Preview Round 17 2024 – GWS Giants vs Carlton, Saturday July 6, 7.30pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Well, this was not exactly a fun preview to write, as it’s hard to feel optimistic about the rest of the season after the last couple of months and last night in particular.

There’s been troubling signs for a while now, especially since the Saints game back in Round 5, when we allowed a run of six unanswered goals in the final quarter. It’s become a distressing pattern which was on display against the Swans last week and again last night, with an embarrassing run of seven unanswered goals in the second quarters.

We are just not clicking as a team the same way as last year. It appears the weight of expectation has been more than we can handle. The manic pressure and “anywhere, anytime” ethos has all but disappeared. Our problems are getting the ball forward and scoring more than anything else. It's reflected in our efficiency inside 50, which was way down last night.

We usually spend a lot of time in these previews discussing what changes might improve the team. The problem is, whoever gets chosen, it doesn’t make any difference.

Everyone thought the return of Coniglio and Perryman at the expense of Angwin and Peatling would be an improvement, but that is questionable. Coniglio’s output was noticeably below standard as was Perryman's, although Cumming performed well enough on his return to seniors. Whether he was better than X would have been is unclear. And it says something that Ward, at the age of 34, was one of our best.

Moving forward, we’ll almost certainly recall Cadman this week at the expense of Gruzewski, who had even less impact last night than Cadman was having before he got dropped.

I think Aleer should be given a break. Putting him up against Curnow and McKay would brave, to say the least. We need our most experienced defenders possible, so I would start Himmelberg at full back and Cumming at half back. Perryman can start in the centre.

Harvey Thomas was a little quiet last night. Perhaps Darcy Jones could give us a bit of zip, he was pretty good in the VFL win against Southport.

FB [39] Connor Idun, [44] Jack Buckley, [27] Harry Himmelberg
HB [6] Lachie Whitfield, [13] Isaac Cumming, [7] Lachie Ash
C [8] Callan Ward, [12] Tom Green, [21] Harry Perryman
HF [16] Brent Daniels, [26] Jake Riccardi, [14] Toby Bedford
FF [4] Toby Greene, [23] Jesse Hogan, [46] Callum M. Brown
FOL [32] Kieren Briggs, [3] Stephen Coniglio, [17] Finn Callaghan
INT [33] Xavier O’Halloran, [02] Darcy Jones, [28] Harvey Thomas, [5] Aaron Cadman

Carlton have been running hot and are coming off a 10-goal win against cellar-dwellers Richmond. They're the most likely challenger to Sydney as things stand at present.

They come here as favourites, but it's our home game. We can win if we're hungry enough.

Come on Giants. Get your mojo back.

I was looking forward to actually making it to this one, an early afternoon game, no commitments, the eldest's games are on pause for school holidays. Now it looks like we'll be up in western Queensland for a funeral for my wife's grandfather (just had his 92nd birthday and wasn't doing great, so not unexpected but not fun). It's not been a great season for actually making it to games despite the kids being reinvested this year.

We are going to get spanked.
Yep. Geez it’s been a year of lack of leadership from our senior core. The only senior player who has stood up consistently has been Hogan.
Toby - worst form of the last 10 years. Kelly and Cogs - injury. Whitfield and HH - poor in the contest. Taylor - injuries. Ward - up and down (kicked it the wrong way in one game).

The whole club got ahead of themselves, thinking they’d make finals. Now they lost their hunger for the contest.

Kingsley and the coaches are also to blame imo. Some of the language has not been honest enough (publicly anyway).

What's the bet that it's close to even at quarter time, then Carlton go nuts in the 2nd kicking around 6 in a row whilst we get a few behinds?

i.e. same bat time, same bat channel

Adding to the doom and gloom, we have won only 1 of our last 5 matches against Carlton, and have lost our last two games against them at Giants Stadium.

However, Carlton is one of the only 3 teams with whom we have a historical winning record against since our inception as we have an overall 10-7 win record against them (only Gold Coast has a worse record against us).

We should also break our current crowd record for a match against Carlton in our home ground- the current record is 10,355 that was set in 2016.

What's the bet that it's close to even at quarter time, then Carlton go nuts in the 2nd kicking around 6 in a row whilst we get a few behinds?

i.e. same bat time, same bat channel

Can see it happening as it's happened a number of times this season against us. Carlton, Swans and Saints game this season had a number of unanswered quickfire goals against us in a quarter from memory, may be others I've overlooked.

Carlton did it in the 3rd quarter against Richmond yesterday, too.

Last edited:
Send Snooze to Walsh. Negate his run. Tell Green to play the most accountable footy on Cripps he’s ever played. And tell the whole team to switch on for four bloody quarters.

Skipper backs Giants to bounce back despite 'mental drain' of season​

The Giants' drop-off since winning their first five games has been alarming, but Toby Greene says they know what they need to do to rediscover the spark

By Daniel Garb
Just now

GREATER Western Sydney is refusing to wane on its belief that they can figure in premiership calculations, but captain Toby Greene admits that the frustrations of their recent form slump are starting to come to the surface.

Saturday night's 16-point defeat to Adelaide was the Giants' sixth loss in eight games, and after pumping their chest about their premiership aspirations from the start of pre-season, they now sit in 10th place with eight games left before finals.

Their performance against the Crows once again lacked the fanatical pressure that the Giants had for such a large part of last season, with Adelaide kicking seven goals to one in the second term to take the game away from them.

"The seasons getting pretty crucial now, we're well aware of that. It's happened two weeks in a row now having consecutive goals kicked against us, it's really disappointing, especially as a captain," Greene told AFL.com.au.

"Everyone wants to win and be part of something special as much as ever. We're just down on form, down on confidence and sometimes it's hard to get yourself out of that but I wouldn't say our desire or determination has wavered."

Greater Western Sydney's dramatic drop off - not only from its preliminary final run last year but also the early part of the season where it won its first five games - is alarming and has raised questions as to whether mental fatigue is starting to show in their performances.

"The mental drain of the season is real and it might be down for a week or two here or there but it can't be down for as long as we've been," Greene said.

Giants vice-captain Josh Kelly said it was "unrealistic" to expect the side to always have the same momentum.

"We're going through that patch where things aren't easy, it's a defining part of our season, we've just got to roll with that, understand that's part of it, hold each other accountable to a high standard and hopefully come out the other side," Kelly said.

With three goals and 16 disposals against Adelaide, Greene had one of his best games for the season.

But in a year where he's become a father for the first time and his side's form has waned dramatically, Greene, along with coach Adam Kingsley, are learning a lot about leadership in their second years in the role.

"Georgia (Greene's partner) cops the sleep issues (with a newborn) more than me, I've been fine," Greene said.

"I feel really good, my body feels good, I'm just trying to ensure we get going.

"It's probably something I haven't experienced in my time (as captain), dealing with expectations, dealing with players who are stressed. That's different, but we're well aware of what we need to do.

"He's (Kingsley) probably frustrated with us and frustrated with how we're going but it doesn't show come Monday. We speak openly about what's happened and acknowledge how we need to get better."

Fading confidence is not ideal for the Giants ahead of a Saturday night test at Engie Stadium with second-placed Carlton, who has won its last five games.

Young forward Aaron Cadman looks set for a recall in attack, likely for Max Gruzewski, while speedster Darcy Jones may also win a spot after a strong VFL performance.

Xavier O'Halloran and James Peatling are others who will come into the mix.

Forward Callum Brown, who has only kicked two goals in four games since returning from suspension, may be in danger of losing his spot as he looks to recapture his early-season form.

"It's as big as it gets (playing Carlton). They're flying," Kelly said.

"They bring a lot of pressure around the footy, they've got the two big key forwards, they're strong down back, so they're a pretty complete team.

"If we want to have that belief in ourselves (that they can still challenge for the flag), these games are the ones that really matter."

Greene agreed, saying it was a "huge" game for the club in the context of their season.

"We know the enormity of it," he said.

"I wouldn’t say it's be-all and end-all here, but it's an extremely important game."

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If memory serves me correctly, we needed to beat Carlton in the last round last season to ensure a spot in the finals. We subsequently came out and smacked them in front of their home fans.

It's a different time in the season this year, but you feel it's an equally important game to win if we're going to make the top 8. Let's hope history repeats.

Coniglio and Perryman will be better for the run and apart from Taylor we have a healthy list to select from - there are no excuses this week. Let's make a statement and get the season back on track.

I'd bring Cadman in for Gruzewski and possibly Jones for Thomas or McMullin.

The matchups for McKay and Curnow will be critical.

We rely on tall, agile but not so physically imposing defenders which I think is a problem as our backman are regularly overpowered (e.g. Walker and Fogarty last weekend).

I'm assuming Buckley will go to Curnow and hoping Keeffe is recalled for Aleer to play on McKay.

Problem is though that Kingsley said in Saturday's presser that he is going to stick with the current team.

I think that's setting us up for failure (the suggestions in this forum so far for changes seem common sense to me).

Another bluddy soft tissue injury.

What has changed in the fitness/conditioning regime?

Beyond ridiculous.

Edit: I wasn't the only one who suggested Coniglio didn't look right v Adelaide. And it was more than just being rusty after many weeks off. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he's a late out.

Last edited:
Yep. Geez it’s been a year of lack of leadership from our senior core. The only senior player who has stood up consistently has been Hogan.
Toby - worst form of the last 10 years. Kelly and Cogs - injury. Whitfield and HH - poor in the contest. Taylor - injuries. Ward - up and down (kicked it the wrong way in one game).

The whole club got ahead of themselves, thinking they’d make finals. Now they lost their hunger for the contest.

Kingsley and the coaches are also to blame imo. Some of the language has not been honest enough (publicly anyway).
This is so true. We heard Kingsley so often speak about peaking at the right time, and playing their best footy in the finals. Well it’s looking like we may not even get there, and I think this attitude is what has got them into that hole.

They took their eye off a week to week focus, and instead thought it was all going to click, and they would peak come finals. Cannot afford to do that. Huge learning for Adam, but the playing staff are experienced enough, I’m really disappointed in the leadership.

Another bluddy soft tissue injury.

What has changed in the fitness/conditioning regime?

Beyond ridiculous.

Edit: I wasn't the only one who suggested Coniglio didn't look right v Adelaide. And it was more than just being rusty after many weeks off. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he's a late out.

One guy went to the Bulldogs after last year

Play this week and hope for the best. Lose, put Cogs in for surgery, get games into guys. We need to find a genuine centre square mid, whether they are on the list or whether it's a trade week issue needs to be sorted out now.
If Cogs isn't right, no point in playing him. Play Peatling instead.i think it shows just how concerned about our midfield Kingsley is.
I think we just need bigger bodies in the midfield, at least if we continue to decline we get a good young midfielder in the draft.

They took their eye off a week to week focus, and instead thought it was all going to click, and they would peak come finals. Cannot afford to do that. Huge learning for Adam, but the playing staff are experienced enough, I’m really disappointed in the leadership.
Hard to argue with that. I think the slide started in that 3rd quarter against Carlton in Round 6. We had them dead to rights but weren't ruthless enough to go on with it. Ever since then, we haven't consistently been up for the fight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back