Preview Round 18, 2024 : Hawks v Dockers, 1:45pm Sat 13th July, UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like one of the bare minimum things the AFL could do to reduce WA club travel burdens is not make them play in Tas.

That said, I am glad this game is in Tas.
As long as it is direct it would actually be less travel time when including the time getting to the hotel.

A completely different sized ground to last week. All the things that didn’t work against the cats (our exits from backline) will work again this week.

Freo will be a good challenge. Hardly getting any media yet 3rd on ladder. Midfield is humming. May hope a soft game vs richmond stuffs them up.

Also feels like freo has played in Tassie a bit - won’t be completely foreign ground.

Way better chance of beating them than Geelong on the weekend, and 95% of this board were certain we'd beat them.

Dockers are not intimidating at all. They were beaten comprehensively by the Bulldogs recently and West Coast earlier in the season.

We'll be spitting fire after a lacklustre trip to Geelong.
You yourself expressed surprise at how bullish this board was about our chances against Geelong, so I’m not sure why you’d decide to use that as a yardstick?

Fremantle were the first team to knock off Sydney in 3 months, and they travelled from WA to do it.

Our coaching staff will be more focused on how Fremantle beat Sydney two weeks ago than getting done in a derby way back in April don’t you think?

FWIW - I also expect we will play better this week in Tasmania than last week, but people are kidding themselves if they think this won’t be a tough game to win against a resurgent team who have had the wood in us since 2019.

Last edited:

Mitch Lewis torn ACL. Knee reconstruction required

The Hawthorn social media post said 'injured' ACL and out 'for the season'.

That to me sounded like an avoidance of using the word 'rupture' and 'a full year'.

Unless I've missed those key words in a separate article.

If Dear is back should we bring him and Scaife in, with Lewis being out for a while and start up a forward partnership between them.

You yourself expressed surprise at how bullish this board was about our chances against Geelong, so I’m not sure why you’d decide to use that as a yardstick?

Fremantle were the first team to knock off Sydney in 3 months, and they travelled from WA to do it.

Our coaching staff will be more focused on how Fremantle beat Sydney two weeks ago than getting done in a derby way back in April don’t you think?

FWIW - I also expect we will play better this week in Tasmania than last week, but people are kidding themselves if they think this won’t be a tough game to win against a resurgent team who have had the wood in us since 2019.

I'm actually not too fussed with recent history against Fremantle. We've been a poor side for the duration of that stretch and usually only play them once a year.

I'm looking at the ruthlessness on display in the aftermath of the Port Adelaide loss and expecting a response just like it.

I think we're a huge chance of winning on the weekend. No certainties, and I'm not saying we'll win by a lot, but I my gut feel is that the response will be huge after a poor showing.

To clarify, I expected to be beaten by Geelong but probably didn't expect it to be as uncompetitive as it was. I doubt the group will put forward two performances like that in a row.

Last edited:
I think you may as well reward Scaife now, given the forward situation. Has averaged 5+ marks and 4+ scoring shots per game, why not see how he gets on. But Sam wasn't happy with forward pressure and Scaife is not the type to help there. I know it doesn't fully line up with VFL form but I see a good argument to bring Chad in if Ginni doesn't get up. Experienced, has something to prove and will hunt with pressure.

Worst case with injured players coming back
In: Scaife, Wingard, Serong
Out: Lewis, Mitchell, Breust

Is McCabe a chance to debut? Looked good on the weekend. 12 disposals and 5 marks in half a game is good going. Took a great mark on the wing and looked all class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is McCabe a chance to debut? Looked good on the weekend. 12 disposals and 5 marks in half a game is good going. Took a great mark on the wing and looked all class.

He looked exceptional but it was one VFL half. If he debuted he'd be lucky to survive at 65% time on ground against match hardened players, stronger than him, going at a pace he's never experienced. It's setting him up for failure imo. At least let him get a good 4 quarters in.

We should be able to play this one a lot more on our terms than we did at GMHBA which will hopefully give us a real chance at overcoming the Dockers.

Sicily and Ginni back would make a huge difference. I'd love to have a look at Finn playing as a defensive fwd on Clark – he was quite good at that role in the game vs Gold Coast. Might **** up our structures too much though

Scrimshaw 😂

Adam Sandler GIF by IFC
I meant to say Seamus, seeing as I named Scrimshaw 😭

Horrible news for Mitch, hopefully a speedy recovery.

Few possible outs with - Seamus, Morrison, Breust, and obviously Lewis with injury.

The possible ins - Dear, Sicily/Ginnivan (test dependent), Maginness, Ward, Bennetts/Wingard.

IN - Dear, Sicily, Ginnivan
OUT - Lewis (inj), Seamus, Morrison

This game determines where the group is at.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back