Preview Round 18 2024 - Richmond Tigers v GWS Giants, Sunday 14 July, 3.20 pm AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I expected to sit down to write this preview, feeling very much like Land of the Giants did last week in penning his preview for the Carlton game. Instead, I am significantly uplifted by the boilover result against the Blues, especially after the first quarter drubbing we suffered. The second and third quarters of the Blues game were seriously great footy, and would beat any team in the comp. But we have to stop allowing the run of goals that the first quarter had (the second quarter in the previous two games, the third quarter before that etc - all throughout this season).

Richmond has fallen into last place, on the back of a heavy injury toll throughout this season, plus their general loss of talent after 3 flags. But it doesn't mean they are not dangerous, as our Sydney city cousins found out earlier in the year with their loss. But they've only got the 2 wins, and even at the MCG we must take the 4 points against them to shore up our spot in the top 8. It's still an absolute dogfight for the finals and losing to the likely wooden spoon side would be catastrophic.

The Carlton game showed where we can win. We have to get our running game going - but find the connection so we don't end up with the ball coming back over our heads. Joe Fonti was very good in his debut, and it will be interesting to see what the match committee does if Lachie Ash is available. Cumming was good in his second game back from a long injury lay-off, kicking 2 great goals. It may be that Cumming and Fonti could take up opposite wing roles - which would fix a deficiency in our game style if it works. The mids and ruck came good after the first quarter, and Snooze had another great run-with role, so we need to bottle and keep that. Just need them to crack in harder and run both ways when they're not getting their hands on the ball.

The forward line clicked, especially for Jesse Hogan, whose hands were incredibly sticky against Carlton. All of the forwardline played a role. Cadman is still not quite there, but Brown didn't really do himself any favours in VFL. I don't expect Kingers to revert to a 2 KPD forward line and bring in another small, but the forwards and wingers did their job as we kicked over 100 points for the first time in ages.

So, I don't expect to see too many personnel changes, with just Ash possibly coming back from injury (but Fonti doing so well in his absence), and the only question mark really around Cadman. However, you may see it differently - what are your thoughts? And how does Richmond approach this game against a former assistant coach - can they spring an upset?

So, I don't expect to see too many personnel changes, with just Ash possibly coming back from injury (but Fonti doing so well in his absence), and the only question mark really around Cadman. However, you may see it differently - what are your thoughts? And how does Richmond approach this game against a former assistant coach - can they spring an upset?
Nope, Richmond won’t spring an upset! Our respective ladder positions aptly show that we should comfortably win this game on Sunday.

A slight concern I have is that we have never ever beaten Richmond in any of the 7 games we’ve played against them in the MCG. However, (unwanted) records are meant to be broken, and Kingsley especially should be extra motivated to beat Richmond.

Nope, Richmond won’t spring an upset! Our respective ladder positions aptly show that we should comfortably win this game on Sunday.
Wasn't Adelaide second or third last a few weeks ago..

Excellent write-up Giant Strides.

I would be hesitant to make any changes considering next week's opposition.

Perhaps Ash for Peatling would be the only change.

If Cadman and Aleer don't fire against Richmond, that's it for me.

I don't think expecting a 100+ point victory is unrealistic. This is a percentage-boosting game - the Giants must take that advantage.

I don't think expecting a 100+ point victory is unrealistic. This is a percentage-boosting game - the Giants must take that advantage.
Historically, we have rarely performed to expectations of a massive victory, so I won't hold my breath for one such here. Just a solid, comfortable win would be sufficient for me. Not a loss. Not a "last gasp" win either.

Historically, we have rarely performed to expectations of a massive victory, so I won't hold my breath for one such here. Just a solid, comfortable win would be sufficient for me. Not a loss. Not a "last gasp" win either.
Totally agree. There are no expected wins for us. Have to go flat out.
I think Leek needs a spell. I’d give Derksen a go.
Put Buckley straight on Balta. Bedford picks up Bolton when he’s in the midfield. They are their two threats. Negating them should be a priority.
I’d keep Fonti in.

It's a really intriguing tactically for Bedford. Tigers don't have anyone worth hard tagging. Does he go to the pocket where he isn't as effective or he stays in the mid? I think he should stay in the middle with his intensity and speed.

Joe Fonti must stay. I can't believe he was pick 44! His link up in the half back area was huge factor in the 2nd qtr tsunami.

Probably Finn's best game this season. Let's hope he continues on this path.

McMullin goes to the bench, he deserved to stay. Bedford in the centre, Green and Cog to follow.
Darcy at the half forward pocket.

C: Ward, Bedford, Finn
HF: Brent D, Riccardi, Darcy
F: Greene, Hogs, Harvey/Cadman

Ward should be rotated with Fonti/Darcy at MCG. His stop/start speed was noticeably slow but he compensated with his class.

Also, important to not be arrogant, as Chad Warner was today, at least that's how I saw it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ash for Aleer is about the only change I can think of. Fonti deserves to hold his spot and Aleer has dropped a bit of form. I know it’s not like for like but if it’s only minimal changes then that’s the obvious one. Another option might be Haynes for Aleer & Ash for Peatling with Muff back to the bench.

Maybe XO for Peatling but I saw him hobbling a bit after the game, not sure if he picked something up or was just sore.

I think Keefe might be a good inclusion, I am not sure if he replaces Cadman or Aleer, but one of them.
Could Cadman or Aleer be the sub?

Keefe for Aleer a very fair call - particularly given his experience on the G.

Aleer is the future, but badly beaten last night and may need to drop down to reset.

Would also be interesting to judge Keefe’s 2024 capabilities at AFL level.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Keefe for Aleer a very fair call - particularly given his experience on the G.

Aleer is the future, but badly beaten last night and may need to drop down to reset.

Would also be interesting to judge Keefe’s 2024 capabilities at AFL level.

Why wouldn’t we give Derksen a go. He’s been solid in the vfl this year.

Just feeling that what Aleer was missing last night was experience and cunning.
Not sure if this was discussed in the other thread or not but what I noticed was that Aleer would bump the ball instead of marking the ball in many instances last night.

In many instances this would cause us to be put under pressure.

Unclear of the reasoning for bumping instead of marking the ball when it appeared he had an opportunity to mark.

That’s a fair shout too.

Just feeling that what Aleer was missing last night was experience and cunning.

I was getting over him trying to punch every incoming kick instead of trying to mark the bloody thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back