter - Nick assisted goal, JDG goal, Nick goal - was some of the most incredible, amazing few minutes of brilliance by those two! :clapping: :clapping:
Then Kreuger goals to put us in front.
Not long after, the Suns come out of defence and there are no Collingwood defenders anywhere in the vicinity of their opponents. So very, very disappointing. :( Such a lack of accountability from the back half.
I guess it didn't help that Bruzzy and JFN were off the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 16 = Gold Coast 101-90 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back