Review Round 18, 2024 - West Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I posted the same yesterday, that tackle does not even register if Duggan gets straight up, bizarre process the AFL have going here.

Also posted that Cam Rayner does driving tackles and they look great, if he happens to concuss someone does he cop 3 weeks?

Yeah I think he does on this precedent. At least for the dumping tackles they’ve started charging people on the potential for injury so there is some consistency and you can adjust your behaviour.

Tackling with force = strict liability, so don’t do it!

It's self evident that Charlie didn't apply any force and was just hanging on but impossible to PROVE he didn't.

But 3 weeks ???? That's a joke. And not comparable to dozens of others who got 1 or 2

The AFL is running the comp. like Stalag 13

Charlie is gone, but, IMO, it is the law that is at fault. 3 weeks, or nothing. They were never going to let him off.That is the only current options. There has to be some middle ground. Mitigating circumstance should be recognised.

And any repeated concussion in a season must be a month off. Two sides to the coin, Laura.

I definitely think she's a worry.

Talks like a bit of a know all as well.

But because she's a woman we need to be careful of what we say.
And that’s the reason why people won’t speak out in fear of being labelled whatever and the fear of the cancel culture all because you supposedly can’t say anything negative about a woman. I treat all equally and I’d that means going hard at whoever, so be it.

I bet they already know they are going to let Bedford off and that it will be enough to satiate the masses.

Charlie is the one who will suffer so they can keep the system ambiguous enough to keep doing whatever the **** they want.
I don't think Bedford can get off either. From the 2024 AFL tribunal document:
3. Rough Conduct (Dangerous Tackles)
» The Player being tackled is in a vulnerable position (e.g. arm(s) pinned) with little opportunity to protect himself;
» An opponent is slung, driven or rotated into the ground with excessive force (for example, a run down tackle where the tackled player is driven into the ground with excessive force).

So... Taranto's arms were pinned and it was a run down tackle and the player hit the ground with excessive force.
Which means he will probably get off so there is even less understanding of what the hell is going on.

Yeah I think he does on this precedent. At least for the dumping tackles they’ve started charging people on the potential for injury so there is some consistency and you can adjust your behaviour.

Tackling with force = strict liability, so don’t do it!
That would leave the tackler open to injury IMO, I played a bit or Rugby League in my youth and a lot of soccer and Futsal, from my experience when you go into a physical contest hesitant or half hearted that is when you are more likely to get injured.

There is nothing surer than the tackle will eventually be banned in our sport.

And that’s the reason why people won’t speak out in fear of being labelled whatever and the fear of the cancel culture all because you supposedly can’t say anything negative about a woman. I treat all equally and I’d that means going hard at whoever, so be it.

I’ve never hyper focussed on the head of football. They are just press secretaries selling the policies of the CEO and Commission.

This fish is rotting from the head.

I think what's clearly disturbing is that she made arguments that weren't supported by the vision or by anyone who's ever played the game and the Tribunal (apparently) accepted them.
I think Lisa Hannan was arguing the case on behalf of the AFL. I think it's clearly disturbing that the tribunal accepted that opinion, rather than the vision and evidence of the player who was involved in the incident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done Laura Kane who will single handedly ruin the game; been telling people for ages she’s bad news.

I would like to know what charge West Coast should cop for playing a player susceptible to concussions so easily?

I maintain that had Duggan not been concussed, dipsh!t Christian doesn’t even review it.
DEI = DIE

Its a pity our family love the brisbane lions so much as i could just walk away from the game but i know it will never happen.

Yep, if they switched to lacrosse, ice hockey or esports I’d probably just happily go along for the ride.

Up the Lions. **** the AFL.

Its a pity our family love the brisbane lions so much as i could just walk away from the game but i know it will never happen.
It’s how i feel. If i didn’t love the Lions as much as i do, I could easily be done with it. All thanks to the lawyers and morons running the game. Of course I don’t want to see players hurt like we lost Clarke, Maguire etc but bloody hell have some middle ground FFS, otherwise play netball / touch rules and make sure to bubble wrap all players at the same time.

Giants are arguing impact as well,they’ll probably reduce it to 2 so he can tag Lachie Neale

So if suspensions are now based on outcomes what happens when a teammate accidentally knocks another teammate out? Do they get suspended?

What really irritates me is that players like Butters has escaped suspension all year for punching people off the ball but perfectly legal tackles such as Charlie’s & Bedford get 3 weeks.

Mind boggling and not to be dramatic and “old man yelling at clouds” style but it’s going to ruin the game if players can’t tackle anymore without fear of suspension.

I’m all for stamping out dangerous sling tackles, running past the ball to go for the bump ect. Those days of rough, “attempt to hurt the opposition” were gone 20 years ago. But players need to be able to play to a degree of aggression in a contact sport. The whole intent to bring them to ground thing is kind of the point isn’t it? How’re you meant to tackle 90kg+ athletes running at full speed if you go in soft?

Listening to Gerard Healy on way home he said this was the most obvious decision tonight to not be suspended. His words was you could see Duggan contributing to the roll and forward motion. Easy decision to scrub the 3 game suspension. Gobsmacked he was with decision.
As Gerard went on to say:

"So not even a free kick on Sunday but a 3 week suspension on Tuesday"

There is another supreme irony in all of this. The AFL on one hand defends its umpires against public criticism for controversial or even blatantly wrong decisions in play.

Yet they themselves refuse to accept the decision of an umpire who, standing only metres away decided the Charlie tackle wasn't even worthy of a free kick

Abosolute hypocrisy .

Get stuffed AFL

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 18, 2024 - West Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Back