Review Round 18, 2015: Geelong v Box Hill Hawks 15 August 2015, 11am @ Skilled Stadium (Kardinia Park)

Remove this Banner Ad

Cause one week he goes ballistic and next week he'll play like he doesn't care. If he did this and during his down weeks, looked like he's putting effort in, it wouldn't be half as bad.
Jarod Waite's made a living doing this.

13 goals to 6 in the second half. Excellent response after a poor first half. Good to have Anderson and Whitecross both putting in solid games today. This is why we've got good depth. Whilst neither Whitecross or Anderson are currently in our best 22, they've both played finals footy before and should they go an opportunity they could prove to be handy inclusions.

13 goals to 6 in the second half. Excellent response after a poor first half. Good to have Anderson and Whitecross both putting in solid games today. This is why we've got good depth. Whilst neither Whitecross or Anderson are currently in our best 22, they've both played finals footy before and should they go an opportunity they could prove to be handy inclusions.
Was it a poor first half or a strongly contested first half?

Was it a poor first half or a strongly contested first half?

Both. The effort we showed last week wasn't quite there during in the first half. A lack of intensity gave the Cats a sniff early. Considering the way Box Hill were able to finish off that second so half strongly meant there's plenty of upside heading into the finals.

Both. The effort we showed last week wasn't quite there during in the first half. A lack of intensity gave the Cats a sniff early. Considering the way Box Hill were able to finish off that second so half strongly meant there's plenty of upside heading into the finals.
Without doubt. But I've always been of the opinion that even the worst sides have 30-40 minutes of good football in them before they fall apart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Jones is a nephew of Dean Jones,(cricket) he is very proud of his nephew..Good to see:p:thumbsu:

Twitter from Dean Jones:

@ProfDeano: Proud to announce my nephew Chris Jones will play his first VFL game for Box Hill v Geelong this weekend !
@bowlologist HawthornFC

Last edited:
Sorry everyone for leaving the review so late, had barely any time home with the geelong trip then the game at the MCG.

It was a really weird game, I felt like they were dominating us in the first half, we couldn't move the ball out of their half and it seemed like there were more Geelong players on the field than Box Hill ones. Game was basically even at Half Time, then all of a sudden I looked at the scoreboard towards the end of the 3rd quarter and we were somehow 4 goals ahead. Really didn't feel like it. Last quarter the sting was out of the game and it was a training drill really with less pressure applied.

Jed - Regular solid game, showed some class and what doesn't show on the stats is the number of goal assists, I'm guessing close to 4-5?

WX - Regular game from him, still not sure what is to come because he was making mistakes and maybe decision making letting him down.

Simpkin - Had a dog day, got caught a lot while trying to take on players and didn't have much time and space so a nothing game for me.

Lithers - He needs to control himself and honestly he seems like a stupid player. Gave away either 2-3 50m penalties when the game was on the line and seemed to get incredibly frustrated as the day went on, especially towards #43 for Geelong (no idea who it was).

Heatherley - Pretty much didn't notice him, not many disposals but took a couple of solid last line in defence contested marks so that was encouraging

Grimley - I have no idea what to say about Grimley. He seems like the most uncoachable player. Work rate still an issue, stupid decision making is another, positioning himself behind the Geelong defenders when the kicker was 70m away from him, always behind the pack to try and get the ball over the top ala Breust, but somehow finished with a bag. I think 4 goals in the last quarter. I've always liked him set shot kicking action, he's a very accurate kick.

Willsmore - Again another game of floating around, got forward for a bit and deserved a goal (hit the post from memory) and played behind the ball a lot. Has a very good Hawthorn-esque left footed disposal, so he was involved in quite a few forward entries.

Miles - Nothing extraordinary, played well, ran hard, but no recollection of anything spectacular

Pittonet - Starting to show some more form. I looked at him at the start of the year and he was struggling, struggling around the ground to get marks, and really struggling in the hitouts, but he's gradually got more aggression as the year's gone on. Disposal for me was the worrying sign, he would have the ball from a stoppage situation (like a mark or free kick) and hand ball to someone running past but so poorly that it ruined the play.

Shem - Pushed up a bit more. Usually was just sitting in the F50 and obviously didn't get much of the ball but yesterday he was leading up outside the F50 to link up the play a bit more. No complaints about his game. Incredibly lucky for the bouncing goal in the last term, the Geelong player who let that through should be shot for somehow not committing himself to jump literally 5-10cms to touch the ball.

Langford - Usual Langers game as we would expect. Showed glimpses of pushing through packs and coming away with the ball, nice game. Need him now that Woodward is gone.

Duryea - A game as you would expect, didn't do anything too flashy in contests in D50 but played well and kicked well and got what we should expect.

Remind me if I've forgotten about someone.

About Jones, just seems like a VFL player, looks much taller than he is (only 195cm apparently) and I think he was leading goalkicker for Development side so far this season, like Peter McEvoy last season. Our forward line is very tall focused so not sure what will happen there. He led well, no big contested marks from memory. No complaints for someone in their first game.

Full-time in the development squad game.

Box Hill 16.9.105 defeated Frankston 11.6.72.

With this win we have secured top spot for the season.

Goals: Summers 4, Dimasi 2, Traynor 2, Murphy 2, Kidd 2, Langford, Crocker, Franetic, Adey.

Best: Dimasi, Traynor, Kidd, Monkhorst, Summers, Bond.

Last edited:
Sorry everyone for leaving the review so late, had barely any time home with the geelong trip then the game at the MCG.

It was a really weird game, I felt like they were dominating us in the first half, we couldn't move the ball out of their half and it seemed like there were more Geelong players on the field than Box Hill ones. Game was basically even at Half Time, then all of a sudden I looked at the scoreboard towards the end of the 3rd quarter and we were somehow 4 goals ahead. Really didn't feel like it. Last quarter the sting was out of the game and it was a training drill really with less pressure applied.

Jed - Regular solid game, showed some class and what doesn't show on the stats is the number of goal assists, I'm guessing close to 4-5?

WX - Regular game from him, still not sure what is to come because he was making mistakes and maybe decision making letting him down.

Simpkin - Had a dog day, got caught a lot while trying to take on players and didn't have much time and space so a nothing game for me.

Lithers - He needs to control himself and honestly he seems like a stupid player. Gave away either 2-3 50m penalties when the game was on the line and seemed to get incredibly frustrated as the day went on, especially towards #43 for Geelong (no idea who it was).

Heatherley - Pretty much didn't notice him, not many disposals but took a couple of solid last line in defence contested marks so that was encouraging

Grimley - I have no idea what to say about Grimley. He seems like the most uncoachable player. Work rate still an issue, stupid decision making is another, positioning himself behind the Geelong defenders when the kicker was 70m away from him, always behind the pack to try and get the ball over the top ala Breust, but somehow finished with a bag. I think 4 goals in the last quarter. I've always liked him set shot kicking action, he's a very accurate kick.

Willsmore - Again another game of floating around, got forward for a bit and deserved a goal (hit the post from memory) and played behind the ball a lot. Has a very good Hawthorn-esque left footed disposal, so he was involved in quite a few forward entries.

Miles - Nothing extraordinary, played well, ran hard, but no recollection of anything spectacular

Pittonet - Starting to show some more form. I looked at him at the start of the year and he was struggling, struggling around the ground to get marks, and really struggling in the hitouts, but he's gradually got more aggression as the year's gone on. Disposal for me was the worrying sign, he would have the ball from a stoppage situation (like a mark or free kick) and hand ball to someone running past but so poorly that it ruined the play.

Shem - Pushed up a bit more. Usually was just sitting in the F50 and obviously didn't get much of the ball but yesterday he was leading up outside the F50 to link up the play a bit more. No complaints about his game. Incredibly lucky for the bouncing goal in the last term, the Geelong player who let that through should be shot for somehow not committing himself to jump literally 5-10cms to touch the ball.

Langford - Usual Langers game as we would expect. Showed glimpses of pushing through packs and coming away with the ball, nice game. Need him now that Woodward is gone.

Duryea - A game as you would expect, didn't do anything too flashy in contests in D50 but played well and kicked well and got what we should expect.

Remind me if I've forgotten about someone.

About Jones, just seems like a VFL player, looks much taller than he is (only 195cm apparently) and I think he was leading goalkicker for Development side so far this season, like Peter McEvoy last season. Our forward line is very tall focused so not sure what will happen there. He led well, no big contested marks from memory. No complaints for someone in their first game.
So nothing much to get excited by it seems

So nothing much to get excited by it seems

Yeah it was a weird one, Jed was the main one who looked a class above, but TOB, O'Rourke, Sicily, Hardisty and whoever else I've forgotten about weren't playing and the rest who played just had a regular day. I'll wait to see what the stats show. I know Simpkin had a heap of the ball but as I said he was heavily manned up on so nothing too special.

Langers looks as fit as a bull. Spent most of the last Q at FF. Dropped a few marks so his timing is just off. Cant see him playing too many games at BHH.

Shem gets two mitts on the ball just about every time. Completely different type of player. He is a deadest monster, he always seems balanced so he is in a good position to make second and third efforts. Impressive game, his amount of development is just silly.

Jed spent a fair amount of time playing deep forward. Like Sizzle and Poppy he has the licence to go for species. Jed is too good for the VFL.

Nice game from Kurt. His marking is a treat. Would not surprise if he gets a run should we choose to rest a defender or two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 18, 2015: Geelong v Box Hill Hawks 15 August 2015, 11am @ Skilled Stadium (Kardinia Park)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back