Autopsy Round 17, 2021: Brisbane v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Just our luck, Luke finally breaks out as a very good mid after promising so much in his first year, and he gets offered the big bucks back home in Adelaide, (who could have had him for free- think they’re cursing their recruiting team?), and decides he’s had enough of the Saints and is going home.

if he leaves i wish him all the best, he needs to make this contract absolutely rain

Just our luck, Luke finally breaks out as a very good mid after promising so much in his first year, and he gets offered the big bucks back home in Adelaide, (who could have had him for free- think they’re cursing their recruiting team?), and decides he’s had enough of the Saints and is going home.
Well if he goes we will get a draft pick for him , but only 2nd round most probably and hopefully Gresham , Clark step up next year.

930f69b6bb8aa9a37c9dcd7a060bb10a

Can't see Dunstan leaving. We will pay up.

I think so too. Also comes across as a pretty loyal type of guy.
Obviously going to see what offers are out there, as he should.

I think so too. Also comes across as a pretty loyal type of guy.
Obviously going to see what offers are out there, as he should.
Like anyone he is going to try and make the most of his next contract - imagine what the guy was thinking when he was stuck playing at Sandringham - he will look at which contract will be best for him and will most probably look at the contract with the longest term.
We know Gold Coast has already let it be known they want mature players and he would be a ideal leader for the team.

The Sth Australian teams I would stay well clear - Port have enough mids like Dunstan and the Crows the way they dealt with that ex Blues captain I'd be reluctant to go there.
The Blues would be a good fit considering Zac Williams has turned into a spud.

But Dunstan on his current form might get us more than a 2nd round pick if Dunstan continues this form till the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’d be mad to leave now. He’s found his mojo and has made a position in the team his own.

It would take a very significant offer to tempt him away but we can’t take him for granted. Tom Morris said that Dunstan was told by the club after round 1 that he wouldn’t be playing seniors again this year. So it’s understandable that he will take his time to consider other offers.

I’m amazed how often I hear in the media, and even on here, regarding Dunstan, things like “if he leaves, so be it, I’ll wish him all the best” etc. etc.

Note to the club: WE CANT LET LUKE DUNSTAN LEAVE THIS FOOTBALL CLUB!!!!

I earn a decent crust but a long way from a rich man, and I’d pay an extra 100 bucks a month on top of my membership to a guy like Dunstan that puts in like he has the past few weeks.

Players like Luke Dunstan are the heart and soul of football clubs. We have to keep him at all costs. Let’s not be resigned to the fact that he will leave at seasons end.

And let’s not be dismissive of his impact lately. Get it through your heads if you don’t understand it already: Luke Dunstan is a massive part in why we are playing like we are since the bye (and why, if we keep playing like this, we can beat anyone in the comp).

Sign him up now!

I’m amazed how often I hear in the media, and even on here, regarding Dunstan, things like “if he leaves, so be it, I’ll wish him all the best” etc. etc.

Note to the club: WE CANT LET LUKE DUNSTAN LEAVE THIS FOOTBALL CLUB!!!!

I earn a decent crust but a long way from a rich man, and I’d pay an extra 100 bucks a month on top of my membership to a guy like Dunstan that puts in like he has the past few weeks.

Players like Luke Dunstan are the heart and soul of football clubs. We have to keep him at all costs. Let’s not be resigned to the fact that he will leave at seasons end.

And let’s not be dismissive of his impact lately. Get it through your heads if you don’t understand it already: Luke Dunstan is a massive part in why we are playing like we are since the bye (and why, if we keep playing like this, we can beat anyone in the comp).

Sign him up now!

06HaSt18MW2999.jpg

I know this is a stretch, but considering the trajectory of Ben Long, Luke Dunstan and even Dan McKenzie, is it possible that Josh Battle is being kept out of the side to be re-educated and redeployed. When he starts banging down the door in VFL hell come back in and have a similar impact?

Is this the Jake Bachelor effect?

How good was it to watch that Saints performance? If they can dish that effort and commitment out every week, then the footy is going to be much easier to watch, irrespective of the result.

It seems as though our internal review of a few weeks ago has had an affect on the team. First and foremost it looks like the selectors are getting it right by picking players who are in good form. Dunstan and McKenzie are the obvious examples, but Highmore, Byrnes and Connolly are also shining lights of how birth certificates are irrelevant. If you're playing well enough you're good enough.

The boys are clearly focussing on working for each other, and I'm pretty sure that is a by-product of the review. A lot more blocks and second efforts, strong communication, and high fives all round when things go well. The forwards and mids are working harder to make sure that entries into our defensive 50 are pressured. There also seems to be a more even sharing of the responsibility of moving the ball forward on rebound and offense. Which in turn has somehow brought Hill back in to the game. It's almost as if by having multiple prime movers its harder to lock down on any one of them. We are making better decisions around the ball showing more intent to lock it up, setup our structures and trust the process. Work hard. Setup. Work hard.

It also looks like we have changed the way we move the ball forward now. Gone is the wild run and gun play on at all costs give it to Hill attitude. It's more deliberate, eyes up, players forward of the ball working hard to get into space for an uncontested pass. What that means is that as we move the ball forward our defence is able to structure up behind the ball, and when there are turnovers we aren't getting caught out badly too often anymore. It still happens, but just not consistently. We are only getting beaten up now when opposition teams have gone into chaos mode playing on at all costs. All credit to the coaching group for recognising that change was required and making it so. I'll bet my bottom dollar the review facilitated the change.

Lethers took full responsibility for our early failings, and he seems to be pulling the right levers in his efforts to make us more competitive on the field.

Some other observations:

- The boys are playing with much more intensity and physicality. Somebody in the club has looked a few in the eye and demanded more from everyone. My money is on Longy calling out a few for squibbing the contest. Hill especially is much better in the clinches now and has stopped running past the ball. Credit to him. Best of all the boys aren't over committed to the tackle, they are trusting their teammates to make the tackles and lock the ball in while they man up around the contest. Gone are those moments when we would have 4 players on the ground and the ball spits out like a piece of soap and the opposition runs it forward in waves.

- We are so lucky to have Wilkie and Howard down back. Not only are they fantastic one on one exponents but their kicking is just so trustworthy. Webster another who has always been good by foot but seems to have really found a strong defensive mindset.

- Hill and Sinclair are forming an elite combination. Starting to run trick plays at the kickout to set each other up. This relationship could become as powerful as a Montagna & Dal Santo pairing. Loving watch both of these guys.

- Membrey moving behind the ball late in quarters is adding another dimension to his game.

- Highmore was touted as a brave intercept marker and that was on full show tonight. Bodylines the pill and just backs himself to get there first. What a find.

- Longy belongs in the forward line. I really hope that Ratts has communicated this clearly to him, and he is allowed to work on his forward craft over an extended period.

- Dunstan, Crouch, Jones in the middle means we get to see more of Steele resting forward and I think he is grossly underrated up front. If Membrey ever went missing Steele could fill his role flawlessly I reckon. Is he the best set shot on our team? I think that might be Connolly.

- If, and it's a big if, we can line up a few more wins and sneak into the eight then Paddy will need to be rested at some point. we need to get those wins in early so that we can rest a few at Round 23. This game against Port is huge!

- Just imagine the force of 2 Kings roaming around the forward half. Frightening really.

- I'm optimistic Dunstan stays IF we want him too. He just needs to be shown that he fits into the centre structure and I think today showed he does.

That was fantastic. Rounded the afternoon off here by watching Ash win Wimbledon. Great day. Was very dubious about how we would fare against the Lions but our aggression, intensity and skills did the trick. The Lions looked completely out of ideas towards the end.

What I really liked was all the unheralded guys playing well and having huge influence. Suddenly some of our fringe players might have currency. And suddenly some of our draft and trade choices don't look too bad. A month ago none of us would be saying anything of the sort.

Luke Dunstan has been an enigma. That guy who came in early in his career and was lauded by Lenny Hayes has finally consistently put terrific performances together. Maybe people put unrealistic expectations on him. Maybe he put unrealistic expectations on himself. It's maybe taken all this time for both parties to realise what he should do. Not his fault we had a need for outside midfielders and he was an inside. Suddenly he has currency both for himself, and for the club. We haven't treated him great. Told him he wouldn't be getting games this year. It was good to see him helping coach the AFLW team. Team/club guy. Going to be very interesting what happens with Luke at the end of the year.

Highmore looks the business. Webster has come back after looking finished brilliantly. Howard has been a great trade. Wilkie....brilliant. Sinclair just looks class. Hill is starting to be used well, and he's also putting in a bit more.

Steele is our best trade ever. Struggling to think of a better one. Has Long found his spot forward? He's so unpredictable. If he can kick a bit straighter he's a weapon. McKenzie is a super team player. Role player plus. Hard at it, and skills and confidence growing.

The young guys Connolly and Byrnes. Love their promise. Byrnes already maturing beautifully.

Anyway,.....could go on and on. Really happy with our turnaround. Looking forward not back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 17, 2021: Brisbane v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back