Preview Round 18 2024 - Richmond Tigers v GWS Giants, Sunday 14 July, 3.20 pm AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he injured? Didn’t play VFL. He’d be the obvious choice but would be odd to give him a debut off missing the VFL game.
Yes, I would love to see Wade make his all deserved debut, but can’t see it happening for the Richmond game.

Also, important to not be arrogant,

Very true.

GWS has the talent to absolutely blitz Richmond, and they should.

What I'll be looking for is the low percentage, no-look kind of stuff (TFG being the main culprit at the moment).

That'll be my barometer on whether they're being arrogant, thinking this will be an easy win or showing the opposition respect and beating them on pure ability.

I was getting over him trying to punch every incoming kick instead of trying to mark the bloody thing.

Yes - and unfortunately he's not alone when players double-fist for the spoil instead of taking the mark.

Cumming in the 1st quarter about 60m at HF - by himself - and goes the double-fist.

A number of "What are you doing?" or similar, rang out around me when that happened.

Yes - and unfortunately he's not alone when players double-fist for the spoil instead of taking the mark.

Cumming in the 1st quarter about 60m at HF - by himself - and goes the double-fist.

A number of "What are you doing?" or similar, rang out around me when that happened.
Those exact words were ringing around my house as well

Also, important to not be arrogant, as Chad Warner was today, at least that's how I saw it.
I think there has been a few games we have gone in arrogant and been caught out. Adelaide, Hawthorn.
Which is what concerns me about the tigers this week.

Interesting week at the selection table.
I'm not touching that forward line. Cadman ran decoys and tackled hard around the ball...had a shocking last 2 mins of the game. He's getting the perfect apprenticeship and his time will come playing the No1 role in time.
Thomas, Jones and McMullin all played their roles well....the pace was blistering at times. Brown can find some form in VFL.

I'm leaving Aleer in. He's been beaten by experience more than anything else. I'm leaving him out there until Taylor comes back.

Ash probably comes back in....but Fonti was fantastic. Love to see him get more games, he was aggressive and his agility and composure had me excited.

Can't get over how good Cumming was.
Losing Perryman with Cumming, Fonti, Fahey staying wouldn't be devastating.

If we can play at the same intensity against the Tigers I think we can start to build some momentum again...that's the standard.

I think there has been a few games we have gone in arrogant and been caught out. Adelaide, Hawthorn.
Which is what concerns me about the tigers this week.
I assume our players saw Warner play yesterday ( charging into the St kilda players) and are thinking what a "wally", I need to be sure I am not like that.

Last edited:
I reckon he is best suited to a spare defender role… like Haynes in his prime, or Tom Stewart.
Spot on.

A 3rd defender who is also a sweeper.

Himmelberg can go further forward once Aleer recaptures his confidence.

I feel that Aleer is a confidence player and dropping him to the reserves won't achieve much at the moment. I think he will regain his form once Taylor returns. He needs to be led. If he still struggles then drop him.

I assume our players saw Warner play yesterday ( charging into the St kilda players) and are thinking what a "wally", I need to be sure I am not like that.

To be a bit critical, I thought Coniglio was a bit like that too on the weekend.

Got caught holding the ball a number of times trying to do too much (reminded me of Whitfield trying to side-step the man on the mark and getting caught multiple times, especially last year).

Similarly his disposals were a bit off as well and gave away 4 frees.

A very average game for him, but like Warner, most likely an anomaly.

To be a bit critical, I thought Coniglio was a bit like that too on the weekend.

Got caught holding the ball a number of times trying to do too much (reminded me of Whitfield trying to side-step the man on the mark and getting caught multiple times, especially last year).

Similarly his disposals were a bit off as well and gave away 4 frees.

A very average game for him, but like Warner, most likely an anomaly.
He was put under pressure both times he got caught, he wasnt show boating.
He could have offloaded it quickly, but it would have been a dump offload.
Cogs often tries to buy himself time and it works overall, but he also gets caught more than most. I think overall it is a good trade off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was put under pressure both times he got caught, he wasnt show boating.
He could have offloaded it quickly, but it would have been a dump offload.
Cogs often tries to buy himself time and it works overall, but he also gets caught more than most. I think overall it is a good trade off.

I agree he wasn't show-boating - just underestimated the opposition IMO. If it was just the once, no problem, but he got caught a second time which irked me a bit.

An 'in-form' Coniglio might have read the situation a bit better - perhaps 2nd game back and still a few cobwebs.

can’t do to much when he gets a pass under pressure

That's a bit of an ongoing problem.....

I think many of us have mentioned it before, but sometimes it's better to just take the tackle and not try to side-step your way out of trouble as the secondary line of defense is the one that catches you.

It was the second HTB that really got to me.

We could still appeal though?
Keeffe can enter an early guilty plea and have his suspension replaced with a $600 fine and reprimand. Should he elect to challenge the charge, Keeffe risks being unavailable for selection at both AFL and VFL levels in their next matches.

Yikes. I’d take a one point win after what happened against Hawthorn and Adelaide.
So would I.

But I still don't think it's unrealistic to expect a big win.

And 'just winning' really isn't good enough considering the team currently in 13th still has a strong chance of making the finals.

Percentage is crucial. Time to put the foot down when we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back