Preview Round 18, 2021: Hawks v Dees, MCG 7:25pm Sat'd 17th July

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The quality of players out can’t be underestimated. We’re essentially missing speed and skill on the flanks across the entire field. In fact we are missing our best players on every line.

Scrimshaw is close to leading our best & fairest, Jiath arguably the most improved. It’s disappointing that we won’t get to see them anymore this season.

One positive I guess is that Grainger-Barras, Reeves, Jeka and Brockman all get some games under their belt over the next six weeks. Reeves has been making great progress in the VFL.
T Mitch and Jags are arguably our best players. Our next best 8 players are out injured.

How is the selected side going to win a game of football? No pace or outside class so quick ball movement off the table and midfield poor at clearances.

Seems our only hope is to clog it up and kick down the line, hoping our excessive number of talls can bring ball to ground where our mids can grind out the ball to the next contest. Appears a a horrible game of footy coming up.

Why not bring in some outside run and see what happens?

Now not saying we are any chance but surely have to set up to win and work on a game style that is actually sustainable? Yes team needs to learnt to lock down when outmatched but we play defensive crap almost every week

How is the selected side going to win a game of football? No pace or outside class so quick ball movement off the table and midfield poor at clearances.

Seems our only hope is to clog it up and kick down the line, hoping our excessive number of talls can bring ball to ground where our mids can grind out the ball to the next contest. Appears a a horrible game of footy coming up.

Now not saying we are any chance but surely have to set up to win and work on a game style that is actually sustainable? Yes team needs to learnt to lock down when outmatched but we play defensive crap almost every week
I'm not sure any 22 non-injured player mix would beat Melbourne this week, so why not just select players you want to get games into, i.e. Reeves, jeka, Lewis...

T Mitch and Jags are arguably our best players. Our next best 8 players are out injured.
And if that happened to any side in the comp , they would struggle . Doesnt matter who it is.

I think we all need to be pretty realistic about what may happen tomorrow night and in the next few weeks.

Have a feeling Big Boy may play the entire game in the goal square to take one of May or Lever away from the contest. Probably the best defensive combination in the league. If they play on Jeka and Kosi it will be a mauling and that's with all due respect to our boys. One day i'm confident they'd be able to break even or beat that pair, but not yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You should have told the team this before last weeks game they practised the opposite with Darcy in preparation......

Watch for us to go wide and Gawn to take mark after mark … like last time

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last time we had Kosi, McEvoy and TOB as talls.

This time we have Kosi, Lewis, McEvoy, TOB, Reeves and Jeka. That’s before any late changes, but with that many talls we shouldn’t be kicking it to Gawn.

I don’t think you can ignore the difference at ground level between Gunston, buddy and roughy compared with Lewis, Kosi and jeka. Tob is better than all of them so maybe we have named him as a small forward. 🤷‍♂️
I think we never looked "too tall" during that time not because of those guys being better than average at ground level for talls, but because Rioli, Poppy and Breust were so deadly at the crumbing roles. It was almost always one of those three who did the hard chasing of defenders trying to exit the ball, or cleaning up the ball at the foot of a marking contest.

Those 3 in their primes circling the feet of Lewis, Kosi and Jeka, and chasing down opposition defenders and we would look pretty good.

Anyway, this is about experimenting and finding out what aspects of it does or doesn't work. Whether that be players or how they play.

That is not correct at all. We don't just go wide against Melbourne. We hold and we wait for Max to get in position then we hit him lace out....

Last time we had Kosi, McEvoy and TOB as talls.

This time we have Kosi, Lewis, McEvoy, TOB, Reeves and Jeka. That’s before any late changes, but with that many talls we shouldn’t be kicking it to Gawn.
Agreed, we shouldn't - obviously, we still will - but we shouldn't.

That is not correct at all. We don't just go wide against Melbourne. We hold and we wait for Max to get in position then we hit him lace out....
Yes. Of late we hold the ball while the opposition organise their defence. I'd rather go down swinging than throw the towel in

All of our pace , outside run and class arent available . They are all out and at once, its not ideal and its bad luck.
The few at VFL arent ready .
Makes it very hard to select what you dont have.

Against GWS they played and we looked pretty good . That game should be the indicator of what we can expect next season.

Cant magically pick and select what you dont have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back