Review Round 18, 2024 - West Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian rules football will survive without tackling. Sure, it will look a little different, but it will be just fine. They may have to do away with the mark as a trade off.

I honestly mean no offence, but I genuinely can’t tell if this post is satirical.

So if suspensions are now based on outcomes what happens when a teammate accidentally knocks another teammate out? Do they get suspended?

What really irritates me is that players like Butters has escaped suspension all year for punching people off the ball but perfectly legal tackles such as Charlie’s & Bedford get 3 weeks.

Mind boggling and not to be dramatic and “old man yelling at clouds” style but it’s going to ruin the game if players can’t tackle anymore without fear of suspension.

I’m all for stamping out dangerous sling tackles, running past the ball to go for the bump ect. Those days of rough, “attempt to hurt the opposition” were gone 20 years ago. But players need to be able to play to a degree of aggression in a contact sport. The whole intent to bring them to ground thing is kind of the point isn’t it? How’re you meant to tackle 90kg+ athletes running at full speed if you go in soft?

That is what the rule says though. If butters had knocked someone out with a punch behind the ball, he'd be getting an 8 game ban.

I don't have an issue with dangerous tackles being more a focus of the MRO/tribunal - but the question is whether they've got the balance right on decisions.

That is what the rule says though. If butters had knocked someone out with a punch behind the ball, he'd be getting an 8 game ban.

I don't have an issue with dangerous tackles being more a focus of the MRO/tribunal - but the question is whether they've got the balance right on decisions.
I’m aware. I’d just like to see more “actions” punished over outcomes. Bedford lays a perfectly executed, legal tackle with no malice or intent to cause harm and gets suspended for three weeks because his opponent accidentally cops a knock and is concussed.

Butters intentionally punches and jabs people off the ball and cops the odd fine. Likewise Pendlebury on Neale ect.

I find it backwards.

Completely serious. I give the tackle 20 years, max. By 2050 there will be no tackling in Australian rules football at any level.

I can see that too. But the stuff about the game being fine and getting rid of marks lost me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m aware. I’d just like to see more “actions” punished over outcomes. Bedford lays a perfectly executed, legal tackle with no malice or intent to cause harm and gets suspended for three weeks because his opponent accidentally cops a knock and is concussed.

Butters intentionally punches and jabs people off the ball and cops the odd fine. Likewise Pendlebury on Neale ect.

I find it backwards.

Outcome has to be part of a tribunal system on some level. It should go to the severity of the punishment. The problem is that the MRO is not scrutinising every tackle that is forceful and say levying fines for leaving your feet etc.

I can see that too. But the stuff about the game being fine and getting rid of marks lost me.
It will probably become more like Gaelic footy, which honestly is a great sport.

I just wonder if tackling is removed, whether there will become too much of an imbalance towards the team in possession if the rest of the rules remain "as is".

It will probably become more like Gaelic footy, which honestly is a great sport.

I just wonder if tackling is removed, whether there will become too much of an imbalance towards the team in possession if the rest of the rules remain "as is".

You are literally scaring me.

Completely serious. I give the tackle 20 years, max. By 2050 there will be no tackling in Australian rules football at any level.
Sadly I agree although I think the tackle will be gone within 10 years.... flying for marks possibly as well, feet planted marks only.

Within 20 years I can see combat sports like MMA, boxing etc being completely outlawed but they will go underground Fight Club style.

Some are trying to make life risk free which is impossible, complete madness.

Sadly I agree although I think the tackle will be gone within 10 years.... flying for marks possibly as well, feet planted marks only.

Within 20 years I can see combat sports like MMA, boxing etc being completely outlawed but they will go underground Fight Club style.

I don’t agree about the UFC when people like Dana White have invested in that slapping the face league and bare knuckle fighting leagues which are going next level.

Whilst over in here Australia we are playing tiddly winks and bowing down to litigation.

Just out of interest - are there any collision injuries in Gaelic footy?

If we now have an "outcomes" based MRO system why wasn't Moore charged for his knee into Petracca that could have cost him his life and likewise the incident breaking Witts' back. Surely, these were inherently dangerous and foreseeable actions and must be stamped out.
Because he is St Darcy Moore , captain of Collingwood .
He can do anything he wants .

I can certainly see knees up in marking contests being banned within 10 years.
Not sure about the tackle.
Can’t see how that could happen.

I can certainly see knees up in marking contests being banned within 10 years.
Not sure about the tackle.
Can’t see how that could happen.
Either this or a softer version of it >

Tackling in Gaelic Football is confined to tackling the ball. It is illegal to trip, punch, hold, drag, pull or rugby tackle another player. It is legal, however, to make full body contact as long as it is a clear attempt to win the ball.

Just out of interest - are there any collision injuries in Gaelic footy?
I'm not as closely involved any more as I used to be. But back when I played you could absolutely bump shoulder to shoulder (essentially what we in Australia would call a hip and shoulder) whilst in pursuit of the ball.

Indeed, one time I was playing a state game and our captain, a tall, strong, hard running midfielder who also captained his Aussie rules team in winter, got completely ironed out by his (Irish) opposite number. Completely legal, in play, ol mate later said it was one of the best bumps he'd ever copped, in either code.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 18, 2024 - West Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Back