Review Round 17 = Collingwood 80-92 Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it interesting that Schultz cops so much criticism but Lipinski does not.

To my eye, Lippa is the biggest downhill skier in the side. He looks great when we’re flying but is never amongst our bests when we lose and never elevates himself to change the direction of a match. If not for injuries, he should be dropped.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I find it interesting that Schultz cops so much criticism but Lipinski does not.

To my eye, Lippa is the biggest downhill skier in the side. He looks great when we’re flying but is never amongst our bests when we lose and never elevates himself to change the direction of a match. If not for injuries, he should be dropped.

completely agree ..so timid in contests last night

I’m overseas so missed the post-game summary of injuries suffered last night. What’s the latest?

On a positive note, I’m very happy about the development of Kreuger as a forward option over the past month. He has speed and agility that is very rare amongst players of his size.

We shouldn’t be judging him on ruck output but instead as a 2nd/3rd tall forward. On that measure, he is going really well.

Freddy plays with great heart and could become a Best 22 lock if he can finally get a decent block of consecutive matches without injury under his belt.

Yes and no. Not sure if what Krueger is doing constitutes "development". He is more like a helium balloon when you let the air out, just fizzes around violently and randomly. But, he is our only hope!!

Relying on a high octane pressure style was also going to stretch our ageing lists capacity
It was fun whilst it lasted.
Still reckon we’ll have a few more reasons to smile this year.

Yes, Lipinski had a shocker, only 11 disposals and I know because he tipped me out of my same game multi, needed 15 :(

But has he ever been a consistent performer? He is up and down like so many. I think criticism comes from expectation, what you paid to get the player etc. He needed to be better to cover others, but when you take runners like Jaicos in to a game when he is clearly not fit it just does not end well for all concerned. Players know who shouldn't be out there and the opposition know how to exploit weaknesses. We are starting to get desperate in depth and over the next month we will begin to see many players continuing to play when they are not fit enough and their performances consequently will be criticised.

Btw, I think it’s poor for people to be potting Kruges in particular. He was fumbly early but had a good second half and was by far our best forward.
He did very little up forward. Most of his involvement came when he was in the ruck.

Not his fault though as there was **** all delivery and his time as a forward was cut short by going into the ruck.

What do people expect from an outside half forward flanker?

If we’re not getting the ball forward cleanly not sure how he can be expected to get in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was fun and we got a premiership
Definitely take that. Premierships are so hard to win and you need things to go right.
Arguably we defied our poor run of injuries to win the GF, with Nick missing 7 weeks before preliminary, Adams injured in Qualifying final, McStay in preliminary and Murphy in the first quarter of the GF.

Unfortunately our run with injuries this year has caught up with us. We have been competitive, but in an even competition can't help but being disadvantaged if your missing at least 4 first choice players each week.

Yes and no. Not sure if what Krueger is doing constitutes "development". He is more like a helium balloon when you let the air out, just fizzes around violently and randomly. But, he is our only hope!!

For a bloke who has only played a dozen games at AFL level, I think he shows a huge amount of promise. His long kicking is a real weapon and his combo of height, speed and agility makes him a very tough match up. Freddy’s four games this year have yielded 16 marks, 10 scoring shots (7.3) and 13 tackles. That’s a great start.

It’s a huge shame that Checkers is now out because now Kreuger will cop the best defender, at least until Cox and/or McStay are back.

Probably not much I can add that others haven’t already touched on but I’ve been stewing since the final siren so **** it lol. I found it bitterly disappointing how we can start red hot and then hit a literal brick wall and never get the game back on our terms. You always sort of know the opposition are gonna fight back, but then you expect it’ll be your turn again and that just never came. We’ve had some really fun wins under Fly in the last two and a bit years, but too many times we find ourselves flailing or being uncompetitive mainly through the second and third quarters of games.

Pendles - Closing in on 400 and we still ask way too much of him. He is the undisputed goat.

Sidebottom - 34 disposals looks good, think he’s a liability as a defender. Has lost his sharpness, fumbling and going to ground are killers.

Crisp - Genuinely didn’t notice him after his Alan Didak impersonation. Pretty much mirrored the team’s performance really

Naicos - Really just shows how much we rely on Nick. Was below his best standard, but I’m willing to give him a mulligan or 5 because he’s not Superman.

WHE - Wasn’t our worst, makes me nervous in the D50

Maynard - Don’t feel strongly either way. Just a part of a defensive unit that’s not defending well.

Markov - Said it last week, fairytale over. Sure he’s a great club man, but decision making and execution are questionable. Only room for he or Noble, I’m taking the latter.

DC - Draper wasn’t huge , neither was DC. Both a non-factor

JDG - Barely noticed him except for a 5 minute patch where he tried to make his presence known and got nailed holding the ball.

Moore - Thought he was trying too hard early, then melted and was a hot mess again imo. Had some moments and was better than last week, but that’s not saying much. The leader of the most unreliable defence we’ve had in a long while.

Krueger - Literally zero impact until DC was hurt and was forced to be involved in the play.

Dean - Won’t be overly critical of Chaz, inexperienced key defender who needs the support of defensive leaders but isn’t getting it atm.

Howe - A natural forward. I think I prefer the element of surprise with flicking him back their mid game, but as a target you know he’s usually gonna compete. Looked frustrated at times, don’t blame him with that delivery.

HH - He’s another one I can live with under performing. He’s young, kicked a nice goal, his output is heavily reliant on how the rest of the team is going. Not at the point of breaking games open by himself

Jaicos - Maybe harsh but probably shouldn’t have played. Might be giving him an out by saying his injury hampered him, but if they picked him and say he passed a fitness test, I expect more.

Lipinski - Bombers did their homework, they didn’t let him near it. A huge piece of score involvements gone

Mihocek - Always feel bad for key forwards on nights like last night. Does a lot of off the ball running to get others open. Essendon’s back 6 controlled the footy all night, delivery was poor.

IQ - Also said this last week, probably my most disappointing player of the year tbh. Was pushing AA last year, wouldn’t make a squad of 200 this year.

Richards - See HH

Schultz - I’ve backed him the last month or so, has been playing well imo. Horrendous last night. In saying that, hard to lay a tackle when Essendon (or any team) play that kick/mark style.

Hill - See Schultz, except it ****s me off when we get a flash of brilliance followed by an inexcusable skill error. Shake and bake to take a guy on, kick it straight to the opposition.

Frampton - He’s just not it. He feels like a bit of a meme, we all laugh when we win, stands out like a dog’s balls for all the wrong reasons when we lose.

Long - Showed more in his limited time than most did in a full game. Get rid of the sub rule!

What do people expect from an outside half forward flanker?

If we’re not getting the ball forward cleanly not sure how he can be expected to get in the game.

Can’t that same defence of Lippa also be applied to Schultz, who cops an incredible amount of criticism?

We will come home strong. Just a feeling. Lose perhaps one more before the finals. Hopefully top 4
Can’t see it but hope you’re right.

Expected a response to last weeks poor game and we didn’t get it. And against an arch rival too. So it’s hard to see us turning it around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 17 = Collingwood 80-92 Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back