Review Round 16 = Gold Coast 101-90 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Scoreboard flattered us tbf. End result was 11, but geez we were lucky it was not more, as it should have been. But guess when you only play 1 quarter a game, a loss is bound to happen.

Get back to work this week and respond come friday

Not ideal that Essendon too too, as they'll be looking to respond as well, so should make a very interesting friday night football.
You can talk about the scoreboard being flattering, but I'd suggest the meltdowns & concern would be worse if we'd lost by 8 goals like Bombers did, not 11 points.

Perspective.

If someone had told you that by round 16 we'd be 2 points from 3rd, and 4 points from 2nd having gone a large chunk of the year without players of the calibre of McStay, Checkers, Elliott, Pendles, Mitchell, JDG, Cox & a retired Murphy and losing at least 2 players through injury in almost every match, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

We have players who have had to step up in their absence who had hardly played seniors, if at all, prior to this year. Dean, Krueger, Sullivan, Harrison, Bytel, Richards, Allan, TJ, Parker.

I think it's been a monumental year considering the injuries we've had. And the good news is, those players are all starting to come back.
I’m not giving up on us just yet but Friday night is massive.
Need to get our mojo back.

Every game for every team fighting to play finals is massive.. particularly at this time of the year.

No different to any other year.
Sydney is the about the only team this year that could ease up slightly and still easily make top 4. Although as Freo proved yesterday, any team is beatable on their day.

Sydney is the about the only team this year that could ease up slightly and still easily make top 4. Although as Freo proved yesterday, any team is beatable on their day.
Exactly. Who would have thought when we drew against Dockers in WA with virtually our VFL side, that they could beat Swans at the SCG?

Agree, Witts was super around the ground and was involved in scoring chains as well while Cameron was nowhere.
I’m putting it down to a bad day for Cameron as he has had a very good year on the whole.
He struggles against the really strong rucks, but also had a down day around the ground.

We play a team and zone defence. The issue isn’t Moore in isolation. No defensive group will hold up given the supply GC forwards had yesterday.
Except that Murphy certainly played more one on one and seemingly was not so locked into a zone defence role. His absence from the defence has weakened its capacity to restrict taller forwards. Frampton is no substitute for Murphy.

Except that Murphy certainly played more one on one and seemingly was not so locked into a zone defence role. His absence from the defence has weakened its capacity to restrict taller forwards. Frampton is no substitute for Murphy.

Nah. Murphy was middle of the road one on one, storng players got him - he was outstanding in our system because he was so good at judging when to peel off and fully committed to and killed contests.

Nah. Murphy was middle of the road one on one, storng players got him - he was outstanding in our system because he was so good at judging when to peel off and fully committed to and killed contests.
I guess that is what I meant by one on one - he got to contests and killed them, either by marking or with a spoil, rather than trailing behind an opponent or being caught in no man's land allowing him to mark or do something productive with the ball. Say what you like, he was an infinitely better defender in the traditional sense of the word than either Moore or Frampton.

Losing several key players at once is much more devastating.
Tongiht was important because JDG, Pendles and Checkers got a warm up, and will be all the more powerful next week.
Genuinely curious for answers but is this going to be our “brand” of football now forever?
Constantly outmarked. The constant “late quarter comeback” BS.

At what point is the club going to take a hard look at itself as to why that’s not really an acceptable standard. It’s not a one off - it’s a repeatable exercise of playing like amateurs for the majority of the match and then suddenly showing up in the last quarter.

Pies deserved to lose and clearly nothing so far has served as a wake up call. The “well needed break” clearly also did nothing.

Kangas. Last in the comp. Thumped us and we stole a win.
GC. 2nd last in the comp. Thumped us all night.

So again - has this become our brand? Because it’s not cool with me. Play properly and with purpose from minute one. Not the last quarter.
I don't believe that this will be our brand. If you watch the presser, Fly looks absolutely angry and perplexed throughout as to why we are playing listlessly (especially in 2nd and 3rd quarters) and saving everything for a last qu comeback. I agree that it is perhaps assuming the form of a mental habit, which is extremely dangerous. But he, along with Jacqui Louder and the rest of the coaches, will be i am sure working all out to extirpate any such mindset over the next few week(s).

I don't believe that this will be our brand. If you watch the presser, Fly looks absolutely angry and perplexed throughout as to why we are playing listlessly (especially in 2nd and 3rd quarters) and saving everything for a last qu comeback. I agree that it is perhaps assuming the form of a mental habit, which is extremely dangerous. But he, along with Jacqui Louder and the rest of the coaches, will be i am sure working all out to extirpate any such mindset over the next few week(s).

I think way to much is being read into the last two first halfs. To me, we just succumbed to human nature - after a massive effort in the weeks leading up to the North game, we saw an easy game leading into the bye and relaxed. Then came back from holiday and took a while to get up to intensity. Pretty standard behaviour.

This year hasn't been about comebacks or winning thrillers - we should have won the two draws. This year has been a bad start and then a sustained block of effort to get us back into it, with what is hopefully only a blip of a lack of intensity around the bye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess that is what I meant by one on one - he got to contests and killed them, either by marking or with a spoil, rather than trailing behind an opponent or being caught in no man's land allowing him to mark or do something productive with the ball. Say what you like, he was an infinitely better defender in the traditional sense of the word than either Moore or Frampton.
If footy was an international sport, Murphy wouldn't have been close to the Australian team. Moore would be in it, alongside Weitering. He's a gun.

Despite all the criticism and the fact that he offers more as a forward ruck - the role we're currently missing - it's others the coaches have moved out of defence to plug that hole. That says a heap to me

hindsight is easy but Pendles didn't look right.

the attempted tackle in the last few minutes when he basically tried to backhand tackle to protect his arm was an alarm bell.

hindsight is easy but Pendles didn't look right.

the attempted tackle in the last few minutes when he basically tried to backhand tackle to protect his arm was an alarm bell.
also, that knock on to Bobby in the first that led to the WHE goal, he did that with his right hand. I thought at the time it was strange he didn't use his left, as he could have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back