Game Day Round 17, 2021: Brisbane v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Think we're too small defensively, and are lacking any threat forward. The mids will have to be huge for any hope. Can't see us getting over the line personally. Brisbane are a quality outfit and have good form...hoping we don't get bullwhipped in the process, and that we can keep it respectable.

We have King, Membrey, Ro and Paddy rotating forward with Butler. There’s a few threats there no? They only have one Harris Andrews, he can’t take them all. Surely we can generate mismatches.

They’re a very good team but so are we (when we are switched on). If they’re down 10% and we’re switched on, it’ll be interesting.

Go Saints!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We have King, Membrey, Ro and Paddy rotating forward with Butler. There’s a few threats there no? They only have one Harris Andrews, he can’t take them all. Surely we can generate mismatches.

They’re a very good team but so are we (when we are switched on). If they’re down 10% and we’re switched on, it’ll be interesting.

Go Saints!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Maybe...hope you're right. Think Brisbane will need to be off by more than 10% myself. Membrey's role has changed significantly this year he might be good for a goal, big Roma and Paddy on a good day are worth 3 goals between them, and King isn't dominant enough to take a game on off his own boot. Our goals will have to come from other sources. Steele can go forward, Crouch, Jones, and Dunstan like a goal...I'm thinking a 9 maybe 10 goal game at best between the entire team. I just don't think it'll be enough. I think we'll try and give it a shake and play a hard game, but Brisbane don't mind that sort of game either...they won't be intimidated by us, so unless a guy like Butler, or Long kick a few I can't see us having the fire power.
It would be great to eat these words come the end of the match 😎

I don’t reckon they have to be off for us to beat them. When we play at our best (think West Coast and Richmond games) our pressure, and ball movement is elite. Our mids are as stocked as they will be this year, and it’s up to Butler and Long to take this opportunity to score goals, but at least you can presume they’ll provide good pressure. Up to the team to take their chances and make up for a temperamental season

The Lions forward line is very quick and agile, so the backline will need to man up close and get support from the midfield. We need to get more goals out of our forward half though, and that's been a problem all year.

On the Goldy this weekend for a wedding. Unfortunately it’s this arvo.

IOi89PI.gif

Just hoping that we remain competitive in all 4 quarters today.

It's going to be a huge set for our undersized defence. The Ryder/Marshall combo is going to have to be at their best and kicking a few goals to give us a decent chance. Harris Andrews dominated Max last year, so this will be a good test for him.

Will be interested to see how the mids go with Jones back in the mix, and whether that drastically changes the starting combos - Steele/Dunstan/Crouch have stated most centre bounces together but with Jones in the mix, does he now start in the majority of them and if so, where do we put the extra inside player.

Just hoping that we remain competitive in all 4 quarters today.

It's going to be a huge set for our undersized defence. The Ryder/Marshall combo is going to have to be at their best and kicking a few goals to give us a decent chance. Harris Andrews dominated Max last year, so this will be a good test for him.

Will be interested to see how the mids go with Jones back in the mix, and whether that drastically changes the starting combos - Steele/Dunstan/Crouch have stated most centre bounces together but with Jones in the mix, does he now start in the majority of them and if so, where do we put the extra inside player.
Steele forward more. He’s a genuine threat up there.

If we keep Dunstan in the team beyond this year and transition Clark in there- with enough other options for the backline- we should start playing Steele in the Dusty/Bont/Stringer/Petracca type role.

Imagine the luxury of being able to have one of him or Gresh forward for most of the game between them.

Last edited:

Go Saints!
Go Saints indeed!

They’re much closer to full strength than us though and playing in their home state (pretty sure they go really well at Metricon, while we’re pretty meh there), so it will be a hell of a good result if we win this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we win the middle today. Victory will go to the team with the defence that holds their own.
I think our guys are underrated.
Winner will be the team that wins the intercept ball. Brisbane are very good at this. Like elite good.

that’s the challenge.

judge whoever goes to Andrew’s on minimising his impact here. If they get a goal or two aswell. Even better.

Winner will be the team that wins the intercept ball. Brisbane are very good at this. Like elite good.

that’s the challenge.

judge whoever goes to Andrew’s on minimising his impact here. If they get a goal or two aswell. Even better.
Would prefer Marshall but King is likely

Need to win the clearance battle, bring it to ground in the forwardline and then lock it in there, with Butler, Long and perhaps periods of Steele forward.

Basically what we were doing when at our best last year.

We can play that game again now that we have the Ryder/Roma combo back, all the inside bulls, the height in the F50 and the pressure forwards.

Don’t let it up their end.

I’d take Andrew’s back to the goal line as often as possible. Don’t drop it in the spot 5 metres out from the square or we’ll get picked off.
Actually if Andrew’s takes King then Marshall comes more into play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back